Do we hide behind our titles? Thoughts?

More
6 years 7 months ago #300864 by Manu
Quoting a fragment of a post by Luciana on the meaning of "Knight" in another conversation going on here .

Warning: Spoiler!

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300866 by
And for the one who dont want to do the work there is always this :P

Jedi Knight Certificate !!

More
6 years 7 months ago #300871 by Kobos
I also, bought 2 Doctorates for $30.00 each!!!!; eat that Eastern Illinois University and Illinois Board of Education!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know where I can find a tenure certificate?

:)

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300877 by
Titles should not exist in a void. They are not ideas. Words mean something and titles mean something. Usually a title comes with responsibilities, and one has worked to be in a position to have the knowledge, and wisdom to have those responsibilities. Usually they incur a certain level of leadership and authority.

Now, there are poor leaders, and great leaders. Poor leaders can hide behind their titles, true, and depending on the system, as with Lykeios, it can seem so vague as to have no value.

The question isnt necessarily "Is there a minimum to being a Jedi or not" but, perhaps its more, what does one do as a Jedi? How does one act with that title? What responsibilities does it incur? How does one lead as a Jedi? Be an example as a Jedi? That would be the bare minimum.

Unless living as a Jedi is an introverted claim only. However a Jedi serves, and in the fiction, as advisors, leaders, and warriors. Now, you can argue the semantics of what that means I suppose, but what is "Living as aa Jedi?"

Titles can lift you up to higher standards, or not, but I think, as with any tool, its how you wield it.

To be Jedi, or to have any title, should also come with responsibilities and expectations.

Are you living up to those expectations?

Its not about proclaiming what you are, but then are you not proud to be a Jedi? For what you have worked for and earned?

Are you not proud to have others know it?

Not in a "Look at me, I am Jedi!"

But more, this is where I became the person who you can rely on to be a leader, advisor, warrior, etc.

I mean, I was a boy scout( yes, I know, its hard to believe) and we wore our uniforms, and did community service, as well as a multitude of other activities in the communitiy, and we were proud of the group we were in, the skills we had earned and the ability to change things.

We did not hide behind our titles, but we did celebrate them.

It is the same with Being a Sith

I am a Sith Lord, and it was hell to get here.

I am proud of my title, and the responsibilities, and authority I earned.

I am not hiding behind it, I want people to know because I think it is of value.

I want newer Sith to know that.

More
6 years 7 months ago #300882 by Carlos.Martinez3
Titles like tools can be ...
Hindrance as well as help. Where does the tool ,if I may , get its expert use or its distructivness ... From its direction . The user .the intent.
Personally for me the label isn't ever the problem, ( bad label go to
Your room, yea no!) titles labels aren't humans . it's how I use it. My reactions. Our reactions. The intent. Our reactions our intent.As Jedi my hope is all we find as we seek we use as experience points . Gaining more and more not ... To keep us, but more to free is if possible. If you gain and it keeps you, weighs u, hinders u, What really have you gained? is that worth keeping ?!
Thank u a million times for this. I myself am better for it. I continue to serve this place with you all!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300884 by
Now, I will ask another question.

Are individuals hiding behind the ambiguity and vagueness that is so rampant in Jedi communities?

Sayings like "Only the Force can stop you"

Or "There cannot define being a Jedi for everyone"

"What I like about being here, is that isnt about the Jedi path, but YOUR Jedi path."

" I dont have to blindly follow, or submit."

These can come off as wisdom, and as good things, but it can also be seen as escapism.

Do you see each other as true peers?

Those with authority and title, other than forum permissions, do you respect them, look to them as authorities on the path? Do you see them as good competent leaders and guides?

Do you really respect and value your community, and does playing vague, in your mind, lift it up truly, or only help to cause discord within it?

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300890 by Carlos.Martinez3
Now I will answer.
For me it really doesn't matter wether others are hiding or how they are or are not doing anything. My personal focus isn't that. I can not and will not say a ill word. How you see things is valid.truly. In my path your version of what you display is Jedi ism . Another beautiful one! I personally stopped worrying about what every one else was doing and began to turn to me and the result was somthimg I had hoped I recieved and so much more. This is my path. Not in competition with any one else's. To that for me, There is no discord . I encourage each of us to find our own ways and faiths and beliefs. Share your stories and seek out. Discord? How can I argue with you when I want to serve u? How can I hate you when my focus is to find the common conections not the labels that keep. ? ... Titles can be used so many difrent ways. It is to you and how you decide !

Edit: My light saber would defiantly be a difrent shade of purple.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #300894 by

Khaos wrote: Now, I will ask another question.

Are individuals hiding behind the ambiguity and vagueness that is so rampant in Jedi communities?

Yes , from my experience of 18 months of Jedi community , we are very afraid of confronting people with limits or offending them to the point where a compulsary imo is added , because god forbid we should talk down to people and tell them to please Jedi up

Sayings like "Only the Force can stop you"

That was my silly way of sayingthat nothing but yourself can stop you from getting what you want , or that nothing can stop you from trying

Or "There cannot define being a Jedi for everyone"

There are no cooky cutter Jedi , as there are no cooky cutter Sith? Honestly i don know what that sentence means as it is not in context

"What I like about being here, is that isnt about the Jedi path, but YOUR Jedi path."

There are a lot of ways leading to Rome , but they are useless when you are heading for Jerusalem ,
i agree with you here , there is only one Jedi path , its just , what road do you take there

" I dont have to blindly follow, or submit."

I could be wrong , but what is meant here is , question everything

These can come off as wisdom, and as good things, but it can also be seen as escapism.

You mean for a Religion based on a movie ? As good as any religion then , which is escapism in a way really is not it ?

Do you see each other as true peers?

Yes

Those with authority and title, other than forum permissions, do you respect them, look to them as authorities on the path? Do you see them as good competent leaders and guides?

I personally have a serious problem with authority , but in the end yes i respect them , If you are talking about TotJO the people in charge could do a lot better and as far as i am aware working to do so , but that is no reason not to see them as competent

Do you really respect and value your community, and does playing vague, in your mind, lift it up truly, or only help to cause discord within it?

If vagueness is used because people are afraid to hurt eachother it causes discord and misunderstandins but if its because people dont master the language , ask again what they mean , there is no one stopping you from asking for clarification when someone is rambling or sprouting pseudo religious Jibberish

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300898 by Manu

Amyntas wrote: You mean for a Religion based on a movie ? As good as any religion then , which is escapism in a way really is not it ?

I have a radically different view from you, Amyntas. First off, the movies might have provided the symbological elements with which we "interface" with religion, but it's not a game for me, no escape from reality. As a matter of fact, it is about embracing reality and seeing it for what it really is.

Tenets, Doctrine, Creed... they all stem organically from my appreciation of reality. I have no use of escaping towards idealistic concepts posted on a web page just so I can pretend to wield a lightsaber in my bathrobes.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #300899 by Eleven
Lyklios, I love you my friend your honest and I feel want to be a Jedi. I've watched your posts recently. Correct me if I am wrong but, if totjo were to become more conservative and mare bylaws and an extract definition on what a jedi is. Banned members, jedi Knights or other trouble makers from being part of it for violation of the code? Be more like other churches like Christianity?

Jedi ism is how you make it my friend. You cannot let others decide how you live as a jedi or not. I personally like being a jedi and being here. Do we always get along? No, do we agree always? No. Am perfect ? Nope way off...I am human and I accept that.

But, I am a Jedi and I do my best to live it here and in society.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Eleven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, , Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi