Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141608 by steamboat28

Whyte Horse wrote: I really want to look into the trademark infringement that was mentioned. I strongly believe that TOTJO has sufficiently divested itself from Lucas Arts and I believe that anyone claiming TOTJO is infringing Lucas is violating my right to express my religion.

There are so many, many beams we need to yank out of our eyes before we traipse down the legal road to pull the trademark splinter out of Disney's. Not to mention the fact that if the word is trademarked, its "religious" status will not protect it from the law. In point of fact, our assertion that we are NOT movie Jedi may hurt us in this regard, by prompting the courts to ask "If the movies define Jedi, and you aren't movie Jedi, then why do you insist on the name? Why can't you change it to something that doesn't infringe on someone else's intellectual property?"

And, truthfully, I don't think any of us have a good bullsh*t response to that without taking about 7 minutes to confer with one another.

Brenna wrote: Firstly, one of the reasons I would not at this stage support the building of an official Temple, or for that matter advocate that we have an agressive fundraising strategy for the current funding needs, is because I dont believe that we are in a place where it is necessary. I dont know that we are ready for it.

I'd say we're not. I looked at the lists of knights and clergy the other day, and the numbers of folks (worldwide) who are "high" enough in the ranks to oversee or teach at such a Temple is barely enough for a good slumber party. We may get a fi'ty-'lev'm hits a day, but we don't have a membership nearly that high.

Drexid wrote: My initial idea was that we could continually improve it as time passes. From wood, to concrete, to the goal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a simple carpenter's son, but I don't think building works quite that way without a lot of demolition costs, too.

Drexid wrote: But remember Ve-Lo-Zi, Jediism isn't your typical christian religion.

As a Christian, I'm going to let you know right now that Christianity isn't even your typical Christian religion. And also, that TOTJO-Jediism is basically (in terms of organization and secular affairs) like putting Christianity and Buddhism in a blender, and pouring it into a website-shaped mold. The organizational structures, the fundraising methods, all of it are close enough to other major religions (rather than being more like other NRMs) as makes no matter whatsoever.

Drexid wrote: Does a temple call for the unification of the jedi religion? It would be hard to do, but very good for jediism. Is it realistic?

:lol: :silly: :lol: :silly: :lol: :pinch:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141612 by Zenchi
I'm on mobile so I can't quote, and that kind of sucks. I'm reading several statements referring to Jediism as another "Christian religion." This is coming from the mouth of a Sith, please, in the name of everything that is holy and good, STOP. Jediism is NOT a Christian religion, it is not Christianity in disguise.....ugh

Edit: It's possible that the comment in question was not in fact used in the context as read above, and if that's the case, my apologies....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Zenchi.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 month ago #141613 by Jestor

Zenchi wrote: I'm on mobile so I can't quote, and that kind of sucks. I'm reading several statements referring to Jediism as another "Christian religion." This is coming from the mouth of a Sith, please, in the name of everything that is holy and good, STOP. Jediism is NOT a Christian religion, it is not Christianity in disguise.....ugh

Tapatalk works well for the quoting, and you can quote at least three differnet sources...

Just sayin'...:)

I have to use browser fo PM's, but I use tapatalk more and more.... :whistle:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
10 years 1 month ago #141626 by Whyte Horse
Well maybe you should all team up and do a membership drive

I think it would be great if more people knew about Jediism but I'm not really looking forward to large numbers of Jedis. Think about what you're wishing for... Some say we we need more members before we'll need a temple. Others say we need a temple to increase our members. I say to hell with more members, haha.

I also don't think we should pander to the rich. If they can afford to donate but don't then that's their problem; the obvious lack of funds in the donation coffers shows us what the rich think of our religion.

I've never been a big fan of money. Maybe when I get time I'll build a temple with no money in order to teach you all a little lesson :whistle:

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141628 by
OK already, I've found the answer....

Attachment h7edf0a0.jpg not found

LEGO TEMPLES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

More
10 years 1 month ago #141666 by 666
split topic / split conversation

donations
real temple

for the real temple AGAIN, how we can have a temple without our name?
can we solve this?
there is no point to have a temple called whatever, not our name

"Jediism" is already trademarked too?

IMO, we need to solve the name problem (if is possible)
MOST important
this is an ONLINE temple, and even in this way, we as community can not make money to the minimum ( pay for the server)
one time this online temple, can survive by itself ( donations or whatever) lets go to the name or the real temple

doesn't make any sense to think about keep alive (afford) a real property when we can not pay just for a server.

Parks are free, the server that keep us all together is not.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141668 by

666 wrote: Parks are free, the server that keep us all together is not.

Most sensible thing in the thread so far.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141752 by Kohadre
As I have told a few members on this site, it is one of my future goals to open up a monastery in the southern part of my state which is close to the border between NY and PA (Lots of wooded land and cheap real-estate for building). I have already been looking at potential locations, although it is more window-shopping at the moment as I am in no financial position to place a payment on real estate for a monastery.

It is not my intent to have this monastery be a physical site for the TOTJO temple that everyone has talked about, but instead to have a real-world monastery with foundations built on the faith of Jediism which is promoted by TOTJO. As you can imagine, this would take a great deal of money to take from an idea and transform into a reality. I am currently looking for sponsors to help fund the monastery so that the monks which reside there can put time into serving the local community and engaging in upkeep of the monasteries grounds, however if I cannot make that happen then I may have to consider making it more of a community for lay monastics, who reside within the monastery but continue to work regular jobs in order to help fund the monastic community.

In the end, a big part of developing a temple or in this case a monastery, comes down in equal parts to the community which the temple/monastery will be serving, and the influx of finances which keeps the temple/monastery going. Without a community to serve, there is no point in having a temple or monastery. Without a steady influx of finances to pay the operating costs of the temple/monastery, as well as the costs of feeding the monastics/clergy who reside there and addressing the costs of providing healthcare for those clergy members, a temple/monastery will not be able to continue to serve the community which they have committed themselves to.

It may take me a few years to get this project into effect, or it may take decades. However, even if I have to fund this project entirely with my own money and continue working in order to establish a real world monastery based off the principals and beliefs of Jediism, I fully intend to at some point in the future, accomplish this goal of mine.

So, just thought I would throw it out there that there are those of us on here who are putting into plans of opening up some form of real world community based on the concepts and principals of Jediism.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #142479 by
As to the copyright name, why not change it to Temple of the Force, or Way of the Force, or use the Japanese form Temple of the Jidai Order?I see how the movie inspired the religion, but I also see many of it's members opposed or uncaring about labels and definitions.
It seems like this determination to keep Jedi in the name may well keep the group from legally advancing. "What is in a name? That which we call a rose by any other would still smell as sweet?" -Shakespear

Also included is a website with cheap building cost plans:
http://m.simplesolarhomesteading.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Findex.htm&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_access_token=55764040daab5cddda5d348b1d5b3ae7641def47&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_locale=en-US&fw_sig=58526c60942cd09b559fe6ae44268303&fw_sig_tier=2&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_session_key=f83efaa8eced56e9e556dab6dbacb11b5e016ca6748018cf68eb29f6e554d354-29190532&fw_sig_site=29190532&fw_sig_potential_abuse=1&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig_premium=1&fw_sig_url=http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com/&fw_sig_time=1395722480893&fb_sig_network=fw

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jidaigeki

Just in case someone wants to reference it in the future. It would be neat to have a temple, but yeah, land tax is expensive. Plus we should focus on building money towards to website first.

More
10 years 1 month ago #142481 by Adder
How about J3di :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi