Philosophy is dead, or, my Jediism is what you need to believe, or else.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317465 by Rosalyn J

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: I would still like to know, then

What would a lesson NOT written to please authority look like?

I ask because I genuinely want to know, because I want to mprove as a teacher as well

As one case in point I think there needs to be much more interaction when it comes to the IP. No one is allowed to question or challenge anyone in the journals. Its a sterile environment where the student walks through the motions in a vacuum. Things do seem to be improving in that regard however with the study halls and such so that is a step in the right direction I think.

I think there shall also be more "IP study groups" on discord. They were previously organized by Nakis and one was organized by Twigga who I think may be doing a second as well.

We could always use more voices.

Also, Kyrin, I think you make a good point by saying no one is allowed to challenge people in their journals. It could be, though, that some point could be brought to the wider forum or to them in PM. We have the IP team which does work with Novices through the IP and we could always use some help there.

So there are spaces

More to the point, I don't believe that the IP requests certain answers. I have never read a journal exactly the same as another because each person comes to the Temple with their own set of experiences and is approaching their learning in their own way. Have you noticed something different?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317466 by steamboat28

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As one case in point I think there needs to be much more interaction when it comes to the IP. No one is allowed to question or challenge anyone in the journals. Its a sterile environment where the student walks through the motions in a vacuum.

That's precisely what makes it a good initial teaching tool.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317467 by

Proteus wrote: What would you do differently if you were put into a position of running an entire community and hope to keep some kind of order and/or focus in it? Would these lines which Tellahane mentions exist?

Get rid of the master mentality for one thing. No one here is a master. In fact most of the new Jedi have had more training than the older Jedi. Others here have tons of life experience and that should be taken into account. We are all equals and all should be treated that way. Just basic respect for everyone here and their potential and ability to teach anyone a life lesson just as much as those authorized to.

If an extreme is to be had get rid of rank all together and instead just earn and grant degrees. and if that degree is in earning 100 points then that should be the criteria, period. No one gets to go off on their own and change that just because they don't feel in fits a standard. It makes the temple look bad when this happens. It was suggested I leave if I didn't like the version of Jedi this place teaches but that goes both ways as far as I'm concerned. Either conform to this temples standards or go off on your own and create your own temple with your standards that includes 300 points.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317468 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As one case in point I think there needs to be much more interaction when it comes to the IP. No one is allowed to question or challenge anyone in the journals. Its a sterile environment where the student walks through the motions in a vacuum.

That's precisely what makes it a good initial teaching tool.

How so?

More
6 years 1 month ago #317469 by steamboat28
Because it allows them a space to develop their own ideas before they have to defend them from the sundry abrasive personalities that inhabit this Temple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Avalon

More
6 years 1 month ago #317470 by Rosalyn J

In fact most of the new Jedi have had more training than the older Jedi.

How did you come upon that conclusion?

Your point on greater life experience is received, but how do we measure that in a fair way? Age?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
6 years 1 month ago #317471 by Proteus

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Proteus wrote: What would you do differently if you were put into a position of running an entire community and hope to keep some kind of order and/or focus in it? Would these lines which Tellahane mentions exist?

Get rid of the master mentality for one thing. No one here is a master. In fact most of the new Jedi have had more training than the older Jedi. Others here have tons of life experience and that should be taken into account. We are all equals and all should be treated that way. Just basic respect for everyone here and their potential and ability to teach anyone a life lesson just as much as those authorized to.

If an extreme is to be had get rid of rank all together and instead just earn and grant degrees. and if that degree is in earning 100 points then that should be the criteria, period. No one gets to go off on their own and change that just because they don't feel in fits a standard. It makes the temple look bad when this happens. It was suggested I leave if I didn't like the version of Jedi this place teaches but that goes both ways as far as I'm concerned. Either conform to this temples standards or go off on your own and create your own temple with your standards that includes 300 points.

But how would this deal with the issue of order? If you ran a community and somebody came into the temple and their mission was to frequently and consistently complain that they didn't like how you were running it and pleaded cases of this to the rest of the temple at their every opportunity how would you deal with this? Afterall, there is authority in this case, and that authority technically is you.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317472 by

Rosalyn J wrote:
More to the point, I don't believe that the IP requests certain answers. I have never read a journal exactly the same as another because each person comes to the Temple with their own set of experiences and is approaching their learning in their own way. Have you noticed something different?

These things you mention are all good things but I think people would be very hesitant to carry something out from a journal to post on the open board. It might be interpreted as an attack. PM can be a good way and I have used that a lot bring points out and those interactions have been good but it also leaves that interaction hidden from public view so no one else gets to benefit from that.

As to my noticing something different, yes I think your right that everyone has their own approach and set of life tools they bring to the training. What I'm trying to get at, and is slowly forming in my mind as we have this discussion, is the wildly varying degree of experience people have here. And the lessons dont always really cater to that well I think. Maybe we need an Advanced Placement program? :P Or maybe a better Adv IP program? I know that triss was putting some of that stuff out there in the standards thread.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317473 by

Rosalyn J wrote:

In fact most of the new Jedi have had more training than the older Jedi.

How did you come upon that conclusion?

Your point on greater life experience is received, but how do we measure that in a fair way? Age?

Its just what I have always been told so your right, Im guilty of spreading hearsay. I was not here in the old days so I dont know what it was like, so I guess I should not say that.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317474 by Rosalyn J

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote:
As to my noticing something different, yes I think your right that everyone has their own approach and set of life tools they bring to the training. What I'm trying to get at, and is slowly forming in my mind as we have this discussion, is the wildly varying degree of experience people have here. And the lessons dont always really cater to that well I think. Maybe we need an Advanced Placement program? :P Or maybe a better Adv IP program? I know that triss was putting some of that stuff out there in the standards thread.

Could you expand a little as to what you mean? Are you suggesting people may have already studied Campbell and Watts and the other things we have in the IP?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi