Do we hide behind our titles? Thoughts?

More
6 years 6 months ago #303735 by FTPC
This might piss a lot people off
but it is my take on this matter

Do we hide behind our titles? Yes and here is why
It is because we don't understand the second Line of The Jedi Code,

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge
My point is we don't have the time to get to know The knight or sr knight or master, all that A master and Student will do is talk about the IP or their Journals or a Student will ask the Knight master will you teach me or Can I be your Apprentice?
right off the bat. Or A training Master and Student will have a fallen out because a scheduling conflicts and part ways

and offline
I have seen this as well in stores with Self-checkout at wall marts and two windows at MacDonalds a window for the money and then a window for the food.

My point is As the world becomes more Connected with the net and Social media pages, we become more disconnect with humans or as humans

Joined Monday 14 January 2015 16:03 guest -
Friday, 24, January 2015, 16:03 pm member
Wednesday may /18/2016 13:04 pm. Novice -
Thursday, July/ 17//2020 time 19:42 pm - Initiate rank-
Monday 20 Jul 2020 19:43 pm Apprintace- to Wescli Wardest

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303737 by Manu

FTPC wrote: This might piss a lot people off

Not sure why what you wrote should piss off anyone at all.

FTPC wrote: My point is we don't have the time to get to know The knight or sr knight or master, all that A master and Student will do is talk about the IP or their Journals or a Student will ask the Knight master will you teach me or Can I be your Apprentice?

Members are encouraged to write to several Knights in order to get to know them BEFORE entering an apprenticeship. Many knights are available on Skype as well.

FTPC wrote: As the world becomes more Connected with the net and Social media pages, we become more disconnect with humans or as humans

I haven't found that to be true at all. What we are given are more options. You aren't stuck with only your family or your neighbors. You have an infinitely bigger world to choose your friends from. If you choose not to talk to your neighbors, it's not Facebook's fault.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 6 months ago #303748 by FTPC

Manu wrote:

FTPC wrote: This might piss a lot people off

Not sure why what you wrote should piss off anyone at all.

FTPC wrote: My point is we don't have the time to get to know The knight or sr knight or master, all that A master and Student will do is talk about the IP or their Journals or a Student will ask the Knight master will you teach me or Can I be your Apprentice?

Members are encouraged to write to several Knights in order to get to know them BEFORE entering an apprenticeship. Many knights are available on Skype as well.

FTPC wrote: As the world becomes more Connected with the net and Social media pages, we become more disconnect with humans or as humans

I haven't found that to be true at all. What we are given are more options. You aren't stuck with only your family or your neighbors. You have an infinitely bigger world to choose your friends from. If you choose not to talk to your neighbors, it's not Facebook's fault.

That is just my point of view & what I have been threw

More
6 years 6 months ago #303750 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am grateful for the replys and the conversation. Each one and each heart represented here as well as reply is a individual Jedi ism that is a part of mine, of my own choosing. They all make a wonderful part of my life. I am glad for NOT being like you and you NOT being like me. In my practice there is never a contest . I take them all as valid and very well actual ...and in use.

You make me laugh smile smirk and ... think! How I love the diversity . It makes ME .. stronger . I hope it can make you some how stronger as well.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303751 by

Manu wrote:

JLSpinner wrote: My titles do not give me any more importance than you or anyone else. If I have made you feel this way, I apologize. That was not my intent. These titles don't mean anything other than the responsibilities I have to all of you here. They mean I am at your bidding.

I agree that the ranks and titles here do not make one more or less important than any other member, and rather, as you state JL, are set out for the purpose of indicating responsibility and service rather than serving a purpose of self-aggrandizement.

However, it is important to note that even if you do not hide behind your titles, others will try to hold you up to them. The responsibility of the title is also a liability, as it does give more force to what you say, and how what you say is tied into what TotJO deems official. It ain't fair, but it happens.

THIS^^^

As someone holding titles here, I can tell you that the "self-aggrandizement" certainly never measures up to the amount of expectation placed on those of us who hold certain titles. Those badges become an invitation for anyone here to call us out and expect us to react appropriately. I am honored that Knights here believed me to be worthy of representing them to Council as an Adviser, but I'm not going to lie, it has been an utter shit storm on various occasions. I've been simultaneously called a "troublemaker" from the top and a "traitor" from the bottom. I have been messaged in the middle of the night to deal with internet trolls and bullies, only to find out it was one of our own "Jedi". I have interrupted work to make sure a Knight interview happened in a timely manner. I've spent hours in the middle of two sides not just bickering, but waging very personal wars about the future of this Temple. I've seen people crumble under the pressure of the titles, and good friends of mine have abandoned this place and the path all together after the titles were deemed worthless to them. I've seen others step up and handle business at great personal sacrifice to themselves because the title demands it.

I'm not trying to complain about how bad I have it here. It is quite the contrary. I thrive on the opportunity to serve, even when I am failing at it miserably. I'll always keep trying. The point is, anyone can hide behind a title, but not for long. The expectations that come with the title won't allow it. The person holding the title either performs and gains the respect that can go with the title, or they fail to live up to the responsibility and the title means nothing, even if they get to keep it. Ultimately, the titles here simply tell others what tasks we are supposedly prepared to handle in the service of others, but if we don't back it up, there is no hiding behind those titles. Take them away, and I will still be the person I am, still capable of the tasks I was before. The difference is without the titles there is no expectation of serving others or completing the tasks required of the title.

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown."
"With great power comes great responsibility."
"The buck stops here."
"It's lonely at the top."

More
6 years 6 months ago #303752 by Eleven
FTPC I don't agree fully with your statements. I say not fully because I do see some of your points are valid but, I don't agree that everyone that is a Knight who takes on an Apprentice just picks and chooses. Those, who are granted the rank of Jedi Knight are taught not to just pick someone to teach. Secondly, I know many knights who hold an outside relationship with their apprentices and are open on the forums about such matters.

As far as my apprenticeship with my apprentice go I don't force myself into the their personal lives unless they allow me to. From the beginning He has been very nice and kind enough to share his world with me and the country he lives in. It's a blessing and has even offered me to come visit him one day which, is very kind of him. But, I also feel you can be connnected to someone in The Force without getting overly personal as well. I know myself and my Master Firewolf are very close and still are on a regular basis via text and skype. So FTPC your statements aren't all valid my friend and to assume that Knights, Sr. Knights and Apprentices and/or Novices aren't close isn't a good practice some just don't share with everyone out of privacy for them and their apprentices.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303754 by FTPC
Ok then I am sorry that I have offended the knights and their apprentices

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by FTPC.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303755 by Rosalyn J
I try not to. Its a bit of a dance isn't? If I ever "pull rank" or "pull position" it isn't to say "you ought to blindly believe me", but "I am responsible for (insert responsibility)"

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Adder, FTPC

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303756 by

FTPC wrote: Ok then I am sorry that I have offended the knights and their apprentices

No offence taken bud. You'll learn more about how the Apprenticeship works someday soon, I'm sure. :) Just keep working hard on that IP! :D

More
6 years 6 months ago #303757 by FTPC
Thanks Rosalyn :)
that is what I was trying to say

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi