The Problems with TotJO

More
6 years 11 months ago #284973 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic The Problems with TotJO
I may have missed something in the other communication streams - but as far as I can tell the (plaintiff?) hasn't mentioned anything about plagiarising or theft of IP (uhh, intellectual property :P )

Is this the issue, or are we running off without confirmation that this is the reason for concern over journal security?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #284977 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Problems with TotJO
I really like your use of the confidential tag idea JamesSand. Only Council, Admins and Moderators, along with the author could see the work.

While as mentioned it misses the point and function of the Temple... if someone feels compelled to do the IP here anyway for the sake of doing the IP then that would work..... mind you all the other functions of the Temple dedicated to supporting students and promotion would be shortcircuited and cease to function. So no-one has ever done it to my knowledge and probably instead just would instead keep it offline.
Code:
[confidential]secret squirrel stuff[/confidential]

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #284978 by
Replied by on topic The Problems with TotJO

Rex wrote: In general though, there's very little motivation to plagiarize material, so it seems like a non-issue.
In general, it's rather immature to just complain about something if you don't have proof its an issue or a solution to it.

Actually, plagiarism has happened several times in IP journals, and it's pretty easy to see. IP Team members are trained to look for it.

More
6 years 11 months ago #284981 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic The Problems with TotJO

Gwinn wrote: Actually, plagiarism has happened several times in IP journals, and it's pretty easy to see. IP Team members are trained to look for it.

Well that's sad that it happens, and good that you've caught it.
Keep up the good work

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #289928 by
Edit before post: A much better version is attached below. I would advise using it.
-

Attachment ResponsePageforProblemswithTotJO3.pdf not found

Even more responses for the second than the first. Not surprised in the slightest but still very humbled and proud to see that I was able to create a conversation that now has almost two-thousand views and over a hundred responses. KEEP IT GOING!

So let’s get back into it, as usual, I will be addressing as many of you as I can and for the first time I’m going to limit it to those responses which I deem necessary for response. So, if I don’t address your response and you would like to know why just message me. I apologize for this but some of these responses are… not worth it. The other reason is that by giving lengthy responses I’m giving cause for more lengthy responses. I think I speak for everyone when I say it would be nice to cut down on that where we can. So, I will.

And here... we... go!

Kit:
- You are hands-down one of my favorite people to engage on the forums. Thank you for responding.
- I did not say nor do I think that there should be a time limit/requirement for training. I am saying that more in-depth training should be required. I made a point about how this website allows people to do one lesson this month, the next in the next decade, and then the next in the next millennia (if that were possible) and somehow that’s understandable because “we are busy”. My point is that you should be busy with becoming a Jedi and not treat it like a hobby as many do.
- “Will you pay me to train at your Temple? If no, then you can't compare them.”
- I can compare them. One is giving you a noticeable, worthwhile gain and the other (relatively) is not. That is my point. If I had it my way that wouldn’t be true.

JamesSand:
- So, I was going to really get into this one but it’s just so long, repetitive, and most of it is just an attempt at passive-aggressive stabs (and maybe humor?).
- I decided to give it this response because it must have taken you quite a while and I want to say thank you for taking the time out of your drinking schedule. Though next time I would just keep drinking B) :laugh: :cheer: ;) :P :lol: :silly: . (Too many emoji’s? Tell that to James.)

Luthien:
- You should have read JamesSand’s post first. He explained to me what that means. No reason for (you guessed it) REPETITION.
- *kicks dead horse* (did I use it right?)
- “I may be alone in saying that you gotta put in the work to have a say about the way things are run.”
- You are not alone in saying that. So, again, MORE REPETITION.
- You also must not have read my posts so now we are back with EVEN MORE REPETITION. I am not going to “put in the work” when I don’t see a good reason or reward.
- The more I deal with this the more I’m convinced things have all but been driven straight into the ground. This website has cultivated a culture of mediocrity at a level that I don’t think is salvageable. So, working towards joining the few that decide how much worse things can get really isn’t attractive to me. My voice and opinions would just be drug through the dirt as they have been here.

Senan:
- Well I have clearly bothered you and I’m sorry for that but I do not regret anything I said. I think it would be best for everyone to respond when they are sure they are not emotionally compromised.
- “Ego”: REPETITION. This isn’t about me. I’m hoping this will encourage others to think more critically and seek improvement at every corner. I think if we cultivate a culture like that Jediism would be a wildly different and much better thing. Don’t you?
- My opinions are very supported but obviously not solicited as they are grossly critical of this website and many of its’ members.
- How the Pope is doing Catholicism is of much debate. Though, I don’t think I should tell him what I think. Especially since I think he’s the king of one of the greatest fabrications in history.

Avalonslight:
- First of all, thank you for the involved and thought-out response. I was, however, disappointed to see that you responded while in a clearly emotionally compromised state. I made statements about that above and more at the end of this post. I think it helps everyone when you first take a breath and then respond. (Let me guess your response: get over it.)
- I’m going to be hyper-selective here and only respond to a few points:
- “The IP and the programs here are purely required for on site advancement.”
- Which is why I won’t be doing them. If I do, it will be because I’ve got nothing better to do. The list of those things is quite long, however.
- “We don't say that a person is a Jedi based upon their rank.”
- Wouldn’t it be nice if we did? What if when you did the work you got the title of Jedi and it meant something? Wow… it’s almost like that’s the way the world works. The way it should anyways.
- Broadly addressing the second response paragraph (from which the prior two quotes are from):
- You have to create a desire for people to join and obtain rank. You do that by making the ranks worth it. It’s actually just that simple. So, think about those two simple statements for a second and then think about if ToTJO does that. My answer is no.
- If you leave, you leave your title and all that goes with it. That’s the way it works. Again, the way it should work.
- You, as well as many others, have mistakenly decided that I was saying we should be more “evangelical” (I would advise looking up that word. You misused it several times.). I am not saying that we should be more like Christianity or for that matter any other religions. Why? Go do some research on them. Why would I want us to be like them? Half of them are either sexist or racist and the other half calls for violence for ridiculous reasons (usually based on sex or race). So please, drop that.
- More “give this a shot or go away” rhetoric. I’m not going to do either. Get over it (don’t you love it when people say that? Me neither). Why won’t I give it a shot? (repetition warning!) It isn’t worth it. I would just become another preacher for “self-improvement” through stagnation while telling anyone that had a problem with that that they, instead, have a problem. Sorry, I dream bigger. Actually, no I’m not.

Manu:
- “How do you know when you have arrived?” (at a “true Jedi Order”)
- It will be obvious. Just like it is obvious that we aren’t there right now. However, the problem is that it isn’t obvious to most. I’m trying to make it obvious but as the saying goes, “if you’re covering your eyes no one can show you the light”.

Avalonslight(2):
- I am painfully aware of everything you state here.

Dano Ori:
- New favorite response.
- To address the first half:
- I am not sure drawing comparisons between martial arts and ToTJO is fair. Martial Arts has a much better foundation and its reward for work is far greater too. Because of this, martial arts has a far greater number of members. Coincidence? Absolutely not. I really want to dive into an analysis of how ToTJO could gain by studying what has brought martial arts success but I said I am going to keep this more concise so I am.
- To address the larger paragraph after the pictures (by the way I see a duck and a young lady):
- I am not saying for me to be right you all have to concede and be wrong. It isn’t that black or white. If you guys like this then, by all means, may it last into eternity. I don’t think it will but I would not attempt to hinder it. I am only saying that I think there is a better way to do this.

Amyntas:
- First of all, that ToTJO Times thing is pretty cool. Good job to everyone that contributed to that.
- However, I think most of the points within are either broadly or specifically stated within this thread and others that I did consider when I first posted this thread. So, in order to keep things concise, I’m not going to go into the points raised within. Just know I understand what is being presented there and I get the idea but I simply think more can and should be done. Not to be disrespectful but the newsletter was more of a submission board and that filters directly into what I mean when I speak of Keyboard Jedi.

Brick:
- This is to address the incredibly repetitive statements regarding the Ranking system here on ToTJO.
- Many of you (at the most basic, fundamental level) do not understand what a ranking system is. The worst part is that it isn’t your fault because this website encourages an incorrect view of it.
- Why is the Pope awarded that title? Why is a Captain in the military more respected than a Private? THEY EARNED THAT TITLE THROUGH PROOF OF ABILITY, KNOWLEDGE, AND PERFORMANCE. Someone who does those things deserves a higher rank and the respect and power that comes with it. Again, because they have shown they deserve it. This talk of “ranks aren’t indicative of Jedi-ness” is baffling. I think Brick easily sums up the consensual view with his statement…
- “Though I would still argue that a guest in the Catholic Church could easily embody the ethos and values of Catholicism just as well as the Pope does, and the same goes for the ethos and values of Jediism.”
- Could but currently does not. There were some statements made similar to this. One was something like: “A guest is seen as a Christian just as the Pope is”. This falls under the misunderstanding of the phrase “all are equal in the eyes of God”. They are not. If they were, no one would go to hell. Is the Pope more a Catholic Christian than a guest? Absolutely. However, remember all of that is bogus anyways so I wouldn’t look at it for comparison or information beyond those principles that are not at all related to scripture (which are very few).
- Disclaimer: before someone denounces me for having a low rank after having said all of that let me repeat one of my main points: The system by which rank is achieved on this website is extremely fallible. Which inherently removes any deserved power or respect achieved by those that followed it. Which is why I am getting such a substantial resistance. “A wo/man can be indifferent to losing anything but his/her power and respect”.

TZB:
- Exactly, your statements have a broader consensus because they are supported by those that I am calling into question which happens to be the most high ranking on this site. That’s what I was highlighting. It was to let people know that there is a small chance my words will actually change anything here. Regardless, my point was always to highlight these issues to those that can do the most about them. Which I happen to believe is everyone but those of higher rank. Why? It’s simple. Those of higher rank have fallen into the system of how things are done here. It is my hope that those that haven’t will see this in time to realize that some things should be changed and if they can not be they should pursue a better alternative rather than conform to a fallible system.

Aqua:
- Thank you for the kind words. It isn’t something I see much of.
- I am confused about your quote at the end and the edit’s you made. What was that supposed to show/mean? You can PM me the answer if you would like.

Leah Starspectre:
- Thank you for responding anyhow. Sure I said I was checking out but that doesn’t mean I didn’t want everyone’s response at their earliest convenience. Here I am responding at my earliest convenience. Kind of the point of a forum and surely where a lot of the allure of this website originates.
- “("Won't stop me if I am able to gain the means. However, in that case, it will be my Temple. I don't think many of you would be pleased with that based on your current view of me. However, you'd probably be brought to change your mind." - This sounds an awful lot like a hostile takeover. What, exactly, is your vision for TotJO? And if your vision differs THAT much from our doctrine, why not found your own faith based on your vision? Why are you so bent on having "your way"?)
- (each bullet responds to a question/statement)
- No, the whole point was that if I have to make the Temple myself it won’t be related to this Order. Which is fair. Especially since there is an opposition to the idea here (yes there is, don’t call this into question, go do some research on it within this site). So, I wouldn’t be taking over anything. Not interested in being the captain of a sinking ship anyhow.
- I don’t have a vision for ToTJO, as I’ve now decided and said multiple times, it is unsalvageable at this point. My vision is a legitimate, real-world Jedi Order. One that is respected and seen as a direct, obvious, and major benefit to society in the ways that some other religions/spiritualities are.
- Probably will have to do that.
- I am not bent on having it my way, I am bent on having it the right way.

ZealotX:
- More talk of selfishness. People, please read other’s posts first. I addressed this in my last post and you all still aren’t understanding.
- If I have to do it myself for it to be done the right way I will. I do not think that is necessary. I think there are plenty of people that have enough insight to know the right way to do a Jedi Order. If they do it without me I would give them all the credit and more. I truly hope someone does it and I have nothing to do with it. That would confirm everything I’ve been saying and prove that I’m not alone.
- I am not pushing my wants onto other people. Just sharing my views on a better alternative and what could be done to start fixing things that have been done poorly (again, my view). If you disagree with my views great, keep on keepin’ on. It’s when people disagree with the facts and clearly definable observations I have made that I have a problem.

Rugadd:
- I think this conversation has a very important and obviously impactful point.
- Your main point: I should conform and then try to use my rank to make a change. Repetition. Read what I have stated above.

I have decided to address Journal Security since FTPC brought it up. I will clearly indicate when I am done discussing it. So, if it does not interest you, scroll down until you see the indicator.

FTPC: “I have been here for two years, My problem with Tojo is Journal Security,
they need to better Journal Security around here. keyword NEED”
- First of all, I would avoid using words like “NEED”. If you haven’t noticed from this thread, if you even appear to be making demands it isn’t well received.
- In general, the Order’s approach to Journal Security is well meaning. Though, if you have not learned yet, the internet (and therefore this site) isn’t a huge advocate of privacy.
- However, I do think a feature that allows the creator of a thread to restrict who can view, edit, or comment on it would be much appreciated and quite useful. (Do not tell me “that’s what a PM is for”. The PM features are even more lackluster than the forum’s.)
- The other issue is likely a technical one. There is a good chance this website does not allow for that kind of feature. I am extremely skeptical of this for the simple reason that they can lock threads by rank. The adaptation to limiting a thread to specific people or groups couldn’t be too difficult.
- For the primary website of an online order, it is confusing to see the state this site is in. You would think that since this website is so highly revered as the best thing about this Order that it would be much better. This is not to say it isn’t good. It is very good, yet it could and should be better.
- Edit after reading responses to this post: According to many, FTPC has taken his complaints too far in many ways. By addressing this, I meant to address the issue he raised not the way in which he raised it (which was obviously by annoyance and harassment).

Amyntas: “And if you ever mention it again i cant take you serious anymore. All the time you spend complaining to me and the rest of the Jedi community you could have spend on studying and meditating.”
- Wow. I won’t claim to understand the full scope of this conflict but this… these statements surprised me.
- Here’s a thought, maybe his complaints are well founded one’s that you all clearly repeatedly hear about yet also clearly do not resolve successfully.
- This is also extremely demeaning diction and to see it coming from someone ranked as a Knight is disappointing. (This Knight also goes on to say some other extremely directed things to other commenters before being told to settle down. A Knight that has to be told to settle down isn’t very… well, knightly.)

TZB:
- Community, community, community… Unless that community is telling us that something is wrong here, in which case we dismiss it and say we have a reason we aren’t listening to the community anymore.

Zenchi:
- If what you say is true then he has taken it too far. Another thing I think this community would benefit from is some kind of policing (the irony of what I’m asking for and also committing what would likely fall under an actionable offense is not lost on me). If someone ever takes issues from this website and harasses other members in other mediums then I think they have done more than enough to have their membership revoked. In my eyes that would only improve the community. (I’m sure many of you think that revoking my membership would also improve the community. I would say that criticizing something in the pursuit of improvement isn’t a bad thing and therefore not justification to do such a thing.)

The issue regarding the IP could easily be fixed by restricting IP forum posts to be viewed, edited, and/or commented on by only senior members (i.e. Knights and above). The only reason I can think to allow others to view them is to give an example of how an IP is/will be done (which could be replaced with an “Example IP”). Beyond that, it only leaves room for a high chance of plagiarism. I have seen many posts regarding plagiarism and how the Knights have to be trained to catch it. I think this simply proves that the costs outweigh the benefits in allowing the IP journals to be completely public.

END OF JOURNAL SECURITY RESPONSE

It turns out this was the topic of focus until the end of the thread. So we are done here.

I would again like to thank everyone for responding and for all but a couple being respectful about the fact that I wouldn’t be able to respond for a bit. I did say I would eventually and so I did. Apologies, but that will likely happen again this time. I think I have explained my reasoning for why plenty of times.

In conclusion, I would like to address some very broad issues that will have an effect on most if not all reading this:
1. Read First, Post Later: There is a high chance what you are going to say has been said before and no one wants to read the same thing several times.
2. Grammar and Spelling: This is a website so your appearance is directly correlated to what you type/submit. Bad grammar and spelling make it very hard to take you seriously. I am not some genius who doesn’t make mistakes. I use a wonderful program on Chrome called “Grammarly”.
a. Here are some links:
I. Grammarly Website: Grammarly
II. Grammarly for Chrome: Grammarly for Chrome
3. Diction: I have seen some truly horrendous diction used. I made a statement about it in my last post while responding to someone but I will explain it again. Big, colorful words are great in small doses but if they are misused they have a direct, negative effect on your post. Grammarly will sometimes catch incorrect diction but to be safe unless you are absolutely confident in the use of a word simply highlight it, alt. click it, and get its definition. If it doesn’t apply or work with what you are trying to say do not use it.
4. Cooler Heads Prevail: Be mindful of the way you feel while you are responding. If you have detected the slightest clue that you are emotionally distressed in any way, take a break and come back later. For example, this response was typed over a few days in the free time I had. After coming back I often noticed places where I had said something rude or uncalled for and removed/fixed them (you are all welcome). Posting an emotionally plagued response will usually get you ignored. In the event that it doesn’t, it will usually be responded to in kind so it simply isn’t worth it. (Disclaimer: We are all human so mistakes will be made and I get that. I was very careful with this post to avoid upsetting anyone. If something I said did upset you let me know in a PM and I will explain myself and probably apologize.)

Again, thank you all for the responses and varied views. Many of my questions and issues were resolved. As always, if you have anything to say about this post please do. I really enjoy engaging with you all. I look forward to coming back and seeing what is said.

Edit before post: For the correctly formatted (and much better looking) version open the PDF below.
-

Attachment ResponsePageforProblemswithTotJO3.pdf not found

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by . Reason: Diction/Formatting Corrections

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #289930 by

Amyntas: “And if you ever mention it again i cant take you serious anymore. All the time you spend complaining to me and the rest of the Jedi community you could have spend on studying and meditating.”
- Wow. I won’t claim to understand the full scope of this conflict but this… these statements surprised me.
- Here’s a thought, maybe his complaints are well founded one’s that you all clearly repeatedly hear about yet also clearly do not resolve successfully.
- This is also extremely demeaning diction and to see it coming from someone ranked as a Knight is disappointing. (This Knight also goes on to say some other extremely directed things to other commenters before being told to settle down. A Knight that has to be told to settle down isn’t very… well, knightly.)

Yes you are right , that was not very Knightly of me , it was inconsiderate and i did not appreciate your effort and i apologize for that , thank you for doing all that work and pointing out to us what you feel could be improved.

More
6 years 9 months ago #289932 by JamesSand
Sweet Jupiter's Rings!

Thank the effervescence of schweppes I've got dual screens!

Okay, piecemeal as and as I feel..

- Many of you (at the most basic, fundamental level) do not understand what a ranking system is. The worst part is that it isn’t your fault because this website encourages an incorrect view of it.

Hah. Have a look at how many members here are in the Police or Military of their countries. I suspect there is a wealth of understanding of what a ranking system is - and a wealth of understanding of how they often don't work ;)

- So, I was going to really get into this one but it’s just so long, repetitive, and most of it is just an attempt at passive-aggressive stabs (and maybe humor?).

I can't for the life of me remember what I wrote (I'll go back and look in a sec) - I hope it was aggressive-aggressive not passive-aggressive, and springfield is a part of us all.

*skips through some more quotes* I don't want to be superfluous, redundant or reiterative, but it seems your accusation of repetition is perennially recurrent. (could be some spelling errors there, I don't dust off those words outside of a crossword)

This website has cultivated a culture of mediocrity at a level that I don’t think is salvageable. So, working towards joining the few that decide how much worse things can get really isn’t attractive to me. My voice and opinions would just be drug through the dirt as they have been here.

Careful forming an elitist crew. Mayhap you're not the biggest fish and find out no one in the club votes for you to be head honcho ;)

- Wouldn’t it be nice if we did? What if when you did the work you got the title of Jedi and it meant something? Wow… it’s almost like that’s the way the world works. The way it should anyways.

To save you from a career....in anything - Getting a title basically means you fulfilled the prerequisites in whatever insular game you are playing - You play at TotJO, you do the IP.
You play at McDonalds, you do their "Customer Service" course and earn gold stars for your badge (and maybe pay rise? I'm not entirely sure)
It's almost like that's the way the world works.

- You have to create a desire for people to join and obtain rank. You do that by making the ranks worth it. It’s actually just that simple. So, think about those two simple statements for a second and then think about if ToTJO does that. My answer is no.

We're not selling anything, we don't have to "create" a desire. ToTJO has lessons, and a community, people are free to join, or not. Personal motivation is one of the big things that separates Jediism from some of the other "Faiths" - There is no one telling you this is the right path. The path is there, walk it as you will.

- If you leave, you leave your title and all that goes with it. That’s the way it works. Again, the way it should work.

Should it?

Good thing I didn't go to Uni then, I'd have hated to pay all that money for an education to throw it in the bin the day I graduated.
Or not receive a pension for my years of work and paying taxes on the day I stop working.

Wow, you're right, I am being passive aggressive.

Huh. I can be less passive if my message is being lost in my sarcasm.

Sorry, I dream bigger.

I live bigger. Dream away. I can't prove your reality is any less real than mine, so dream away :)

- I am not saying for me to be right you all have to concede and be wrong. It isn’t that black or white. If you guys like this then, by all means, may it last into eternity. I don’t think it will but I would not attempt to hinder it. I am only saying that I think there is a better way to do this.

Send me the link, and I'll be there.

Or tell me the Address, if it is anywhere in Australia, I'll swing by :)

Okay, well I've finished my coffee, so I'll have to come back and wade through the rest of this later.

Keep on truckin?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
6 years 9 months ago #289933 by JamesSand
Double post, for reasons...

Yes you are right , that was not very Knightly of me , it was inconsiderate and i did not appreciate your effort and i apologize for that , thank you for doing all that work and pointing out to us what you feel could be improved.

This is (or could be)...one of those double test/standard things.

You (A generic "you", not necessarily my beloved Amyntas) arc up, and get called out for it. Too much aggression or lack of self control or some other thing - I foresee a future where an apology or change of stance is then accused of being weak leadership or lack of conviction, and hence why TotJO isn't "up to snuff"

(When I'm not pottering around here, I sometimes "train" people. I'm perfectly capable of coming up with tests that can't be passed. JUST TO FRUSTRATE THE HELL OUT OF STUDENTS. )

To clarify - I'm quoting Amyntas for ease of use as an example in why free-for-all criticism of a system (or individual) without a specific goal of where you want the system or individual to go (brainwashing?) can be....not effective - not because my hypothetical situation reflects my views on Amyntas......
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 9 months ago #289935 by JamesSand
Third post in a row - because it turns out the internet is not a series of tubes, and it can't really get clogged.

In conclusion, I would like to address some very broad issues that will have an effect on most if not all reading this:
1. Read First, Post Later: There is a high chance what you are going to say has been said before and no one wants to read the same thing several times.

Eh....No. For reasons that have already been said somewhere, so I won't repeat them ;)

2. Grammar and Spelling: This is a website so your appearance is directly correlated to what you type/submit. Bad grammar and spelling make it very hard to take you seriously. I am not some genius who doesn’t make mistakes. I use a wonderful program on Chrome called “Grammarly”.
a. Here are some links:
I. Grammarly Website: Grammarly
II. Grammarly for Chrome: Grammarly for Chrome

I agree in theory that some care should be taken to ensure you are understood - but we are international, intercultural, and intergenerational - so have some tolerance for the many variations of language that is going to allow, and improve your ability to "understand people" rather than get everyone marching to a bland (and arbitrary) beat :)

3. Diction: I have seen some truly horrendous diction used. I made a statement about it in my last post while responding to someone but I will explain it again. Big, colorful words are great in small doses but if they are misused they have a direct, negative effect on your post. Grammarly will sometimes catch incorrect diction but to be safe unless you are absolutely confident in the use of a word simply highlight it, alt. click it, and get its definition. If it doesn’t apply or work with what you are trying to say do not use it.

Potato Forensics Electrical Awaiting Birthday.

4. Cooler Heads Prevail: Be mindful of the way you feel while you are responding. If you have detected the slightest clue that you are emotionally distressed in any way, take a break and come back later. For example, this response was typed over a few days in the free time I had. After coming back I often noticed places where I had said something rude or uncalled for and removed/fixed them (you are all welcome). Posting an emotionally plagued response will usually get you ignored. In the event that it doesn’t, it will usually be responded to in kind so it simply isn’t worth it. (Disclaimer: We are all human so mistakes will be made and I get that. I was very careful with this post to avoid upsetting anyone. If something I said did upset you let me know in a PM and I will explain myself and probably apologize.)

Dear god, you make such a good point, but I read that as you being an arrogant condescending know it all - which creates such an interesting emotional response in me....that gets you ignored?

How Odd?

I mean, I'm sure you meant it with the best intentions, and I can use my experience as a human to interpret that, but somehow, in your desire you get your message across, you've shot yourself in the foot.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...I just can't put my finger on it.

(Wow, I really AM passive aggressive. I should work on that)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #289936 by
Respectfully, I would like to offer a few points one more time.

1. I am a Security Officer, along with other officers of TOTJO in this thread. We do not need to be instructed or lectured about policy and procedure that has been discussed, considered, voted on, enacted, and constantly reviewed. Criticism is only constructive when it is offered with good intentions, not dictated by someone unfamiliar with the actual workings of this website. I have much to learn still about the "behind the scenes" as well, so I try not to be too critical until I know what it is people actually pour their hearts into here. When people ask you to participate and train first before offering your "fixes", it is because these conversations have been had before and are ongoing. Be the solution, not the guy telling others to fix it for your perceived benefit.

2. Repetitions happen because people here believe you are failing to consider points being made repeatedly. This website is an imperfect experiment that requires tweaking constantly, and you are not the first to make suggestions. Ironically, many of your points have been raised before here, thus making many of your arguments also repetitive to those who have been here longer.They also happen because everyone here is entitled to join any conversation and share their thoughts and opinions, whether they are original or not. We do not edit or censor people here unless they are breaking the rules of this forum. We also do not require anyone to meet subjective standards of grammar and/or diction. Effective communication comes in many forms, and part of the experience here is learning to adapt to various means and methods.

3. Accusing people of being "emotionally compromised" is both out of your scope and inappropriate. We do not discuss people here, we discuss issues. Please respect this rule in future conversations.

4. "I shall never seek so much to be understood as to understand." This is a part of our Creed and also fundamental to being a TOTJO Jedi. Perhaps your criticisms and suggestions would be better received if you asked more questions rather than providing answers you perceive to be the correct ones. We all learn more that way.

It is not my intention to argue or belittle your opinions. We all appreciate the time and thought you have put into this. It has been enlightening in many ways. I am simply seeking some reciprocation from your side as we all consider how to improve our spiritual home.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi