Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

More
10 years 1 month ago #141469 by steamboat28

Brenna wrote: And a hot tub.

Seconded.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141480 by Wescli Wardest
There’s been a lot of discussion in this thread and a lot of talk.

Honestly, I donate every year and am glad to. And if need be I will donate more. Do we need a physical temple? No. But I plan on building one in a few years anyways. :P And I have been planning on building one for over a year now.

I don’t think TotJO is in any danger of being at the point where it is time to build a temple on her own. So to me, the entire debate about it is a moot one. Just my opinion.

PS. And what’s wrong with Twinkie? :huh:

hahahhahahhaha :laugh: :P :silly: :woohoo:

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
10 years 1 month ago #141498 by Whyte Horse
OK, I "third" the hot tub idea and have one that's fully functioning to donate. The cover needs a repair but that's it. 100% brand new $5k hot tub. Above ground so, easy to move. anyway...

I really want to look into the trademark infringement that was mentioned. I strongly believe that TOTJO has sufficiently divested itself from Lucas Arts and I believe that anyone claiming TOTJO is infringing Lucas is violating my right to express my religion. I'd need to see the actual graphics and compare them to Lucas but from what I've seen the TOTJO stuff is all original and they tell you right on the front page they are not the fictional Jedis(aka Lucas). FYI Disney bought Lucas so get ready to fight the Empire.

Another thing is that churches don't pay tax in the US. So any property tax would be non-existent if the property is registered to TOTJO. Big deal, seriously. It saves money.

One more thing: I farted. No just kidding. The one more thing is about the temple:

Yeah so Connor has reservations. Well maybe he doesn't understand.

Yeah the council is too busy to start a temple: that's why I said to start a fund and then vote and then we can do what's needed. They don't need the BS. We can do it. No problem.

People think we don't need a temple: well yeah all we need is food, water, and sleep. We can break it down to necessities and eventually you end up like the monks where it's cheaper to provide food, etc througha monastery, blah blah blah.

So how do we raise funds. Well ya know I really didn't want to say this because it sounds so cliche but in Buddhism they go around with bowls and collect money from the people on the street. This works pretty well for me because I don't use money and y'all need money so I could just go get it and send it in. I could send you something far more valuable but you'd just throw it away because it's not pretty paper money, haha.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141499 by Whyte Horse

Wescli Wardest wrote: There’s been a lot of discussion in this thread and a lot of talk.

Honestly, I donate every year and am glad to. And if need be I will donate more. Do we need a physical temple? No. But I plan on building one in a few years anyways. :P And I have been planning on building one for over a year now.

I don’t think TotJO is in any danger of being at the point where it is time to build a temple on her own. So to me, the entire debate about it is a moot one. Just my opinion.

PS. And what’s wrong with Twinkie? :huh:

hahahhahahhaha :laugh: :P :silly: :woohoo:

Well Wescli, thank you for supporting the temple and being so generous. If you plan on building a temple then why not team up with losers like me to make it an awesome loserville? No just kidding I'm a winner not a loser. Or maybe I'm a loser and not a winner, I forgot. But anyway the most important thing is we can work together and lose or win side-by-side and that's what's important.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141500 by Whyte Horse

Brenna wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: 4. Vote

Council's agreement:
Br. John: Said he wants a temple
Jestor: said he wants a temple
Akkarin: said he wants a temple
Brenna: said she wants a pony

Oh wait, maybe I got one of those wrong

Looks correct to me. But im not on council, or you can be damn sure there would be ponies by now!

OK Brenna, now that I got your attention, let's talk about corruption in charities. What do YOU think about TOTJO taking money from the poor/rich to use for a temple? Assuming the hot-tub is free so it's just a temple perk, what would give a TOTJO temple the following qualities:
1. Tranparency
2. Meaningful purpose worthy of the donations of the poor
3. Meaningful purpose worthy of Jediism
4. Meaningful purpose worthy of society in general

Sorry to be so lengthy but I value your experience working with non-profits and I believe your answers would be useful in founding a temple of Jedis.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #141504 by Brenna

Whyte Horse wrote: OK Brenna, now that I got your attention, let's talk about corruption in charities. What do YOU think about TOTJO taking money from the poor/rich to use for a temple? Assuming the hot-tub is free so it's just a temple perk, what would give a TOTJO temple the following qualities:
1. Tranparency

Sorry to be so lengthy but I value your experience working with non-profits and I believe your answers would be useful in founding a temple of Jedis.

Oh man, I walked straight into this one didnt I?

Firstly, one of the reasons I would not at this stage support the building of an official Temple, or for that matter advocate that we have an agressive fundraising strategy for the current funding needs, is because I dont believe that we are in a place where it is necessary. I dont know that we are ready for it.

Legally speaking, there is no reason why not.

Ethically speaking, there is no reason why not.

When you say "totjo taking money from the rich/poor" you make it sound as though the people donating would be forced. The truth is, any donation made is done so voluntarily. If people want to contribute to the building of a temple, then that is their prerogative. Provided that there is accountability for the spending of the money, and the purpose for which it is raised made clear at the time the donations are solicited.

I am not TOTJO. I cannot answer your points. For the moment, our TOTJO community is online and our "work" done individually in each of our lives. When there are more of us, and the need for a Temple becomes apparent, ask me again.

Tell me Whyte Horse, how would YOU answer those questions. How would you define "meaningful purpose"? (besides a hot tub and a place to store the weed)

PS, Dear Council. A bigger Donate Now button cant hurt ;)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141505 by
How interesting. So I have a question if you are going to actively ask for donations. I won't even touch on how horrid a business model that is.

Why Should I? Why should my money go to the Temple of the Jedi Order specifically?

I am infinitely curious your sales pinch on donations. Especially with a bowl to the public. I am a Jedi seeking spiritual exploration - please help?

Here lets make it a bit easier. A little context. I dropped a 1000.00 USD to attend the Jedi Gathering last year. I will probably get up around there again this year. Why should that money go to the Temple of the Jedi Order instead? I mean I can make a good case on why it should go KUSC (nevermind something like the Red Cross) instead, but why should it go to the Temple of the Jedi Order?

1. Tranparency

No it doesn't. Not guaranteed at all. And we'll ignore the political instability of said organization.

This would go to my Why question. Meaningful Purpose - How? How is it meaningful? For you to have a summer retreat? For you to have a place to escape too? For you to magically find spiritual well-being that was somehow not obtainable anywhere else?

Why Should I will be the number question for all donations. If you can quantify "Meaningful Purpose" you might have something. But lets look at what you cannot say. You cannot say donation will go to other Charities. That is silly. You will have to sell Jedi as worth giving money too. So what is this worth? What is a person investing in when they donate to the Temple of the Jedi Order? Why Temple of the Jedi Order and not Temple of the Jedi Force? Why should my money come here? What makes this place worthy of donations?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141507 by Brenna

Opie Macleod wrote: Why Should I will be the number question for all donations. If you can quantify "Meaningful Purpose" you might have something. But lets look at what you cannot say. You cannot say donation will go to other Charities. That is silly. You will have to sell Jedi as worth giving money too. So what is this worth? What is a person investing in when they donate to the Temple of the Jedi Order? Why Temple of the Jedi Order and not Temple of the Jedi Force? Why should my money come here? What makes this place worthy of donations?

Currently its very simple. This website costs money to run. If you want to help it run, then do so. If you dont, then the members of council will dig into their own pockets, as they have done before, and fork out so that you and every other person who has the privilege of using this website for whatever they feel they want to get out of it, can continue to do so.

Worthy, is a question answered by each user.

Comparing a donation to the TOTJO to a live gathering that requires all the necessities of an event, things like accommodation etc, makes little sense and seems irrelevant.

We have no physical temple, nor a plan for one, nor a need for one. And to my knowledge, the totjo has never actively asked for donations. In fact, in the last site redesign, the damn button got made about half its original size.

So this question is speculation and rhetorical. And after an answer that is not about money at all.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141508 by
Show me a religion or religious organisation which doesn't cover costs through donations. I go to the local Buddhist temple, I make a small donation to show my appreciation for their hospitality in letting me join their session. It's not required and though it's never explicitly asked for, it's a recognised form of gratitude or appreciation. Their lifestyle isn't free... a monk's gotta eat.

Web hosting isn't free, either. As an active member here, and because it's within my means to do so, I contribute a little each month. Why should a place that brings so many of us pleasure and inspiration be paid for by one or two senior members?

I'm not sure how this is a horrible business model... donations are solicited by the presence of the Donate Now button. I doubt any extension of that would amount to much more than some essentially ignorable forum posts. It's not like we're talking about moving to a subscription model.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 month ago #141513 by Jestor
Much more important than a temple, lol...

We need funds, lol, to just run the temple self sufficiently...

Excellent questions Opie, and perhaps what Connor was trying to get across to me...:unsure:...

You don't borrow money to pay your internet bill at home each month, and then go try to buy a home...

First, you get to where you can pay for your bills, then look at buying... (right about taxes, sorry, wasn't thinking, lol)

We need a group working on that...

As an excatholic, I was tired of having requests for money constantly, and have fought against active solicitation of members...

I'm not an expert, and, will bow to them on these matters...

But, until people step up, and take that helm, we will do our best...

Kind of a catch-22...

We need donations, I say this constant, yet I'm against active solicitation ...

Lol, quite the quandary...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi