Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #140880 by
I wasn't trying to say this would be where people live or stay. I meant it would have a little patio area, some special type areas and some vegetation and other totjo related things.

People would meet there in early morning then go to a hotel in the area. I agree a real housing temple would be very hard to implement. Restrooms seem like the only utility a temple would need in my opinion.

The land in this area is near desert. No one cares about noise pollution(there is only few houses in the area and fewer cattle farms), you can see the stars like no other place near a city. In fact its not far from McDonald observatory as well as big bend nation park.

The weather is no big deal, the rain is weak and never snow. In summer it's hot, in winter it's very good. Water would be brought in, but that would be up to the person.

The building materials would be up to the people.

Now insurance I am unsure of. I don't think insurance is needed on something of such little value but Idk. Legalzoom is a website that would help us out there.
Tax is $440 a year. (estimate)
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140882 by

Drexid wrote: I wasn't trying to say this would be where people live or stay. I meant it would have a little patio area, some special type areas and some vegetation and other totjo related things.

People would meet there in early morning then go to a hotel in the area. I agree a real housing temple would be very hard to implement. Restrooms seem like the only utility a temple would need in my opinion.

The land in this area is near desert. No one cares about noise pollution(there is only few houses in the area and fewer cattle farms), you can see the stars like no other place near a city. In fact its not far from McDonald observatory as well as big bend nation park.

The weather is no big deal, the rain is weak and never snow. In summer it's hot, in winter it's very good. Water would be brought in, but that would be up to the person.

The building materials would be up to the people.

Now insurance I am unsure of. I don't think insurance is needed on something of such little value but Idk. Legalzoom is a website that would help us out there.
Tax is $440 a year. (estimate)

But the problem is that we can either go through doing all of this, or we can just meet up in a park...

I'm a huge fan of having a Temple, I've always been interested in being someone charged with the long-term running of one (living there permanently) etc. I don't see a 'never ever ever' attitude amongst the Jedi I see discussing this, it is just totally unfeasible at the moment.

If someone wanted to contribute to the project then I would suggest actually getting a full architectural and costed plan done. As a member of the Council I would never endorse something like this if we never had a complete plan. If we have a plan then we have a guide-mark to aim for and an idea of what land would need to be bought. Even if we had the money that day it probably wouldn't be built immediately, because we would need the membership too.

But a plan (and as I said an architectural and costed plan - not just a 'I have this cool idea' plan) would be the very first thing - unless you know a pre-built site already available.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #140884 by
Well what type of building does it need to be? It would have to be solar powered since there is little electricity lines out there. That would be priced at $1,000 if commercially done, but we are a community for a reason. We could build it for only $200. Honestly, a simple building is not as hard as it seems. That is assuming it is very limited in function.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/earthen-homes-zm0z12aszmat.aspx
How personal can our temple be if we didn't design or build ourselves?

All I am asking for is a well thought out plan and discussion. Only Once a plan is well developed can we truly wait for the time to come.

“Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
― Warren Buffett
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by .

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140885 by Whyte Horse
I agree with Akkarin. The will is there but the resources may not be. I bet you could count on a few people volunteering to aid in construction and maybe 1 or 2 people as live-in care-takers. These volunteers and caretakers will need food, water, shelter, etc.

On the other hand, you don't really need to increase membership. My mom goes to a local church that has like 8 people at any given sermon. It's just a converted house and everything was donated. Many people come for the social aspect. It doesn't cost much to run and the costs are crowd-funded by the members. They have classes, seminars, retreats, etc.

A few "outside the box" suggestions might include:
1. Schoolie: convert a school bus into a mobile temple
2. Tiny Temple: Put a tiny temple on a trailer
3. Tree temple: treehouse temple

As far as a detailed plan, there are lots of plans available for tiny homes and schoolies. My friend is building a tiny home and he got the trailer for free by tearing down a condemned trailer house. He'll probably spend about $10k when all is said and done. Schoolies cost about the same.

The cool thing about a mobile temple is you can bring it to the meet-ups and do time-sharing parking between different collections of Jedis in different regions. Take it to a media frenzy, get on the news, spread the word about Jediism, etc. If it works out then maybe there would be an increase in members and more than one temple would be needed, etc. Eventually it could just be parked permanently where the most Jedis go.

Another cool idea is to build a floating portable temple like a catamaran. Then you could sail it over to UK, etc, but it costs a lot to build one. I always wanted to build one and sail the world so I highly recommend this idea ;).

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140889 by
A floating portable temple would be cool if there weren't so many restrictions in air space. Its impossible tho.

I think its just speculation that only a few people would aid in construction. Everyone could help plan the construction while other people willing enough to visit would be able to go there and build it.

Lets get an actual number of people who are willing to go there and build it.
I am willing to. So count me.

People don't realize that you can get free building wood from shops if they are a little off size. You can also build with part of the land as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #140890 by
If I still lived in Texas, I would help. But, I'm in Indiana and I'll be (probably) moving to Colorado in a few years, where I'll be building IJRS's temple with the Faculty of that site.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140907 by steamboat28

Whyte Horse wrote: 3. Tree temple: treehouse temple

Hey, I could help with that one. I'm kinda Wookiee-ish.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140944 by 666
to be realistic, most likely need to be in a touristic area, than in the middle of nowhere.
obviously more expensive to acquire but easy to reach, and make a profit from it.
BUT again, is that right?

Now i am in south america, and hopefully I am going back home this year (South Beach)
Weather is great. lot of people from around the world.... extremely expensive...
it is possible to make money if you have something like a small hotel/hostal

but what is the porpoise of it?
I do like the idea, just because the idea itself, when my trip start (to south america) i was thinking to live here, for long, long time. and building one was not as difficult than in other countries. but looks like i coming back to US.

You need a real income, to have a real temple. is not a one time found rise
you need minimum to pay bills and one person to stay there.

and the only way I can think that works, is making the temple, a way to make money, and that MAYBE doesn't look right.
so the best option is to use it, as a hostel for jedi visiting, or for curious
for thaat you need, infrastructure, lot of permissions, and lot of money
can be done.... YES
if we found someone willing to give away a property with some characteristics, or a LOT of money.
and make that temple make his own money to survive.
Possible yes, but in a better location.
obviously if is me, I say south beach, or Manhattan .... ha ha ha,
if someone can donate a couple of millions, i can make this happen....

i don;t see a real temple in any time soon. without money.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140945 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: 3. Tree temple: treehouse temple

Hey, I could help with that one. I'm kinda Wookiee-ish.

Couldn't be in Texas then... Texas doesn't HAVE Trees XD

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #140947 by steamboat28

666 wrote: and the only way I can think that works, is making the temple, a way to make money, and that MAYBE doesn't look right.

Why not? it's what every other organized religion does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 666, Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi