Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141269 by
I don't think there would be a trademark infringement if I have permission to use it and state that in any documents.

A subsidiary would be part of the legal holdings of TOTJO Texas, I think? What I would have is a separate church that teaches TOTJO's doctrine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141270 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Connor Lidell wrote: Why is this putting in a twist? This is exactly what SHOULD happen! :D

That's one opinion, I suppose. Another would be that if it's run just like TOTJO by TOTJO clergy it should maybe probably be a subsidiary of TOTJO, in case of any trademark/copyright/IP (no, not that kind) disputes.

:dry: I do not get a good vibe from you.

Phortis, I agree with you. But, I'm sure Brother John would be able to help you set up anything you'd like to do!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141272 by
As TOTJO is Br. John's creation, I would not think of doing anything without his authority and advice.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141274 by Whyte Horse

Adder wrote: Cambodia, heck no. I had friends recently visit relatives there and they had to pay off a customs/security agent to board their flight home, and I think you need to be an Indonesian citizen to buy land in Indonesia? PNG might be good if the locals were on side.... and it's close to a 'western' nation if evacuation or specialized medical care is required LOL I'm biased naturally since it would be close to home. What you going to do there Whyte Horse, meditate and survive, or help the locals in some way?

Well I've already done it. There's so much opportunity you can pick what you want to do. I'd probably go back into teaching. I met people who had businesses, worked on oil rigs, had factories, retirees, etc. Yeah there are probably restrictions on land ownership, I've never looked into religious organizations.

I'm pretty sure members of a church can get religious visas and establish churches. Jedis can probably study at any Buddhist temple...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Whyte Horse.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141276 by steamboat28

Connor Lidell wrote: :dry: I do not get a good vibe from you.

Phortis Nespin wrote: As TOTJO is Br. John's creation, I would not think of doing anything without his authority and advice.

Whatever kind of religious institution that TOTJO may or may not be, it is also a legally recognized corporation under the appropriate laws in the United States. That means it's not a sole proprietorship--I love Br. John as much as the next nugget, and he deserves props as the founder, but TOTJO is run by a Council that is also the Board of Directors . This means that unless everybody else on the board decides to agree with whatever comes out of his mouth, Br. John doesn't make decisions that legally impact the corporation by himself.

Furthermore, as a corporate body (both religiously and legally) TOTJO has a list of rights it has the responsibility to protect. This includes (legally) intellectual property infringement, adherence to corporate bylaws, legal responsibility, and (religiously) transmission of doctrine, teachings, and experience that is in line with TOTJO itself.

Since ordained clergy members are distinct in that their ordination is permanent without some serious paperwork and hoop-jumping, TOTJO must be that much more careful who it bestows these titles on, and has the responsibility (both legally and spiritually) to ensure that everyone maintaining that status also maintains the party line, since ultimately (again, both legally and spiritually) anything those OCPs do derives from the rights and powers granted to them by TOTJO, which in a negative situation will reflect poorly on TOTJO (best-case scenario) and might embroil TOTJO in a legal battle in regards to ethical practices or worse (worst-case scenario.)

I'm not saying Phortis is a bad dude. I'm not saying I don't trust Phortis. I'm just saying that there's a whole lot more riding on this idea than people like to think about, and it's kind of important to remember that TOTJO has responsibilities to its members, its Board, and the state and country it's incorporated in.

This forum isn't just magical Force-flavored pixie dust. It's a virtual meeting place for a LEGAL PERSONHOOD IN THE FORM OF A CORPORATE ENTITY, SUBJECT TO LAWS, RULES, REGULATIONS, AND PUNISHMENT.

So you can take your Lucasfilms-trademarked "bad feelings" about me and put them someplace warm and fuzzy, because I don't think I was out of line at all in suggesting this might need to be looked at a little more closely before anything's decided.

(obligatory tension-defusing smiley face line)
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141278 by
I am with you brother Steamboat28! :woohoo:

As far as the legal stuff, you seem to know more than I, so I will do my homework when the time comes for me to take on this big step.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141279 by
As I just said in my PM,

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

It's just evident to me in your writing. And, maybe it has nothing to do with you. Maybe it's my problem. Who cares? Just means I don't like talking with you.

In fact, I agree with everything you've put forward. And, nowhere did I contradict what you said. So, there's that. :D

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 month ago #141281 by Jestor
We do have one offline group affiliated with us, and that would be Zanthan's group in Minnesota...

Unbeknownst to most of you, Charters/Chapters/whatever, have been discussed...

We have discussed (not too in-depth, but its been talked about) it, ideas, thoughts, whatever...

Just an fyi...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
10 years 1 month ago #141282 by Whyte Horse

Adder wrote: it's close to a 'western' nation if evacuation or specialized medical care is required

Health care has changed a lot over there. A lot of westerners are going to Thailand and India because of the poor healthcare in the US/UK/CA. I'd take the Thai socialized healthcare system over the US private system any day...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #141284 by Brenna

Connor Lidell wrote:
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

hee heee heee :whistle:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi