About THAT video and what it means to "Build Up"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279323 by
Tella said

so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.[/quote

Awesome , so when exactly do we start boycotting or even invading countries where humans are being treated like shit , when do we actually say , enough is enough , when i see how animals are treated and people are outraged that dogs are being eaten while the pig on their plate has suffered just as much i am baffled by their ignorance and apathy.

Enough is indeed enough....

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279325 by Tellahane

MartaLina wrote: Tella said

so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.[/quote

Awesome , so when exactly do we start boycotting or even invading countries where humans are being treated like shit , when do we actually say , enough is enough , when i see how animals are treated and people are outraged that dogs are being eaten while the pig on their plate has suffered just as much i am baffled by their ignorance and apathy.

Again, see the reply I asked to get a response on

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279338 by Manu

Tellahane wrote:

so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279343 by OB1Shinobi
now i remember why i let this post go lol just remember that you wanted a response

Tellahane wrote: I find it interesting what people choose to do in the name of awareness...

you find it interesting, or you turn your nose up at it as if youre somehow superior?

Tellahane wrote: bring awareness to this problem, bring awareness to that problem, bring awareness to problems on the other side of the planet to this side where they may or may not even exist...

lol, thats called "talking about stuff," and its kind of what we do on the internets
even without the internet, "talking about stuff" is integral to human behavior and is not going away in our lifetimes, so it would be useful for you to conceptualize it and understand it and think of it in a way that doesnt foster resentment, or smug, self righteous judgment towards those who do it

Tellahane wrote: What is interesting about it is two points.

The first being the huge drive for this awareness about how important it is, how crucial it is, how much of a change needs to happen, but the first time you ask that same person what they are going to do about it, all they seem to care about is bringing awareness....but they refuse to do anything to actually solve the problem.

youre being disingenuous (and frankly, a little bit snotty) here bud. you dont have any way to know who has done what, or refused to do what, or who would be willing to do what if they knew what they could do. sometimes the only thing a person can do is talk. youre perfectly free to sit up on your high horse and judge them for that if you want but it doesnt make you any better

Tellahane wrote: Look at the thousands of protesters demanding we(as in the united states) bring in refugee's...but I haven't been able to find one of them that has willingly said they would take one into their home.

im extremely skeptical of the suggestion that youve really made a serious effort to find one. im sure that you have other things to do,
but even if you had made the effort it wouldnt prove that there werent people out there willing to do so, it would only prove that you hadnt found them yet.

and why would you think that a person is only entitled to believe that their country should welcome immigrants if that person is willing to take a total stranger into their own home?
im not sure i can articulate all the reasons why this kind of thinking is absurd so let me simplify it by just saying thats an absurd proposition

people in a democratic society have not only the right, but arguably even the civil responsibility to inform themselves of the various issues of their nations (and also the issues of world at large, of which their nation is a part) to form opinions on those issues and to discuss their opinions with each other. thats how culture evolves, how policies are decided and how decisions get made.

discussing things can help to make people smarter. at least it can help them learn how improve their analytical abilities, so its something we should encourage for its own sake. exploring ideas and topics is the process by which people learn how to judge issues and make informed decisions, and its mind boggling to me that you seem to think its your place to decide what anyone else should or shouldnt be allowed to discuss. THANK GOD youre not the boss of the internet lol

as for protesters; like it or not protesting is an important part of our civil and political process. first of all, if you dont let people voice their concerns they become violent, would you rather that?

next, often people feel that they are alone in their opinions and are afraid to speak out, but when enough people get together to protest on an issue it shows that we arent alone, that others feel this way, and that maybe what we have to say is important enough that it should be heard.

finally, protests are a part of our cultural identity and they serve a number of important purposes, and have helped to achieve many important historical breakthroughs

you could google Ghandi or Dr Martin Luther King Jr for further reading

its not a sign of your superior moral clarity that you disparage protests, its a sign of your lack of appreciation of how democracy works

protesting is part of how rights, issues, and ideas are changed over time. you dont have to agree with any particular demonstation or demonstrator but the right to demonstrate is fundamental to a free society

Tellahane wrote: There's plenty of videos out there to that prove that already. Awareness...yeah it starts there, but if that's all you do, if that's all you leave it at, then your failing just as much as anyone who isn't aware. In fact I would say your failing more because you are aware in the first place.

youre just being judgmental again. its good to learn about the things that are happening in the world. if all you can do is learn about them and talk about them then thats ok. if peeople dont like that you talk about the things thta you want to talk about then do what i do, tell them that you are free to talk about whatever you want to talk about and they are free to go to hell.

Tellahane wrote: The second being failing to understand yours, and even our limitations. Let's bring awareness to the fact the sun will eventually change states in a few million years and engulf the earth within its celestial body and turn it into a liquid molten gaseous state, killing everything still living off of it. Why isn't that a thing? probably because there's nothing we can do about it currently.

it is a thing actually, and ive talked about it myself and still do sometimes. basically, unless we can get off planet in a sustainable way we are doomed to extinction eventually.
but the problem is so far off that its much less of a thing than, say, immigration.

Tellahane wrote: So we can bring up a large debate about whether we can do something about the way women are treated in another country, but at the same time that is all based off of their own religious belief system a well. How would we feel if someone came over into jediism and told us we were so completely wrong and we need to be put down.

i dont know what you mean when you say "need to be put down" but look, im telling you that youre wrong about your views on what people have a right to talk about, do you not think i would tell you you were wrong if you were advocating that we should be chopping off peoples heads?
if totjo were in the head chopping business i very well would be grateful for some feedback that maybe we should expand our horizons and learn some new strategies for resolving our disagreements

even as it stands i happen to be the one to say "yeah tell us where we could do better" because id rather continue to improve even if that requires criticism

i mean really, who cares how we would feel? thats pat of my point here, our feelings really arent that damn important lol believe it or not, we can survive uncomfortable feelings. and if what we learn during the discomfort results in us being stronger or more capable, then its worth it. growth tends to be uncomfortable, so a good clue that youre stagnating is that things have been comfortable for a while

Tellahane wrote: Now I'm not saying that what is happening over there is appropriate, based off my beliefs its not, not in anyway shape or form. But we need to understand our limitations as well. We simply can't go over there and change things the way we feel they should be done. It's not possible in the way things are setup today. The best we can do is offer amnesty to those who want to leave that area, which is something we do already do, and its something many countries do. Until something significantly larger then our group alone is capable of doing changes then its going to just have to remain the status quo where we can only do what we can do.

the responses i have to the claims of this paragraph are not relevant to this discussion. moving on

Tellahane wrote: There is a third point I do try and remind people, is all the crap you ignore in your own societies and even in my own society where we live. I have a small town of only 5000 people or so, maybe 10000 in the entire county I serve, and there are homeless people here, vets and otherwise. My county is not in a state to deal with things outside of itself, I have to help fix what's here first, long before I can step out and help anyone else.

i feel like this is also irrelevant but i would mention that different people feel drawn to different issue. some might respond to homelessness while others might more strongly about public schools, some might care about art museums and others might focus on renewable energy

theyre all good, and (again) its absolutely not your place to decide what is appropriate for any particular individual to care about, or to talk about

Tellahane wrote: Awareness...good to know, but everything starts at your self, and works its way out, be aware of all the short comings around you and deal with that first, before you can go and deal with something else.

lol - YOURE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!

Tellahane wrote:
P.S. There are ways to bring awareness without graphic examples as well, I did find that distasteful....

FINALLY lol
jesus it took you forever to just say whats really going on.
the real issue here is that you found the video distasteful. it bothered you. you were offended. you dont want graphic content to be posted at totjo.

you pretty consistently argue in favor of what i think of as padded walls and kid gloves in regards to what people should be allowed to say here. you seem to think that people here are fragile, and that their fragility should be encouraged and protected.
i dont think people here are fragile for the most part, and i definitely am not going to contribute to the idea that the weak little eggshells need to be guarded from danger and discomfort

it seems like you want to protect the children; i think thats sweet, but i also think that this isnt a day care.

as for actual policy/rule implementation, it was established waaaaaaaaaaaaayy back that i should have put a disclaimer on the video.
its also been established that Jedi are expected to be adults who can handle difficult topics.
im not sure what else we have to say.

=======

Tellahane wrote: Well then I think it comes down to context of how that conversation is portrayed, if you want to discuss the concepts of other religious beliefs then sure I agree, but if your post is entitled and for the purpose of bringing awareness to something that is going on that needs changed, that is more often then not even in the internet in general, with the intent that there is a serious problem that needs dealt with, so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

this wasnt expressed very clearly so i have to respond to what i think youre saying.

it looks like youve identified something that you think is a bit of a problem
-people talking about issues that they arent doing anything to change, other than talking about them, or bringing awareness to issues but not doing anything more than bringing awareness to them

and it looks like youre bringing awareness to this problem by talking about it in an open forum

now let me ask your question back to you, besides talking about this issue, what are you, Tellahane, doing to change it?

have you written to your congressman about this problem?
have you maybe registered yourself as a political action campaign or put together a not-for-profit research center?
do you have a hotline where people can call in to complain about the abundance of complaints on the internet? are you even allowed to mention this problem if youre not hitting the streets with a petition to have the laws changed or something?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279344 by Amaya

Magnus Staar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Maybe we start small with our surrounding community
And there are petitions, changes we can join to bring issues to government levels.
Whatever you want to change, it starts with sometimes just bringing issues out in the open where others can discuss and see change is needed...

Plus... don't diss the english... you know you need us :)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279349 by Tellahane
Ok! Here we go!(in a mario voice)

OB1Shinobi wrote: now i remember why i let this post go lol just remember that you wanted a response

Tellahane wrote: I find it interesting what people choose to do in the name of awareness....

you find it interesting, or you turn your nose up at it as if youre somehow superior?

I fail to see where any part of that states that I am somehow superior?

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote: bring awareness to this problem, bring awareness to that problem, bring awareness to problems on the other side of the planet to this side where they may or may not even exist...

lol, thats called "talking about stuff," and its kind of what we do on the internets
even without the internet, "talking about stuff" is integral to human behavior and is not going away in our lifetimes, so it would be useful for you to conceptualize it and understand it and think of it in a way that doesnt foster resentment, or smug, self righteous judgment towards those who do it

You and I have 2 different points of views and I think that is where all the conflicting is generated from. You see bringing awareness as discussion, I see it as people insisting a problem exists and that someone else should take care of it not them, when they are the ones claiming the problem exists.

It's like saying My foot itches REALLY BADLY...I need to let everyone know so they can come scratch my foot for me, because I don't want to do it, and thats even though the person's foot does actually itch, I'm not saying there isn't validity in awareness, just laziness to a degree.

Also why I stated in another post, discussion vs awareness is 2 different things, if your going to preface as one and aim for the other it can be confusing.

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote: What is interesting about it is two points.

The first being the huge drive for this awareness about how important it is, how crucial it is, how much of a change needs to happen, but the first time you ask that same person what they are going to do about it, all they seem to care about is bringing awareness....but they refuse to do anything to actually solve the problem.

youre being disingenuous (and frankly, a little bit snotty) here bud. you dont have any way to know who has done what, or refused to do what, or who would be willing to do what if they knew what they could do. sometimes the only thing a person can do is talk. youre perfectly free to sit up on your high horse and judge them for that if you want but it doesnt make you any better

This is probably true, but also keep in mind what I have to work with is the experiences of whom I do interact with in my society where I am at, and what I know people have and have not done near me. While I can't say that for 100% of everyone else I can say that if even one person does it, there are likely more, I can't remember where this quote came from "where there is one, there is always potential for many". As far as the only thing someone can do is talk....I don't believe that personally. Unless your a quadriplegic or have some other medical condition that would prevent acting, I don't believe that at all. Maybe one is not willing to deal with the consequences or sacrifices of acting on any given situation, but everyone is very capable of acting.

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote: Look at the thousands of protesters demanding we(as in the united states) bring in refugee's...but I haven't been able to find one of them that has willingly said they would take one into their home.

im extremely skeptical of the suggestion that youve really made a serious effort to find one. im sure that you have other things to do,
but even if you had made the effort it wouldnt prove that there werent people out there willing to do so, it would only prove that you hadnt found them yet.

valid point

OB1Shinobi wrote:
and why would you think that a person is only entitled to believe that their country should welcome immigrants if that person is willing to take a total stranger into their own home?
im not sure i can articulate all the reasons why this kind of thinking is absurd so let me simplify it by just saying thats an absurd proposition

So where should they live ob1? Who will provide them food, shelter, water, who will cover the cost of bringing those things, where physically will they go, whose land will have to be confuscated or taken away against there will for that to happen?

I have had this discussion here in my own community, when it comes to disaster planning but also dealing with various recent situations with immigrations and refugee spikes and such here in my area and its amazing how quickly when the discussion comes down to who is going to pay for this, and who is going to give up xyz land or so forth to handle these issues how quickly everyone closes their wallets and purses and raises there noses. If one is not willing to take care of another it seems silly to me beg someone else to do it because you feel bad about the situation. Most of the time due to people and their attachments to things.

OB1Shinobi wrote:
people in a democratic society have not only the right, but arguably even the civil responsibility to inform themselves of the various issues of their nations (and also the issues of world at large, of which their nation is a part) to form opinions on those issues and to discuss their opinions with each other. thats how culture evolves, how policies are decided and how decisions get made.

absolutely they do.

OB1Shinobi wrote:
discussing things, generally speaking, is also an activity that can help to make people smarter, or at least to help them learn how improve their analytical abilities, so its something we should encourage for its own sake. exploring ideas and topics is theprocess by which people learn how to judge issues and make decisions, and its mind boggling to me that you seem to think its your place to decide what anyone else should or shouldnt be allowed to discuss. THANK GOD youre not the boss of the internet lol

Again I fail to see anywhere where I say it's my place to decide anything about what can or can't be discussed, referring also back to the above comment relating to "bringing awareness" and "discussion".

OB1Shinobi wrote:
as for protesters; like it or not protesting is an important part of our civil and political process. first of all, if you dont let people voice their concerns they become violent, would you rather that?

next, often people feel that they are alone in their opinions and are afraid to speak out, but when enough people get together to protest on an issue it shows that we arent alone, that others feel this way, and that maybe what we have to say is important enough that it should be heard.
finally, protests are a part of our cultural identity and they serve a number of important purposes, and have helped to achieve many important historical breakthroughs

you could google Ghandi or Dr Martin Luther King Jr for further reading

its not a sign of your superior moral clarity that you disparage protests, its a sign of your lack of appreciation of how democracy works, and how rights and issues change over time within a democracy

Not all people who don't voice their concerns become violent, I'm not going to guess a ratio but it's definitely not all.

Let's use a perfectly good example here, african american rights, people protested that because THEY WANTED IT TO CHANGE, and they made efforts themselves to change it, they didn't sit there and go someone over in some other country go change this for us, they we're already here and served the process they have the right to serve HERE or in their country where it is their issues and their problems.

But those rights didn't really impact everyone on an individual basis other then a certain amount of respect, and for people of the african american community the right to do all the same things as everyone else.

Most importantly the people(the majority considering it passed), wanted this change, wanted to share, wanted to act in that respect. It's very different from those who protest and then go.."no not me I just want someone else to deal with it, keep that away from me." That is disingenuous...

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote: There's plenty of videos out there to that prove that already. Awareness...yeah it starts there, but if that's all you do, if that's all you leave it at, then your failing just as much as anyone who isn't aware. In fact I would say your failing more because you are aware in the first place.

youre just being judgmental again. its good to learn about the things that are happening in the world. if all you can do is learn about them and talk about them then thats ok. if peeople dont like that you talk about the things thta you want to talk about then do what i do, tell them that you are free to talk about whatever you want to talk about and they are free to go to hell.

Again difference from discussion and bringing awareness, and there really isn't much out there that isn't googlable or researchable that has to require someone to do a big fancy thing to bring "awareness" if you really wanted to learn. I've said it before I'm not against discussion.

OB1Shinobi wrote: "irrelevant to discussion comments"

Tellahane wrote: There is a third point I do try and remind people, is all the crap you ignore in your own societies and even in my own society where we live. I have a small town of only 5000 people or so, maybe 10000 in the entire county I serve, and there are homeless people here, vets and otherwise. My county is not in a state to deal with things outside of itself, I have to help fix what's here first, long before I can step out and help anyone else.

i feel like this is also irrelevant but i would mention that different people feel drawn to different issue. some might respond to homelessness while others might more strongly about public schools, some might care about art museums and others might focus on renewable energy

theyre all good, and (again) its absolutely not your place to decide what is appropriate for any particular individual to care about, or to talk about

Again difference between discussion and the bringing awareness, all of my points are pointing out how hypocratic people can be in the push for change but not willing to actually change or participate other then to beg for someone else to do it. I'll relate it to something that will likely see me some serious backlash. For me being a non god believe, and in my personal view and opinion as a disclaimer, I feel like there is a fault if you pray for someone who is having problems providing food for their families instead of actually helping provide food yourself for those families. So when I Talk about the people who bring awareness, I'm referring to those who just talk, but don't want to lift a finger, and a very capable finger at that, to actually walk the walk. Of which whom I'm exposed to in that category is about 95% of the people I've come across who "bring awareness" So you gotta understand that from my perspective its a very prominent thing.

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote:
P.S. There are ways to bring awareness without graphic examples as well, I did find that distasteful....

FINALLY lol
jesus it took you forever to just say whats really going on.
the real issue here is that you found the video distasteful. it bothered you. you were offended. you dont want graphic content to be posted at totjo.

you pretty consistently argue in favor of what i think of as padded walls and kid gloves in regards to what people should be allowed to say here. you seem to think that people here are fragile, and that their fragility should be encouraged and protected.
i dont think people here are fragile for the most part, and i definitely am not going to contribute to the idea that the weak little eggshells need to be guarded from danger and discomfort

it seems like you want to protect the children; i think thats sweet, but i also think that this isnt a day care.

as for actual policy/rule implementation, it was established waaaaaaaaaaaaayy back that i should have put a disclaimer on the video.
its also been established that Jedi are expected to be adults who can handle difficult topics.
im not sure what else we have to say.

=======

My argument has little to do with the video, I think you are taking that a bit personally to assume this whole post is about that, I do think there is a time and place for knowledge, you don't learn quantum physics before you learn some math first, and as far as here at the temple we don't need to go into some of the advanced topics in some of the first accessible forums until some of the minors have learned some of the basics of how to handle those topics, but again personal opinion, and not the only one who thinks that way here either. Quite a few behind the door discussions went on about that, I was just the most vocal one.

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Tellahane wrote: Well then I think it comes down to context of how that conversation is portrayed, if you want to discuss the concepts of other religious beliefs then sure I agree, but if your post is entitled and for the purpose of bringing awareness to something that is going on that needs changed, that is more often then not even in the internet in general, with the intent that there is a serious problem that needs dealt with, so my issue is only in the area of people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

this wasnt expressed very clearly so i have to respond to what i think youre saying.

it looks like youve identified something that you think is a bit of a problem
-people talking about issues that they arent doing anything to change, other than talking about them, or bringing awareness to issues but not doing anything more than bringing awareness to them

and it looks like youre bringing awareness to this problem by talking about it in an open forum

now let me ask your question back to you, besides talking about this issue, what are you, Tellahane, doing to change it?

I spend 132 hours a week providing better health care then the previous people that came before me for my community, I also donate money and food to the local charities, and spend time volunteering for both storm spotting and search and rescue in area's that are very deficient. There are many area's here that need improvement before I go around the world. As far as the issue you might specifically be asking me in terms of talking instead of walking, well we are having a discussion aren't we, because there isn't anything physically to do to change other then the physical aspect of typing and making sounds with my mouth. I have confronted protesters here in my town on the very refugee issue if that counts in your book. Majority didn't want to take in any refugees but I did get one to give a 50 dollar donation to the local missions group who helps provide for the homeless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279384 by OB1Shinobi
so, heres a new direction, for Tellahane or for anyone else who may be interested..

lets imagine that youre a parent and your kid saw this or a similar video and now they are bothered by it

for the sake of argument, lets say that your kid is fairly tough at heart and you have a good relationship, but this is the first time he or she has seen something like this and now you have to help them to understand how to process it

what do you say to them?
a lot of you are parents and have had some version of this conversatiopn with your kids already, what did you say?

some are parents who will have to have this conversation eventually, what do you think you might say to them?

even if you dont know the exact words, what ideas do you think might be useful?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279389 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: so, heres a new direction, for Tellahane or for anyone else who may be interested..

lets imagine that youre a parent and your kid saw this or a similar video and now they are bothered by it

for the sake of argument, lets say that your kid is fairly tough at heart and you have a good relationship, but this is the first time he or she has seen something like this and now you have to help them to understand how to process it

what do you say to them?

Today, My daughter (5 years old) was watching Vampire Diaries with me. I didn't realize she was standing behind me you see....I generally watch it while they are playing but she gets curious....usually I will pause....pay attention to her, play, answer questions or whatever....but today she managed to show up right when one of the vampires went for someones throat, blood everywhere, screaming, struggling, observers screaming....pretty gruesome.

She asked why that bad man was hurting the other one and why there was blood.

I told her the truth.

"That bad man is a vampire. He drinks peoples blood and isn't being very nice."

"Bad man is very bad..."

"Yes hunny, he is being a very bad man."

See. I don't believe in hiding the truth from my children no matter what their age is. Sometimes my younger daughter (the five year old) Will fixate on scary things and it will get brought up a couple times. And each time I answer the same way. With the truth. Always the same. No derail or fogging it up with details or lack there of. After a couple of repetitive attempts to understand she goes back to playing and that's the end of it. She deserves the truth from her mother. And I will give it.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279394 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: so, heres a new direction, for Tellahane or for anyone else who may be interested..

what do you say to them?

Today, My daughter (5 years old) was watching Vampire Diaries with me. I didn't realize she was standing behind me you see....I generally watch it while they are playing but she gets curious....usually I will pause....pay attention to her, play, answer questions or whatever....but today she managed to show up right when one of the vampires went for someones throat, blood everywhere, screaming, struggling, observers screaming....pretty gruesome.

I told her the truth.

"Bad man is very bad..."

See. I don't believe in hiding the truth from my children no matter what their age is. Sometimes my younger daughter (the five year old) Will fixate on scary things and it will get brought up a couple times. And each time I answer the same way. With the truth. Always the same. No derail or fogging it up with details or lack there of. After a couple of repetitive attempts to understand she goes back to playing and that's the end of it. She deserves the truth from her mother. And I will give it.

Yeah but you also didn't give the full picture either, you didn't discuss why the vampire drinks blood, or the fact that he needs it to survive and live. You didn't cover the fact that vampires can drink blood without killing someone if they desired, or the experience of what it would be like to be subjected to a vicious attack as opposed to something more pleasant such as in some scenes of true blood.

It's kind of like telling a 5 year old, god is great, but not really explaining why, or going into the bible in depth. Your only really still teaching them algebra, your not covering the quantom physics side of it, why? Why not cover all of the details and possibilities of that scenario to your children? It's not about hiding the truth its pointing out that we only give the knowledge that they can handle right?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279395 by

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

what do you say to them?

I told her the truth.

"Bad man is very bad..."

Yeah but you also didn't give the full picture either, you didn't discuss why the vampire drinks blood, or the fact that he needs it to survive and live. You didn't cover the fact that vampires can drink blood without killing someone if they desired, or the experience of what it would be like to be subjected to a vicious attack as opposed to something more pleasant such as in some scenes of true blood.

It's kind of like telling a 5 year old, god is great, but not really explaining why, or going into the bible in depth. Your only really still teaching them algebra, your not covering the quantom physics side of it, why? Why not cover all of the details and possibilities of that scenario to your children? It's not about hiding the truth its pointing out that we only give the knowledge that they can handle right?

Do you have kids?

I only ask because I wonder what makes you think a five year old understands the "Quantom Physics" of.....Anything. haha

Five year old's need things explained in short, quick, easy to grasp ideas. Going on and on about the theories of vampire mythology is only going to A: Lose her interest and B: miss the point.

You didn't learn algebra at 5 years old. Did you? My guess is you learned what she is learning right now....how to count on fingers 1 through 10 and taking 5 fingers away.

Teaching is about knowing your audiance and their level of understanding. And when she gets to be older, i will deepen the depths of knowledge given. But at 5 years old. Yea. I only gave her the ABC's of the very bad vampire on mommies computer screen.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi