Squats (10) 50% depth
Pushups (10) modified version
Walking lunge (10) 50% depth
Dumbell row (10 each side) increased weight 1/2 lb
Plank (10) corrected form today
Jumping Jacks (30) modified version
Walking cool down

Twice

Question. . . my thigh muscles were still in rough shape today, so I modified the depth of lunges and squats to 50% but kept the same number of reps as wednesday. Would it have been better to go the depth and reduce the number of reps while the muscles are still in recovery?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135823 by
Replied by on topic Workout Check-In Thread

Mareeka wrote: Question. . . my thigh muscles were still in rough shape today, so I modified the depth of lunges and squats to 50% but kept the same number of reps as wednesday. Would it have been better to go the depth and reduce the number of reps while the muscles are still in recovery?

That soreness is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and can be reduced by starting out at 50% intensity in the first week before 100% a week later. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that says exercising sore muscles actually helps to relieve the pain. Scientifically, this is known as the repeated bout effect. Make sure you eat properly to keep electrolyte levels up. Having a protein shake before, during, and after an intense workout helps. Creatine helps keep the soreness away as well.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135827 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Workout Check-In Thread

Mareeka wrote: Question. . . my thigh muscles were still in rough shape today, so I modified the depth of lunges and squats to 50% but kept the same number of reps as wednesday. Would it have been better to go the depth and reduce the number of reps while the muscles are still in recovery?

I, personally, prefer to do half as many reps at full depth, but I have literally no medical or scientific data to back up that preference. lol

jasonwilkins wrote: That soreness is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and can be reduced by starting out at 50% intensity in the first week before 100% a week later. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that says exercising sore muscles actually helps to relieve the pain. Scientifically, this is known as the repeated bout effect. Make sure you eat properly to keep electrolyte levels up. Having a protein shake before, during, and after an intense workout helps. Creatine helps keep the soreness away as well.

Staying hydrated (but not overly so!) helps a bit, too.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 2 months ago #135828 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Workout Check-In Thread
Ow. Ow. Owowow. Ow.

I did my time today and I'ma feel it all weekend. >.<
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 2 months ago #135903 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Workout Check-In Thread
S2 yesterday; shoulders and triceps with a pair of dumbells.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135925 by
I was making head way but work got in the way.. 6 day straights ment only 1 day for a visit to the country club and a work out. Well I guess a n hour in the gym is better tan not at all...
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 2 months ago #135937 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Workout Check-In Thread
Does walking approximately 10km from vineyard to vineyard on a wine tour count as a workout? :woohoo:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135938 by

Brenna wrote: Does walking approximately 10km from vineyard to vineyard on a wine tour count as a workout? :woohoo:

40 minutes X 3 per week of weight bearing (which does not have to be cardio) will maintain healthy and strong bones. The duration is necessary to produce new cells. Walk around the house, up and down the street, on a treadmill, back and forth in a room or vineyard to vineyard . . . :)

More
10 years 2 months ago #136191 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Workout Check-In Thread

Brenna wrote: Does walking approximately 10km from vineyard to vineyard on a wine tour count as a workout? :woohoo:

Yep :side:

S1 for me today. Cable; seated press, seated row, overhead row w/ tricep extensions, and curls.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136193 by
Back to the gym tomorrow, last LONG DAY of work today then back to normal hours.....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi