Jian (See)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305265 by
Replied by on topic Jian (See)

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote: Perhaps we could start by not denigrating those people here who volunteer their time and energy to empower, enlighten, and teach.

When you speak of those people here who give their time and energy to empower, enlighten and teach, exactly who are you referring to?

Why should that matter? Ideas, not people. Or is there a list of people whom it's okay to insult?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305266 by

Atticus wrote: Why should that matter? Ideas, not people. Or is there a list of people whom it's okay to insult?

My point, and the reason I asked, is that those words, empower, enlighten, teach should describe everyone that contributes here on a regular basis, being both in reception of those things and imparting those things. Just thought it should be clarified.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305267 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote: Why should that matter? Ideas, not people. Or is there a list of people whom it's okay to insult?

My point, and the reason I asked, is that those words, empower, enlighten, teach should describe everyone that contributes here on a regular basis, being both in reception of those things and imparting those things. Just thought it should be clarified.

Everyone that contributes here regularly? :D Careful what you wish for.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305269 by

Atticus wrote: Everyone that contributes here regularly? :D Careful what you wish for.

I didn't wish for anything? I'm not sure what you mean?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305270 by
Empower, enlighten, teach and EDIFY. The last one is equally important here and in life. Pointing out faults does little if we can't help build them up.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #305271 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote: Everyone that contributes here regularly? :D Careful what you wish for.

I didn't wish for anything? I'm not sure what you mean?

I mean that you seem to be proposing a problematic standard, one wholly dependent on the judgments of others. (EDIT: and one we are all likely to fail at times)

"Use every man after his desert, and who should ’scape whipping?"
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305274 by

Atticus wrote: I mean that you seem to be proposing a problematic standard, one wholly dependent on the judgments of others. (EDIT: and one we are all likely to fail at times)

I don't see it as a standard, problematic or not. I see it as an attribute of contribution here. Who else but others would judge such a thing? Are you proposing some universal standard beyond that?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305281 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote: I mean that you seem to be proposing a problematic standard, one wholly dependent on the judgments of others. (EDIT: and one we are all likely to fail at times)

I don't see it as a standard, problematic or not. I see it as an attribute of contribution here. Who else but others would judge such a thing? Are you proposing some universal standard beyond that?

I'm not proposing any standard at all, although I suppose you could say that I'm asking for a little more civility and fewer over-generalizations.

What does it mean then when you make a statement like "those words, empower, enlighten, teach should describe everyone that contributes here on a regular basis", if you're not proposing some measure that you feel the aforesaid "everyone" should be held to? How would one measure it? What happens when we fail to live up to it in the moment? Who decides?

Or is your statement meant as nothing more than a sort of over-generalized grumble?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305284 by

Atticus wrote: I'm not proposing any standard at all, although I suppose you could say that I'm asking for a little more civility and fewer over-generalizations.

What does it mean then when you make a statement like "those words, empower, enlighten, teach should describe everyone that contributes here on a regular basis", if you're not proposing some measure that you feel the aforesaid "everyone" should be held to? How would one measure it? What happens when we fail to live up to it in the moment? Who decides?

Or is your statement meant as nothing more than a sort of over-generalized grumble?

Grumble? lol no not a grumble, just a clarification like I said. Your statement implied a class of people and I just thought it important to point out that any and all of us that contribute here can carry those attributes. I didn't mean to imply that all of us always do either, just that any of us have that capability. And its based on individual ability in each of us to recognize those times as one that imparts a wisdom. It may be a personal wisdom or one that strikes many. My point sort of ties in with Zenchis comments on Rank. Rank alone does not impart the ability to convey Empowerment, enlightenment or teach/edify.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305292 by
Correct Kyrin. Ranks here, at least to me, simply represent a level of responsibility to service. Nothing more.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi