About THAT video and what it means to "Build Up"

More
7 years 1 month ago #278123 by Manu

Zenchi wrote:

Magnus Staar wrote: I remember the horror of entering a Catholic church as a boy, to witness front and center a tortured man, bloody, beaten and nailed to a cross.

You would expect the same in a Jedi church?

What I expect is irrelevant to my point, which is Jesus on the cross is not about gratuitous violence, but the very visceral connection to sacrifice and salvation. The horrible imagery serves a purpose. Likewise here.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #278125 by Tellahane
an Idol as representation from an event is the same as reading it as a text or anything else, its still a very different then then seeing the actual event itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
7 years 1 month ago #278126 by Avalon

an Idol as representation from an event is the same as reading it as a text or anything else, its still a very different then then seeing the actual event itself.

I was going to say the same thing. There's a very drastic difference between a piece of sculptural work and a video recording. Symbolic vs actual event.

Further, there was nothing remotely similar between the sacrifice of Christ and the events of that video. One was, if stories are to be believed, a willing self sacrifice. The other purely some kind of retribution/punishment. The two can't begin to be comparable with one another.

I would have to tend to agree with many of the other sentiments expressed that it was an inappropriate thing to post. It's imagery has no purpose here, at all.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #278131 by
I agree with Manu's first post. I mean come on....Most of you are on facebook and if not you've seen the news. Browsed in Google or Youtube.

I have seen some pretty crazy horrible stuff. Still do. Its everywhere....thinking you can hide from it or judge one man for posting it is just unrealistic. And besides. it is an important learning tool.

Ignorance, Yet Knowledge.

However.

Perhaps next time Ob1 could remember to use the spoiler tags and leave a one of them fancy disclaimers above it ;) You know....for all the squeemish folk around here. Or those under age.

Asides that. What is done is done....move along, move along.

More
7 years 1 month ago #278132 by Amaya
I have to agree with Trisskar and others

The video is reality and no offence but it is also an important reminder that while we celebrate womans day with pictures of fluffy animals others are still dying because they dont have rights. Men and women.

Also churches are filled with stories of violence, mass slaughter and murder. Have you read the bible?

I happen to find the fluffy content here more disturbing

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, ren

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278135 by Zenchi

elizabeth wrote: Also churches are filled with stories of violence, mass slaughter and murder. Have you read the bible?

And you would expect the same of a Jedi church?

I happen to find the fluffy content here more disturbing

Some people get off of violence and gore, shrugs...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #278136 by JamesSand

I mean come on....Most of you are on facebook and if not you've seen the news. Browsed in Google or Youtube.

Nope, nope and nope (also Hyundai, Jif, Hoover and Red Rooster - just want to give a good spread for the brands we're spruiking)

I have not actually seen the video, here or elsewhere, but I know what atrocities look like so I can more or less imagine what it was.

In any case, I'm not sure if the discussion is "Seeing terrible things will melt your eyes and brain" or "is TotJO the place to be confronted with these things"

There's many good points being made all over the place, but I think it's across a few different games.

Also churches are filled with stories of violence, mass slaughter and murder. Have you read the bible?

Erh, yes...but I don't see how that's relevant?
My pool is full of water, but I don't see it as a particularly good design feature for my lounge room.

We can get tied up in semantics, but I suspect the purpose and philosophy of TotJO differs enough from that of whatever vague example of a "church" you are invoking that the comparison is moot.

Edit: :) :] :P {¬_¬}

Some smileys so I don't seem so serious ^_^
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by JamesSand. Reason: Why not?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi

More
7 years 1 month ago #278137 by Amaya
Whow people really need a sense of humour here..

Everything is belief

More
7 years 1 month ago #278138 by Kohadre

elizabeth wrote: Whow people really need a sense of humour here..

Yeah, it's not like there's anything to loose our heads over....:dry:

So long and thanks for all the fish

More
7 years 1 month ago #278139 by JamesSand
Ooh, that smarts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi