Philosophy is dead, or, my Jediism is what you need to believe, or else.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317417 by

JLSpinner wrote: I have to disagree with one thing Kyrin. Hypothetical situations help show us who we want to be, not who we are. When faced with the same circumstances fresh in the thick of reality I doubt we would be so collected as we are in the simulated scenario.
Hypotheticals can also be a detriment if weighted down with assumptions. We may create and solidify a predisposition to an outcome that effects how we approach something. We must be mindful not to carry those hypotheticals as absolute.

I could not dissagree with you more on this. Hypotheticals are not about action and they are not about self improvement. They are not about revealing how we act as we do but why we act as we do. That is the question, not what you believe but why you believe it.

An example of this is if I presented you with the scenario that you found out your wife had cheated on you how would you react? You may have a defined idea as to what your reaction would be, such as divorce is the only option. However what happens when that scenario actually manifests? You might behave quite differently. Think it's your fault and go to counciling and reconciliation. So then we have to ask why was your perception of what was going to happen different than the one you actually undertook? It's because you did not have a clear understanding of WHY you believed as you did.

I'll recount a revelation from my own life, at one time I believed sex should be between man and woman only because that was nature right? I had a former mentor shatter that belief with hypotheticals. He said to me its good you believe that but then he asked me why I believed that?

Over the course of several conversations I began to realize I had believed as I did because I had been conditioned to believe that way. The culture I grew up in to the indoctrination from years of the military to the religion I was following at the time. He then asked me to strip that away and find the core of what I truly believed. It changed my worldview forever.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317421 by

Proteus wrote: Kyrin, could you give us a more specific example of this echo chamber you speak of? Who here are simply repeating someone else's opinions and being shallow? Could you give us an example of this shallowness so that we know what you mean?

Also, do these people represent the temple in the way that if they think something, then it means that the temple itself as a whole represents it?

I won't name individuals because I'm not here to call people out but the point of this thread should speak for itself in that regard. I see so many students here doing lessons and those lessons are written only to please the authority here as they see it. There is no independent thought or opinion or exploration outside what they are guided to regurgitate. Those that have come before them don't challenge them in this way either. Instead they coddle them and build safe nests for them to hide in. The problem is the predators are still out there waiting to devour them. They always will be. This temple needs a fiercly independant warrior arm for those willing to take up that challenge.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317424 by Rosalyn J

I see so many students here doing lessons and those lessons are written only to please the authority here as they see it.

What would a lesson NOT written to please authority look like?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
6 years 1 month ago #317425 by Proteus
So, I see the picture you're painting here, but I was just curious about some examples of these lessons, how they are just being regurgitated, and what kind of people here are doing this, so that we can be aware?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317427 by
Hypotheticals are not limited to one intention and to claim so would be foolish.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317428 by

Rosalyn J wrote:

I see so many students here doing lessons and those lessons are written only to please the authority here as they see it.

There are rare examples of that because those conversations are usually censored or locked.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317429 by

JLSp4inner wrote: Hypotheticals are not limited to one intention and to claim so would be foolish.

Exactly. I'm glad we agree!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317431 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote:

There are rare examples of that because those conversations are usually censored or locked.

I think you severely over estimate how often threads are locked and we do even less censorship.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317432 by Rosalyn J

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote:

I'm sorry. If you can link me and show me examples, perhaps I can unlock them.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
6 years 1 month ago #317438 by Tellahane
Sometimes lessons are done whether you like it or not for a reason you don't yet understand, or won't until hindsight. What I don't want to see is this kind of jedi:

https://youtu.be/Uo0KjdDJr1c

I'm not here to have you tell me what Jedi is, I've been through it I know, were here to teach you, while we can learn things from you as well in the process there is many other factors here that we see that you may not just yet and reasons for it. It does not have to always be spelled out for you and in some cases that's intentional because we want you to think about it, we want you to have strong reactions about it for a reason.

I'm really tired of the this temple needs this or that comments from people who do not have a full big picture of things, and are making judgements based on assumptions they believe are facts that aren't true. That is not a Jedi quality, always considering that there may be a perspective or piece if information you don't have is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Athena_Undomiel

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi