Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142483 by
Awesome Adder, :-) . J3di would definitely draw in the MMORPG crowds.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142484 by RyuJin
I come for the lego temple..when do we get them phortis?......certified lego junkie here...need mah fix....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142485 by Adder

Storge wrote: As to the copyright name, .... or use the Japanese form Temple of the Jidai Order?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jidaigeki

Best I can see Jidai means 'era' or 'a time; a period;'. It is close enough visually, and could be pronounced the same. Just the translation is a bit confusing for me 'Temple of the Time Order'.. but its definitely interesting. There is no rule not use a label which transcends literal meaning to instead look and sound like something which does not exist.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142505 by
Yeah, it does not translate very well. Based on wikipedia : In an interview, Lucas has specifically cited the fact that he became acquainted with the term jidaigeki while in Japan, and it is widely assumed that he took inspiration for the term Jedi from this.

But I'd be cool with temple of the time order. It sounds like Dr.Who's time lords :-D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #143698 by
Having a physical temple is a great idea! It would definitely help us legitimize our faith to those around us, and many more people will seriously consider joining. Even though I haven't gone very far in my studies here I say I am a Jedi when asked about spirituality and I have gotten many laughs after a few months, so I can only imagine how the rest of you feel. I do not react, I usually just laugh along. It doesn't bother me other than there are many people I can see enjoying and benefiting from this community if it were something they would seriously consider. We could not have a complete Temple right now by any means, but purchasing land is a great start. Then we could start with a simple worship hall of sorts, to use for certain rituals. Then we could add an addition, or an outdoor shelter, for some events not so formal.

I don't think the question should be if we get this ball rolling, it is how we should go about doing it. I'm sure we all want to see it eventually, and buying land would be a great first step. And we all love nature right? Well, I'm sure some of us absolutely hate the heat, but we could totally do a lot of work ourselves! Maybe some of those around here could do the wiring, maybe someone builds buildings and could lay the foundation cheaper than a regular contract at the least, and if not hire professionals for the necessities. I don't live anywhere near there so I couldn't meet on the weekends regularly or anything but I work at a college so I have regular breaks where I'm obligation free and I could take the whole summer off if I wanted. I'd find a part time job in the area if I had to and have fun learning to build stuff or whatever I was doing. I'm sure it's possible if we all just put in some effort.

I'm almost done rambling! I know the group of people willing to participate would vary based on the job, but where there is a will there is a way! Maybe I'm too hopeful about pitching in and building something together; but at the very least we can have a place to meet for special occasions, and it will legitimize us to others. That will cause an increase in membership from there, and that will help the idea of a Temple become even more feasible. I want to dedicate at least six months of my life to being a monk in this life, and I'd love to do it at the TotJO! Come on guys!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 week ago #143707 by Jestor
Not trying to be rude(?), condesending(?), just matter of fact about this...

But, Scientology has a building, and look how 'legit' many think they are...

Catholics have buildings, shoot, their chieftain has a sovereign home, and I (as well as many others) left their teachings...

If we need a building to legitimize our beliefs, we might as well close up shop... lol...

We will always be jokes to those who dont understand... Thats ok, I like making people laugh... Thats why I choose this username long ago... That, and I am kinda goofy, :lol:....

We are legit in our hearts...;)

Just keep that in mind...;)

(everyone, Im not just addressing Degataga)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #143710 by
^Exactly. No need to make a building for that.

The reason I've thought of for creating a physical space is to offer more direct and useful interaction. What we cover in "days" here on the forum could maybe be worked out in hours in a day at a physical meeting. For teaching, we could offer healing classes with certified people. Or, psychology classes... or, even

And no, there's no reason it has to be Jedi specific. :P It just can be if we wanted it to be.

In the end, a building is a convenience. A good convenience, but not a necessary one. In fact, this website is also a convenience. A very nice one, indeed, but one nonetheless.

That we need a site, a community, for this faith to exist, is a fallacy. If we, as a group, yearn for "legitimacy", we will be chasing it helplessly for the rest of our natural lives.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #143713 by
That the word jedi is an adaptation of the name for a Japanese film genre is, I think, an important fact to note when we are asked about our being Jedi and the origins of Jediism. It locates the burden of proof away from citing Lucas' fictional films as the source. Noting that jedi is derivative of the film genre that interprets a period in Japanese history is a good starting point when explaining Jediism, but then to refer to the original inspiration, an appreciation for the historical bushido, and then to describe how TotJO is, in part, a contemporary expression of ethics of the samurai would be, I think, a clear and concise introduction.

More
10 years 1 week ago #143760 by steamboat28

Alan wrote: ...then to describe how TotJO is, in part, a contemporary expression of ethics of the samurai...

I agree with your premises but not your conclusion. Bushido deals a lot more with hierarchal relationships than TotJO cares to, and the primary form of punishment--shame--isn't applicable here.

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #143782 by Zenchi

Alan wrote: Noting that jedi is derivative of the film genre that interprets a period in Japanese history is a good starting point when explaining Jediism, but then to refer to the original inspiration, an appreciation for the historical bushido, and then to describe how TotJO is, in part, a contemporary expression of ethics of the samurai would be, I think, a clear and concise introduction.

Although I do see and partially agree with your point of view Steamboat, I believe Alan was simply including the modernization of the Bushido as quite a few Individuals are beginning to integrate the principles and philosophy of the Samurai into their daily lives. This of course has and will continue to change the dynamics as it will inevitably evolve as more people bring this philosophy into the modern age. The Temple is much more lenient (thankfully) than the Bushido's strict code and hierarchy, and I personally don't see too many of us performing "seppuku," regardless how bad life gets, lol.

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Zenchi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi