The Problems with TotJO

More
6 years 11 months ago #284932 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic The Problems with TotJO

Edan wrote: I would suggest that any conversation regarding an individual should probably kept to PM..

I normally would agree with you there Edan, in this case I have to disagree. He's taken this to my twitter and my art page on Facebook, two places it does not belong. If he has definitive proof somone has plagiarized his work, he should to provide it and cease with the drama...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #284933 by
Replied by on topic The Problems with TotJO

Edan wrote: I would suggest that any conversation regarding an individual should probably kept to PM..

Thank you for your suggestion , but NO , he took this in the public domain , he now has to face the consequences that go with that , we all learn from eachother here , we also have to learn to bare the responsibilties of what we post here,

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #284934 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic The Problems with TotJO

MartaLina wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion , but NO , he took this in the public domain , he now has to face the consequences that go with that , we all learn from eachother here , we also have to learn to bare the responsibilties of what we post here,

Easy killer, think the point was made. No sense in stamping the argument into the ground...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran, , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #284935 by
Replied by on topic The Problems with TotJO

Zenchi wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Easy killer, think the point was made. No sense in stamping the argument into the ground...

Yeah you are right , Sorry Edan , you made a good point ...

More
6 years 11 months ago #284937 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic The Problems with TotJO
This seems to be a real concern of yours. I would like to let you know that the only place to really protect your intellectual property is offline. However, it can't be shared and appreciated that way. Yes, there is a risk involved in sharing work online, but there is also the simple fact that this is how we opperate. There is no true security on the internet.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #284953 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The Problems with TotJO
how would the council feel about allowing dude to write his journal and IP through emails to a potential teaching mentor?

im sure theres a knight somewhere who would be ok with taking an apprentice via email and chat?

uh, sorry if im overstepping

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 11 months ago #284954 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic The Problems with TotJO
So what happens when other knights need to check it?

The teaching/sharing method doesnt change from IP to apprenticeship and beyond. The space for it does though

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #284956 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The Problems with TotJO
@Roz, ok yeah, that makes sense

@FTPC: there is a date and time indicator for every post and i guess you could email your entries to yourself or take pictures of them and save them on your computer or to a flash drive or something.
im pretty sure that would be adequate legal protection for you if anyone ever did plagiarize your work.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 11 months ago #284957 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic The Problems with TotJO

FTPC wrote: I have been here for two years, My problem with Tojo is Journal Security,
they need to better Journal Security around here. keyword NEED

What kind of security are you suggesting?
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC

More
6 years 11 months ago #284969 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic The Problems with TotJO
If people are really worried about their intellectual property, it's pretty easy to prove it so here's my 2ยข for if someone wants to go a full nine on academic property:
  1. the author needs to properly cite their own sources so that readers citing it won't unintentionally plagiarize
  2. make an offline copy of your work with a timestamp and then lock editing on it. Any later additions can be made into a separate document with a later timestamp.
  3. although I haven't seen (there might be one that I just didn't notice) an explicit rule against using someone else's work here, I've always assumed it to be one. Maybe we add it into the site's T&C
  4. upon "ranking up" an author will have their relevant work checked for plagiarism against both other people's work here and just in general (there's quite a few tools for checking originality online). Maybe have knights delegate that duty to their apprentices since there'll be quite a bit of it
In general though, there's very little motivation to plagiarize material, so it seems like a non-issue.
In general, it's rather immature to just complain about something if you don't have proof its an issue or a solution to it.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi