Do we hide behind our titles? Thoughts?

More
6 years 6 months ago #302990 by Eleven
Streen, I never meant any offense toward you. If I have offended you my apologies that wasn't intentionally. But, you did come across hostile toward br. John and me. To say you helped create the community of jedi is fair but, be fair to people like br. John and others here who helped build this place up for us to go to its a lot of work keeping day to day operation of this place as this place represents just one of the many communities jedi go to. You don't gotta like everything or everyone but, give credit where credit is due we got a lot good stuff and people on this temple.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303012 by
I was wondering how long it would be before you put in the whole " I have been doing this for over 20 years" statement.

If you have let go of being a Jedi, or Sith, titles, and labels, then, who cares?

It was simply your ego again, and your disdain for others using them and respecting them is probably more to do with that butt hurt than anything else.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303013 by

Khaos wrote: It was simply your ego again

You are lecturing me about ego? That's funny.

Besides, you're ignoring the topic at hand, and instead trying to insult me. Why don't you offer your opinion on the difference between a university and a Jedi temple, as Br. John mentioned?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303017 by
Meh....I first saw a couple of posts on page 8 when i clicked on the link to this thread (For some reason it didn't take me to the first page first....), and then I jumped back to read the first post.....

And I think I will just answer the title question rather than wade through opinions ;) meaning no offense!

Do we hide behind our titles? Thoughts?

Some do yes. Others more than another or that one guy.

I don't... don't think....

I used to. That is how I started out in Jediism. I was being bullied and judged by others because I had "No Religion" when I first started Highschool.....And then I became a Jedi and Everyone wanted to sit at my table. It was nice to have people to debate philosophy with.

I have learned however that life is a book load of titles that we earn over time and a great great many of said titles are shared or similar with everyone else in the world. The importance is in how we PRACTICE the titles we earn rather than the title themselves.

The answer isn't black and white. And is based solely on the individual's attachments to the title and/or the practice.

I much prefer the practice these days :) I don't much care for a loaded table of debaters anymore. Leave that to the younger generation ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303107 by
Thank you, Trisskar, for bringing this thread back around to the original topic.

I have to say that I find that fascinating that you were bullied for having no religion and revered for being a Jedi. The exact opposite would have happened to me at my highschool.

And I would have to agree with your general point. We earn titles almost from birth, but as we get older we get to choose which ones we want to hold on to and how we utilize them.

I'm not much for debate either (in spite of the previous arguments in this thread), as I got my fill from much older Jedi websites. One thing I've come to learn over the years is that everyone has a different point of view, no matter how similar one might seem to another. We're all carrying around our own perspective that is utterly unique.

So titles are essentially arbitrary and ambiguous, because they cannot describe one's complete and total belief system.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303193 by Manu

Streen wrote: So titles are essentially arbitrary and ambiguous, because they cannot describe one's complete and total belief system.

The map is not the territory, and yet maps are useful, no?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303209 by

Streen wrote: I have to say that I find that fascinating that you were bullied for having no religion and revered for being a Jedi. The exact opposite would have happened to me at my highschool.

I was lucky to be in an International College Prep Boarding School ...... Instead of your traditional Public School.

Due to the "International" aspect of this particular school.....We had students from all over the world. Tibetians, Russians, Bulgarian's, Japan, China, England, Korean.....I mean....the list of Diverse culture goes on.... As a result, you had alot of teenage students who were all religious in their own culture. They could not grasp the idea that anyone in this world could simply be "No Religion" They would try and put popular labels to the idea so that they could grasp the concept and I would explain that no matter what label they try and put on it....it was not equal to "No religion"

Jedi, at least broke the tension with a bit of humor and mockery at first.....but like Missionaries.....If you talk about a thing with conviction and spirit....you attract others of similar ideas. And since the students were from all over they world....they were able to appreciate the fact that my idea of "Jedi" was inclusive to their ideas of Religion and Philosophy.

Which is a useful observation when discussing our "Titles" If we treat our "Titles" with a positive and spiritual conviction of inclusion rather than exclusion.....We will find no reason to hide behind them because others will simply join in, or at least display respect towards your spirit.

Sadly.....That is not something you get at most Public Schools because the reach of diversity is meerly within your very christian effected district. (At least true of America)

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303219 by OB1Shinobi
Titles that one can achieve without having to learn something useful are useless (by definition). Of course, "usefull" has got a lot of room for imagination to work. Titles that were earned through a curriculum which is shown to produce people competent in some or other field of knowledge or activity, are often useful and therefore valuable. If youve never earned a title that is worth something, that is a reflection of you and your own priorities, not of the value of titles in general.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303226 by

Manu wrote: The map is not the territory, and yet maps are useful, no?

Of course. But can you live in a map? ;)

More
6 years 6 months ago #303227 by Manu

Streen wrote:

Manu wrote: The map is not the territory, and yet maps are useful, no?

Of course. But can you live in a map? ;)

No. But that's not what maps are for.

Take your own case. "Time in the community" is your title, it can be used to offer perspective on the fact that you've been around long enough to notice what works and what doesn't. But if you try to use it in lieu of a proper argument, it comes off as posturing and ego. It becomes misused.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi