About THAT video and what it means to "Build Up"

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279448 by Manu
As a parenthesis, I would like to point out that in my opinion, as well intentioned as it is, trying to advocate for others' safety in this forum is as arrogant as arguing that everyone should be exposed to this content.

I do see your point Tellahane, though. I know you are also looking at things from a more PR point of view.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279454 by

Magnus Staar wrote: As a parenthesis, I would like to point out that in my opinion, as well intentioned as it is, trying to advocate for others' safety in this forum is as arrogant as arguing that everyone should be exposed to this content.

I do see your point Tellahane, though. I know you are also looking at things from a more PR point of view.

Side clarification note: I am not saying everyone should be exposed. I am saying that we should give members in general better credit. Again...if people read my words they will see where I suggested spoiler tags for such content ;) ((Which is exactly what was done after the fact))

This is actually a very good question, it made me pause for a moment, but I think I posted this argument before, irregardless of spoiler tags I still don't think the "open discussions forum" of which I hate that name, was still an appropriate place to post that content, because its not only viewable by guests but its publicly viewable as well, so were not just including those new members we are including those who read the site but haven't registered yet as well. Granted the video content itself is behind spoilers and not visible to that group, the discussion itself is. There are just some topics that are best handled once inside, not out in the open. That is one of the reasons why the topic was moved from open discussions into a different part of the forum.

As far as what I'm trying to argue, even though I think it would fall on deaf ears for reasons that can't be gotten into, if I had proposed a different name for open discussions so its not so widely open, and/or move the open discussions to must at least be registered to view it would be a bit more appropriate. I don't think we should get rid of a widely open discussion area, but I do think it should be seen by those who are ready for a widely open discussion area, as not everyone is. I almost wish that the Jediism discussion and open discussion were reversed in position. So that Jediism is discussed and publicly viewed as a better face for the temple and prospective new members, and that the open discussions are kept for those ready to handle them.

Ahhh back to the true perspective without the stabby. Thank you!

But. I might point out that this thread isn't about that topic :) Not meaning offense but....This is what I mean by "Blowing things out of proportion" You clearly have a passionate agenda, as a result you are amplifying that agenda into a topic that doesn't fit. What you are "Truly Arguing" Is a good thing. And deserves it's own topic. I completely agree that administration can mitigate better how things appear. But that's Administration.....not the video in particular.

But in this thread in particular we are discussing how such exposures should be handled on an educative stand point. What is done is done. You cant change that...so how do you handle it?

As I pointed out with my daughter and her viewing a vampire feeding.....I did not intend or want her to see that. I am usually always careful (Its actually paused right now because my oldest is wanting to brush my hair while I type this :-p ) I can't change the fact that she saw it. Its done. She saw it. So as a parent I have chosen to use it as a "Build up" and "Educative" opportunity to teach her about it. Because I trust her ability to handle it, i give her the credit she deserves to at least understand that there are bad things that happen in the world, and I am building that knowledge up bit by bit when the time presents itself to do so. And the older she gets, the more often I will leave things open for questioning in order to build the level of knowledge and encourage questions.

Just like your Forum Viewing. When you prove yourself ready you kick it up a notch, get invited into higher level categories. you build up.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279457 by
Sorry if this comes off as preachy, but a very important part of my Jedi faith at its core is found in Teaching 9.

9. Jedi have integrity. We are authentic to what we believe and are open, honest and true to our purpose and our minds. We remove all masks to reveal ourselves as courageous and noble of heart. We do not hide from fear of damage to our image because we know that our image cannot be blemished from the words and actions of others.

I don't think we should be hiding any conversations from anyone or attempting to put what we believe is our "best foot forward". I think we should let people see us for who we are and witness the conversations we have, both constructive and destructive. The original post containing the video spawned an important and meaningful conversation that continues even now, and it is an example of the discourse that happens here. It highlights the best of us as we learn from each other and seek a resolution that we can agree on. It highlights the diversity of this community and our willingness to consider opinions that differ from our own. It also highlights how we react to each other when our worst is put on display for others to see. To hide any of these things for fear of offending or traumatizing someone goes against what I stand for as a Jedi.

Now, I'm not saying we should be unfeeling a-holes about it, but using spoiler tags should be more than enough warning for anyone who is worried about such things.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279467 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:
As I pointed out with my daughter and her viewing a vampire feeding.....I did not intend or want her to see that. I am usually always careful (Its actually paused right now because my oldest is wanting to brush my hair while I type this :-p ) I can't change the fact that she saw it. Its done. She saw it. So as a parent I have chosen to use it as a "Build up" and "Educative" opportunity to teach her about it. Because I trust her ability to handle it, i give her the credit she deserves to at least understand that there are bad things that happen in the world, and I am building that knowledge up bit by bit when the time presents itself to do so. And the older she gets, the more often I will leave things open for questioning in order to build the level of knowledge and encourage questions.

Just like your Forum Viewing. When you prove yourself ready you kick it up a notch, get invited into higher level categories. you build up.

Not being stabby but just as a question, if you believed she had the ability to handle it, or trusted her with the ability to handle it, then why did you not intend or want her to see it in the first place? Yes it is one thing if they are already exposed but even you yourself did not want her to see it yet, Why is that reason?

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279469 by Tellahane

Senan wrote: Sorry if this comes off as preachy, but a very important part of my Jedi faith at its core is found in Teaching 9.

9. Jedi have integrity. We are authentic to what we believe and are open, honest and true to our purpose and our minds. We remove all masks to reveal ourselves as courageous and noble of heart. We do not hide from fear of damage to our image because we know that our image cannot be blemished from the words and actions of others.

I don't think we should be hiding any conversations from anyone or attempting to put what we believe is our "best foot forward". I think we should let people see us for who we are and witness the conversations we have, both constructive and destructive. The original post containing the video spawned an important and meaningful conversation that continues even now, and it is an example of the discourse that happens here. It highlights the best of us as we learn from each other and seek a resolution that we can agree on. It highlights the diversity of this community and our willingness to consider opinions that differ from our own. It also highlights how we react to each other when our worst is put on display for others to see. To hide any of these things for fear of offending or traumatizing someone goes against what I stand for as a Jedi.

Now, I'm not saying we should be unfeeling a-holes about it, but using spoiler tags should be more than enough warning for anyone who is worried about such things.

Hiding the forums in general is not where I was intending the idea to go, but by your argument, I then ask why do we have apprenticeship forums only hidden for apprentices and up, why do we have a knighthood forum section only hidden for all of the knights, by your argument every forum in here should be available to at the very least be read only to everyone to better serve "Jedi Integrity" the way you have interpreted it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279475 by

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Not being stabby but just as a question, if you believed she had the ability to handle it, or trusted her with the ability to handle it, then why did you not intend or want her to see it in the first place? Yes it is one thing if they are already exposed but even you yourself did not want her to see it yet, Why is that reason?

1. I'm currently sick with a low grade fever, my motivation to be "Mother of the year" is not as great as other days. I didn't want her sitting on my lap (which would invite her older sister to do the same) and have a cuddle scary vampire party

2. Continued watching of the show will encourage 50 other questions I don't feel like answering right now. Selfish? yea. Guess what. Im sick and grumpy ;) Lets not encourage grumpy mom on innocently curious children that i love.

3. Because even though I am willing to teach the virtues of dealing with scary things. Im not going to go shoving it down their throats and encouraging a consistent dose of it.

I will gladly handle situations and questions when they come up. That dosn't mean they need to be around it as often as I am.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279477 by OB1Shinobi
Tellahane; youre being stabby, lol, dont take it personal
please read and consider

in attempt to direct this discussion in a potentially useful direction, i asked people for input about how to deal with the situation when a kid does see difficult content online

i figured thats the kind of thing that parents and future parents could use, and maybe going over it would be beneficial to someone here

Tris, being a parent, shared some of her experience in order to respond to the question

then you jumped on her in order to make a point about whether the child should have been protected and what we should have done to protect him/her

the question that i asked bypassed that part.. the question was not about how to protect, or how long to protect, but rather how to handle the situation when the inevitable thing happens and the kid sees something that is stressful to them

i respect your willingness to speak your mind and i think we all respect your desire to protect the children -- we just dont all agree with you on how far it should go.
thats something you can choose to accept or choose not to accept, but its pretty much decided at this point and i think most of us would like to move on

iirc you have children? or did i make that up? i seem to remember you mentioning a child at some point but i could be wrong.. what would YOU say to a child who saw such a video and asked you about it?
how would you handle that situation, do you think?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279478 by OB1Shinobi

MartaLina wrote: *unsubscribe* ...:whistle:

:angry: :angry: :angry: (we should have a "broken heart" smiley)

secret? im not subscribed to this topic either lol
i never subscribe to topics, even my own lol, cants stand all those emails :angry:

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279479 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

1. I'm currently sick with a low grade fever, my motivation to be "Mother of the year" is not as great as other days. I didn't want her sitting on my lap (which would invite her older sister to do the same) and have a cuddle scary vampire party

2. Continued watching of the show will encourage 50 other questions I don't feel like answering right now. Selfish? yea. Guess what. Im sick and grumpy ;) Lets not encourage grumpy mom on innocently curious children that i love.

3. Because even though I am willing to teach the virtues of dealing with scary things. Im not going to go shoving it down their throats and encouraging a consistent dose of it.

I will gladly handle situations and questions when they come up. That dosn't mean they need to be around it as often as I am.

^^^ This is what I was looking for.

Also I feel your pain I'm dealing with a bit of a head cold and infection myself.

I think it would be a safe bet to say that if some day your daughter joined totjo at 13(which this is very hypothetical for obvious reasons) your concerns for what she would be subjected to would be important, and more importantly how we respected your concerns for what she is subjected to at that age would be equally important? Hence spoiler tags but spoiler tags are often used to block videos or pictures, not blocks of text content usually, or more so rarely if ever. Is 13 an age where one would feel comfortable reading about some of those heavy dark topics? and if not then what age would you feel differently? though I'm sure that is very subjective on a per individual basis?

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279480 by Tellahane

OB1Shinobi wrote:

MartaLina wrote: *unsubscribe* ...:whistle:

:angry: :angry: :angry: (we should have a "broken heart" smiley)

secret? im not subscribed to this topic either lol
i never subscribe to topics, even my own lol, cants stand all those emails :angry:

I have filtered min eto a folder I just delete, everytime I turn the auto subscribe feature off it finds its way back on somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi