Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

More
10 years 1 month ago #140966 by 666

steamboat28 wrote:

666 wrote: and the only way I can think that works, is making the temple, a way to make money, and that MAYBE doesn't look right.

Why not? it's what every other organized religion does.

True

but because when you order something, (store) or IDs/diplomas, the temple try to make it without a real profit, make me think,
but you are right

all religions make money in one way or other

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #140968 by Whyte Horse

666 wrote: You need a real income, to have a real temple.

I can see the logic in that... in a Greco-Roman, Western, egocentric, compartmentalized, reductionist, fragmented, linear thought process that counts on cleverness kind of way.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #140974 by
I agree with Whyte Horse.

You know where this starts? It starts with two people getting together regularly. When, five years down the road, they have a "congregation" of 40, and they build a building... Money will be involved in some way. Possibly, they will have to sell things. Maybe it will be donated. Maybe we'll become a charity.

The one thing I know: Freedom lies in the present moment. We have an infinite number of choices for each special moment. By saying: "This will happen" in a prophecy-like manner, we are reducing the number of options.

Being realistic doesn't mean limited.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141024 by
The Christian church I went to as a teen started with a tent in the woods and existed that way for its first two years until the congregation grew large enough to warrant building a church... everything has to start small.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141026 by Whyte Horse

Naya wrote: The Christian church I went to as a teen started with a tent in the woods and existed that way for its first two years until the congregation grew large enough to warrant building a church... everything has to start small.

Dude, Occupy Jediism! B)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141139 by
The problem is that we do already meet together. On the internet.
We just need one connecting place for all of us. An official one.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141141 by steamboat28

Drexid wrote: The problem is that we do already meet together. On the internet.

And you see how easy it is to get people involved when literally all they have to do is open a browser. Try getting them to actually drive somewhere. Good. Luck.

We just need one connecting place for all of us. An official one.

We have one. You mentioned it in the previous sentence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #141151 by Brenna
If I lived on the same continent as other Jedi, the solution for me would be simple. I would invite people for meals, to group meditations, to classes I found interesting, to share important days on our calendar. I would welcome the Jedi I knew into my home.

In short, you make your Temple where you are.

If you want more of a sense of community, then reach out to those around you and build one.

The idea of "build it and they will come"... sure. Eventually. But no religion started with a temple. I was in Malta about a year ago and got to see where St Peter was said to have started preaching after the shipwreck. On a raised piece of rock in a shallow cave. (its extremely creepy to be honest. had a weird vibe)

There will never be just one physical connecting place. we are scattered all over the world. And I doubt we will ever have a "Rome", nor would we want one i think!

As for your maths.... there is a struggle to get enough people to donate to keeping the website running, and if people will not even pay for the use of this Temple, they will not pay for a Temple that they probably couldnt even get to.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kit, , Zenchi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141153 by
nooo, I'm not saying to build and people will come (even though there would be a boost of people) I am suggesting to plan a real temple. Not in the sense that we have deadlines and goals, merely as allowing us the room for expansion and development.

With an official temple we would be able to inspire other temples to rise like a domino effect. These temples would not serve as weekly or monthly meetings, that is not what jediism is about. A year or half a year gathering would be the main purpose of these temples.
Just like you would see in the jedi movies, people could still be there via video communication like skype. Its about the sense of reality.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #141154 by Brenna

Drexid wrote: nooo, I'm not saying to build and people will come (even though there would be a boost of people) I am suggesting to plan a real temple. Not in the sense that we have deadlines and goals, merely as allowing us the room for expansion and development.

With an official temple we would be able to inspire other temples to rise like a domino effect. These temples would not serve as weekly or monthly meetings, that is not what jediism is about. A year or half a year gathering would be the main purpose of these temples.
Just like you would see in the jedi movies, people could still be there via video communication like skype. Its about the sense of reality.

So... you want us to buy land with money we do not have and build a Temple that we would use once every six months, or maybe only once a year.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi