Philosophy is dead, or, my Jediism is what you need to believe, or else.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 1 month ago #317384 by ren

Again, this thread isn't about Kyrin wanting to leave, nor has Kyrin said anything about giving up on this place, but moreso pointing out a problem that needs to be addressed.

What problem? Kyrin has called the views of some 'senior' people here unacceptable, in the first post. Kyrin clearly does not want these people to continue to hold these views. Solution kyrin should suck it up or leave instead of accusing others of what kyrin does. Don't like something? Go. This isn't a cult where others do as you say or no-one can escape. you can go elsewhere find a religion where everyone believes the same and every interaction is about reinforcing these beliefs.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317386 by

ren wrote:

Again, this thread isn't about Kyrin wanting to leave, nor has Kyrin said anything about giving up on this place, but moreso pointing out a problem that needs to be addressed.

What problem? Kyrin has called the views of some 'senior' people here unacceptable, in the first post. Kyrin clearly does not want these people to continue to hold these views. Solution kyrin should suck it up or leave instead of accusing others of what kyrin does. Don't like something? Go. This isn't a cult where others do as you say or no-one can escape. you can go elsewhere find a religion where everyone believes the same and every interaction is about reinforcing these beliefs.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 1 month ago #317392 by ren
Rofl.

Do you not get it? Kyrin will not get his way. You will not either. The end.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317393 by
It doesn't have to be about getting one's way, highlighting deficiencies can be beneficial if handled deftly. If things are the way Kryin described then those wouldn't be the sort of people I would follow, but then I wouldn't say I actually 'followed' anyone here anyway lol. If they are wrong then talking about the issues can help educate all parties so they have something to teach. As for association, well even if those weren't the sort of people I would associate with, there are lots of other people besides them who make up our Order. And again if there are lessons or positions I could educate them on then they are exactly the people I ought to be associating with.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317400 by

Athena_Undomiel wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As a point of context, there is no such thing as derailing this thread. Anything and everything can be discussed no matter where it leads to.

Athena_Undomiel wrote: I'm still waiting to hear from Kyrin on my response.

Sorry I'm at a wrestling tournament today and have limited access. What was your question or comment you wanted me to respond to?

As it seems you simply wished to start this thread to bring some form of chaos here and don't actually wish to discuss anything. I bid you good-day.
Take care Kyrin
May the force be with you.

Whoa, wait a minute here, I dont think this comment is a fair assessment. Im sorry that the minutia of my life interferes with what you consider an acceptable response time. I have other things going on in my life besides replying to posts on this board, as I think we all do, so try to have a bit more patience. I have more time today and will catch up and respond appropriately.

thanks!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317403 by

ren wrote:

your comments are neither relevant, valid or accurate. If you cant provide something positive to this thread please dont reply at all. You know what they say about keeping your mouth shut and people thinking your stupid vs opening your mouth and confirming the fact. :P

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317405 by

Athena_Undomiel wrote: If I may...
from my seat on the sidelines I have watched and witnessed several of these "interactions" to which you refer.
I feel that these conversations you are trying to have, under the guise of philosophy reveal more about your own inner workings than even you may realize.

I hope so because that is my only goal, to provide that not only for myself but for others as well. There are some here that believe debate and spirited conversations should not be engaged in at this temple. These people form shallow assumptions about reality and come to superficial conclusions about the meaning of the human condition. They take these things and slather this place in a thick, gooey, sickly sweet syrup of meaningless platitude and echo chamber reply. This only serves to stagnate the growth of this Temple and its membership.

Athena_Undomiel wrote: Philosophy is not dead (you are still able to think for yourself, society has not taken that from us) but the situations and events that you are attempting to discuss are the product of an anxious and worried mind.
Hypotheticals exist in the anxiety inducing quicksand pit that is, what I refer to as, the "What-ifs".
As one with fairly severe anxiety myself, I can completely relate to this land of hypothetical situations. And I too have attempted to rationalize my own fears and worries as a source of my "philosophy" for living. (but are we really?) .

I would say yes we really are! Life is dangerous and nature does not play fair. If we fail to see that she will consume us without even acknowledging we ever existed. But it is about more than that as well. These questions are not about the external alone but also deep dive into the internal. What would you do in these situations? How would you handle them, what morality would you bring to them? And even what is the very nature of “The Self” in the first place. What is it in your unique nature that caused you to conclude the things you did?

This is the singularly unique thing that separates us from other forms of known life, our imagination. More succinctly our ability for self-reflection. We should use it to the fullest of our ability and never rely on the judgement, beliefs of opinions of others alone. Never be afraid to be contrary because only you know and have your best interests in mind and you should never let anyone else tell you that you are wrong in that.

The land of hypotheticals are where we get to explore these things, to get to know who we are and how we behave and more importantly explore why we behave as we do. If we can figure that out, that is the best tool we will ever master to navigate our environment. This can’t be done in a vacuum but through challenge and conflict. These are the means to facilitate our best growth. Get out in the world and live, and ask the hard questions and be prepared to grow.

You bring up a fascinating idea in some of your comments and that is exactly what I am looking for here. I know I word things strongly but there is a design behind that, it’s to get people excited and fired up and emotional and that brings the best challenge. Carlos speaks of greed as the source of all conflict and you have presented here that you feel fear is the source of all conflict and you present cogent arguments to represent your belief in that. I love that. A different opinion. That’s what Im looking for.

I would say that you are both right to some extent. But I also challenge you to look past that fear and see if you find other things that are sources of conflict. Even positive sources. Is all conflict bad? No I would say not and I have my reasons for that, but what do you think?

Athena_Undomiel wrote: I'm sorry that you feel shut down at every turn. I know within my heart of hearts that is not the Temple's goal Kyrin. the Temple does not strive, does not live, to turn others away. If it did then we would be no different than the rest of the "organized religions".
Thank you for your time.

I don’t feel shutdown at every turn actually. In fact there are many many people here that challenge me in the most meaningful and hard hitting ways. Senan for one! He constantly challenges me to be better and I adore him for that. I have learned an incredible amount from him and I continue to learn more every day. I do make mistakes though, just like all of us and I learn a great deal from them. But you can’t learn from them if you’re not brave enough to even put yourself out there with the possibility to fail at something.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317409 by
I have to disagree with one thing Kyrin. Hypothetical situations help show us who we want to be, not who we are. When faced with the same circumstances fresh in the thick of reality I doubt we would be so collected as we are in the simulated scenario.
Hypotheticals can also be a detriment if weighted down with assumptions. We may create and solidify a predisposition to an outcome that effects how we approach something. We must be mindful not to carry those hypotheticals as absolute.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317414 by Athena_Undomiel
You are correct, I allowed my frustration with Arisaig to get the better of me. Please forgive my ego. Mea Culpa
The following user(s) said Thank You: , ,

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #317415 by Proteus
Kyrin, could you give us a more specific example of this echo chamber you speak of? Who here are simply repeating someone else's opinions and being shallow? Could you give us an example of this shallowness so that we know what you mean?

Also, do these people represent the temple in the way that if they think something, then it means that the temple itself as a whole represents it?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Proteus.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi