Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141156 by

Brenna wrote:

Drexid wrote: nooo, I'm not saying to build and people will come (even though there would be a boost of people) I am suggesting to plan a real temple. Not in the sense that we have deadlines and goals, merely as allowing us the room for expansion and development.

With an official temple we would be able to inspire other temples to rise like a domino effect. These temples would not serve as weekly or monthly meetings, that is not what jediism is about. A year or half a year gathering would be the main purpose of these temples.
Just like you would see in the jedi movies, people could still be there via video communication like skype. Its about the sense of reality.

So... you want us to buy land with money we do not have and build a Temple that we would use once every six months, or maybe only once a year.

all of these talks need to be more inflected with an air of realism.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141158 by
The money required is near nothing ($2,000) for two years.(consider kickstarter as another method to gain money) There have been no aggressive tactics to gain donations because we haven't really needed it.

The temple would be used as much as is needed, but at our current size it would most likely be once a year or half a year. The purpose of this temple is not to drill sermons into your heads like a traditional church. If we met every week or month, we would eventually turn to the same problems other churches have(unless it was literally like a Buddhist monastery). The temple would be open to the public, but only official meet ups would be once or twice per year.

What is realistic to you?

More
10 years 1 month ago #141164 by 666

Drexid wrote: The money required is near nothing ($2,000) for two years.(consider kickstarter as another method to gain money) There have been no aggressive tactics to gain donations because we haven't really needed it.

The temple would be used as much as is needed, but at our current size it would most likely be once a year or half a year. The purpose of this temple is not to drill sermons into your heads like a traditional church. If we met every week or month, we would eventually turn to the same problems other churches have(unless it was literally like a Buddhist monastery). The temple would be open to the public, but only official meet ups would be once or twice per year.

What is realistic to you?

the first realistic thing (if the money is there, and we need to define just the location)... can not be in the middle of nowhere ... even if they give you the land for free.
centralized, easy access, easy to reach or find.
AND like I say before, if this is realistic, and you are going to travel from around the world to visit this, minimum, a place to stay.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141167 by
Why is a place to stay so important? Hotels are cheap and even give free breakfast.

My idea is that you do not want it by a city since pollution and other factors make it less homey and natural. In texas, it is by many cities as well as many parks and recreation. As a temple, it is a place to learn. You should be able to see the stars easily. With directions, everywhere is easy to find.

I argue for the sake of finding a solution.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141169 by
Right so a question I posed earlier was... why do we need to spend $2000 on a temple when going to a park is free?

More
10 years 1 month ago #141171 by Adder
What about a swamp; those places are so full of life it would be spooky to meditate among all the frogs, insects etc, and probably really cheap LOL. Full of the living Force!!! No Banjo's allowed.

Instead of looking for some visceral connection to members at a private themed location for general activity, how about looking for a specific visceral activity themed for its functional purpose to ones spiritual development. If something is functional then it could perhaps more easily justify any concept of expenditure, in creation and visitation.

Most things are already available, but a few good unique ideas bundled together and you could have a spiritual development park in the making, hire it out to companies to get their Force on with corporate weekends etc.

Otherwise I think a lot of the University's around are very much Temple-esk, and being places of knowledge is very apt - perhaps student groups is an avenue for consolidation of people in the real world.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
10 years 1 month ago #141174 by 666

Drexid wrote: Why is a place to stay so important? Hotels are cheap and even give free breakfast.

My idea is that you do not want it by a city since pollution and other factors make it less homey and natural. In texas, it is by many cities as well as many parks and recreation. As a temple, it is a place to learn. You should be able to see the stars easily. With directions, everywhere is easy to find.

if you can not stay there, any park in the world is perfect. we don't need a place, where you can not stay, that maybe is closed when you arrive, or maybe you are the only one there....
if you are going to be alone in the middle of nowhere Texas .... whats the point?, i am alone now, and I never met other Jedi in person.

if you have a temple in a touristic place, you can have more people interesting in jediism, also make money to keep the temple up and running
that's the only way I found a real temple can work/exist right now.

anyway, convince me that your idea can work.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

More
10 years 1 month ago #141179 by Whyte Horse

666 wrote:

Drexid wrote: Why is a place to stay so important? Hotels are cheap and even give free breakfast.

if you can not stay there, any park in the world is perfect. we don't need a place, where you can not stay, that maybe is closed when you arrive, or maybe you are the only one there....
if you are going to be alone in the middle of nowhere Texas .... whats the point?, i am alone now, and I never met other Jedi in person.

if you have a temple in a touristic place, you can have more people interesting in jediism, also make money to keep the temple up and running
that's the only way I found a real temple can work/exist right now.

anyway, convince me that your idea can work.

Actually the best place to be alone is in a bar in the city :side:

I don't think you'd get away with a Jedi theme park without Lucas getting a big fat cut. If the temple hosts corporate retreats then I will be there with my cattle prod.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 1 month ago #141180 by Whyte Horse

Akkarin wrote: Right so a question I posed earlier was... why do we need to spend $2000 on a temple when going to a park is free?

Because you can't put your weeeed in there.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141181 by Adder

Whyte Horse wrote: I don't think you'd get away with a Jedi theme park without Lucas getting a big fat cut. If the temple hosts corporate retreats then I will be there with my cattle prod.

Haha, yea no, I don't mean Star Wars theme when I say theme'd. I just mean built to serve some (doctrinal?) purpose - education, spirituality etc

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi