About THAT video and what it means to "Build Up"

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279397 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: so, heres a new direction, for Tellahane or for anyone else who may be interested..

lets imagine that youre a parent and your kid saw this or a similar video and now they are bothered by it

for the sake of argument, lets say that your kid is fairly tough at heart and you have a good relationship, but this is the first time he or she has seen something like this and now you have to help them to understand how to process it

what do you say to them?

Today, My daughter (5 years old) was watching Vampire Diaries with me. I didn't realize she was standing behind me you see....I generally watch it while they are playing but she gets curious....usually I will pause....pay attention to her, play, answer questions or whatever....but today she managed to show up right when one of the vampires went for someones throat, blood everywhere, screaming, struggling, observers screaming....pretty gruesome.

She asked why that bad man was hurting the other one and why there was blood.

I told her the truth.

"That bad man is a vampire. He drinks peoples blood and isn't being very nice."

"Bad man is very bad..."

"Yes hunny, he is being a very bad man."

See. I don't believe in hiding the truth from my children no matter what their age is. Sometimes my younger daughter (the five year old) Will fixate on scary things and it will get brought up a couple times. And each time I answer the same way. With the truth. Always the same. No derail or fogging it up with details or lack there of. After a couple of repetitive attempts to understand she goes back to playing and that's the end of it. She deserves the truth from her mother. And I will give it.

Yeah but you also didn't give the full picture either, you didn't discuss why the vampire drinks blood, or the fact that he needs it to survive and live. You didn't cover the fact that vampires can drink blood without killing someone if they desired, or the experience of what it would be like to be subjected to a vicious attack as opposed to something more pleasant such as in some scenes of true blood.

It's kind of like telling a 5 year old, god is great, but not really explaining why, or going into the bible in depth. Your only really still teaching them algebra, your not covering the quantom physics side of it, why? Why not cover all of the details and possibilities of that scenario to your children? It's not about hiding the truth its pointing out that we only give the knowledge that they can handle right?

Do you have kids?

I only ask because I wonder what makes you think a five year old understands the "Quantom Physics" of.....Anything. haha

Five year old's need things explained in short, quick, easy to grasp ideas. Going on and on about the theories of vampire mythology is only going to A: Lose her interest and B: miss the point.

You didn't learn algebra at 5 years old. Did you? My guess is you learned what she is learning right now....how to count on fingers 1 through 10 and taking 5 fingers away.

Teaching is about knowing your audiance and their level of understanding. And when she gets to be older, i will deepen the depths of knowledge given. But at 5 years old. Yea. I only gave her the ABC's of the very bad vampire on mommies computer screen.

Metaphors people metaphors! Also my point exactly on your audience portion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279426 by

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: so, heres a new direction, for Tellahane or for anyone else who may be interested..

lets imagine that youre a parent and your kid saw this or a similar video and now they are bothered by it

for the sake of argument, lets say that your kid is fairly tough at heart and you have a good relationship, but this is the first time he or she has seen something like this and now you have to help them to understand how to process it

what do you say to them?

Today, My daughter (5 years old) was watching Vampire Diaries with me. I didn't realize she was standing behind me you see....I generally watch it while they are playing but she gets curious....usually I will pause....pay attention to her, play, answer questions or whatever....but today she managed to show up right when one of the vampires went for someones throat, blood everywhere, screaming, struggling, observers screaming....pretty gruesome.

She asked why that bad man was hurting the other one and why there was blood.

I told her the truth.

"That bad man is a vampire. He drinks peoples blood and isn't being very nice."

"Bad man is very bad..."

"Yes hunny, he is being a very bad man."

See. I don't believe in hiding the truth from my children no matter what their age is. Sometimes my younger daughter (the five year old) Will fixate on scary things and it will get brought up a couple times. And each time I answer the same way. With the truth. Always the same. No derail or fogging it up with details or lack there of. After a couple of repetitive attempts to understand she goes back to playing and that's the end of it. She deserves the truth from her mother. And I will give it.

Yeah but you also didn't give the full picture either, you didn't discuss why the vampire drinks blood, or the fact that he needs it to survive and live. You didn't cover the fact that vampires can drink blood without killing someone if they desired, or the experience of what it would be like to be subjected to a vicious attack as opposed to something more pleasant such as in some scenes of true blood.

It's kind of like telling a 5 year old, god is great, but not really explaining why, or going into the bible in depth. Your only really still teaching them algebra, your not covering the quantom physics side of it, why? Why not cover all of the details and possibilities of that scenario to your children? It's not about hiding the truth its pointing out that we only give the knowledge that they can handle right?

Do you have kids?

I only ask because I wonder what makes you think a five year old understands the "Quantom Physics" of.....Anything. haha

Five year old's need things explained in short, quick, easy to grasp ideas. Going on and on about the theories of vampire mythology is only going to A: Lose her interest and B: miss the point.

You didn't learn algebra at 5 years old. Did you? My guess is you learned what she is learning right now....how to count on fingers 1 through 10 and taking 5 fingers away.

Teaching is about knowing your audiance and their level of understanding. And when she gets to be older, i will deepen the depths of knowledge given. But at 5 years old. Yea. I only gave her the ABC's of the very bad vampire on mommies computer screen.

Metaphors people metaphors! Also my point exactly on your audience portion.

Except that your metaphors are highly inappropriate. Your Metaphor is comparing a kindergartner to a college master dagree. like seriously.....if you want to use Metaphors at least get it in the same class room ;)

And yes. Know your audience - Last I checked the audience here at the temple are members over 13 (as is legally required for minors on forums) and a bunch of self enlightened Jedi ....... Not a bunch of pansy's ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279431 by
*unsubscribe* ...:whistle:

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279432 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote: And yes. Know your audience - Last I checked the audience here at the temple are members over 13 (as is legally required for minors on forums) and a bunch of self enlightened Jedi ....... Not a bunch of pansy's ;)

WOW so all i have to do is register a guest account and I'm magically a self enlightened jedi automatically! who needs the IP and apprenticeship program and all that? sounds pointless by your description!
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Tellahane.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279433 by
Yes.

The IP and Apprenticeship is NOT....I repeat....NOT....required to be a Jedi. And yea. They can be pointless if that is how you choose to view them. Everyone knows how I feel about the IP ;) And TOTJO is not the only place to become a Jedi. ((All of which has nothing to do with the topic i might add lol ))

So. Lets x out all the established members here

And all the curious other Jedi from other groups that peek in from time to time

And all the "Over 21" aged people

and all the tougher stomached people

which leaves us with what.....? A very very small handful of members who legitimately can't handle videos like the one posted. And Tip. You don't even know who those people are.

As i stated a couple times before. Use the spoilers tags. Be considerate. But at the same time don't discredit the masses you are preaching too, the majority of member here has forgotten about this whole topic and moved on in their lives with very little care. We are all capable of handling situations including videos of be headings with a bit more class than is given credit. Have a little more faith in your fellow members - new and old.

Thats all i got to say on this :) Have a great evening!

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279437 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote: Yes.

The IP and Apprenticeship is NOT....I repeat....NOT....required to be a Jedi. And yea. They can be pointless if that is how you choose to view them. Everyone knows how I feel about the IP ;) And TOTJO is not the only place to become a Jedi. ((All of which has nothing to do with the topic i might add lol ))

I never said it was the only place and I'm well aware of people from other communties, I've actually setup some accounts and to some degree keep track of outside opinions of totjo and how people are in multiple communities, also how some people are very two-faced as well. But not every "member" or "guest" is in another community either, which you point out next so we agree to some degree there:

Trisskar wrote: So. Lets x out all the established members here

And all the curious other Jedi from other groups that peek in from time to time

And all the "Over 21" aged people

and all the tougher stomached people

which leaves us with what.....? A very very small handful of members who legitimately can't handle videos like the one posted. And Tip. You don't even know who those people are.

Being apart of the welcoming team and sending out private messages and responding back to answering questions I actually do know who some of these people are.

Trisskar wrote: As i stated a couple times before. Use the spoilers tags. Be considerate. But at the same time don't discredit the masses you are preaching too, the majority of member here has forgotten about this whole topic and moved on in their lives with very little care. We are all capable of handling situations including videos of be headings with a bit more class than is given credit. Have a little more faith in your fellow members - new and old.

Yes because theres only a "few" in your mind that belong to that category screw them, lets not be considerate of anyone. How many does it take before one should be considerate? 2? 5? 20? 50?

I know its kind of out of context but this situation applies in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEJoNyDDgw

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279439 by

Tellahane wrote: I never said it was the only place and I'm well aware of people from other communties, I've actually setup some accounts and to some degree keep track of outside opinions of totjo and how people are in multiple communities, also how some people are very two-faced as well.

And yet you brought up the IP and Apprenticeship as if it was the only "Meaning" of being Jedi. As I said. No credit to this conversation.

Being apart of the welcoming team and sending out private messages and responding back to answering questions I actually do know who some of these people are.

Oh really? You think saying hello and answering administrative questions gives you the in's and out's of these members personal backstories, emotions, feelings, and ideals? Takes more than that to know someone Tell.

Trisskar wrote: As i stated a couple times before. Use the spoilers tags. Be considerate. But at the same time don't discredit the masses you are preaching too, the majority of member here has forgotten about this whole topic and moved on in their lives with very little care. We are all capable of handling situations including videos of be headings with a bit more class than is given credit. Have a little more faith in your fellow members - new and old.

Yes because theres only a "few" in your mind that belong to that category screw them, lets not be considerate of anyone. How many does it take before one should be considerate? 2? 5? 20? 50?

I think you might want to re-read my portion here. You know...in case you missed something ;) Coz I really think you did.

of course....I also think your being stabby because you like being stabby lol
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by .

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279441 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote: I never said it was the only place and I'm well aware of people from other communties, I've actually setup some accounts and to some degree keep track of outside opinions of totjo and how people are in multiple communities, also how some people are very two-faced as well.

And yet you brought up the IP and Apprenticeship as if it was the only "Meaning" of being Jedi. As I said. No credit to this conversation.

Oh really? You think saying hello and answering administrative questions gives you the in's and out's of these members personal backstories, emotions, feelings, and ideals? Takes more than that to know someone Tell.

I can't speak on behalf of other members in the welcome team but my conversations do go a lot further then just answering administrative questions. I do what I can to guide people on how to get started on the path, not just here is where the bathrooms are, and yes that sometimes includes some backstory and actual discussions with members. I feel that kind of personal interaction is important when greeting and guiding people to begin their journey's.So yes I do get to actually know some of these people.

Trisskar wrote:

[Yes because theres only a "few" in your mind that belong to that category screw them, lets not be considerate of anyone. How many does it take before one should be considerate? 2? 5? 20? 50?

I think you might want to re-read my portion here. You know...in case you missed something ;) Coz I really think you did.

of course....I also think your being stabby because you like being stabby lol[/quote]

It's part of my job here outside of totjo to advocate for those who may not be able to, I'm not sure if that will ever change ;)
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Tellahane.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279445 by

Tellahane wrote:
It's part of my job here outside of totjo to advocate for those who may not be able to, I'm not sure if that will ever change ;)

And yet you are not advocating on behalf of new members. Your being stabby. And blowing things out of proportion. A solution has already been found and implemented. So what are you actually trying to argue?

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279447 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

And yet you are not advocating on behalf of new members.

And you know this why? because I'm not spreading their names across the forum for everyone to see?

Trisskar wrote: Your being stabby. And blowing things out of proportion. A solution has already been found and implemented. So what are you actually trying to argue?

This is actually a very good question, it made me pause for a moment, but I think I posted this argument before, irregardless of spoiler tags I still don't think the "open discussions forum" of which I hate that name, was still an appropriate place to post that content, because its not only viewable by guests but its publicly viewable as well, so were not just including those new members we are including those who read the site but haven't registered yet as well. Granted the video content itself is behind spoilers and not visible to that group, the discussion itself is. There are just some topics that are best handled once inside, not out in the open. That is one of the reasons why the topic was moved from open discussions into a different part of the forum.

As far as what I'm trying to argue, even though I think it would fall on deaf ears for reasons that can't be gotten into, if I had proposed a different name for open discussions so its not so widely open, and/or move the open discussions to must at least be registered to view it would be a bit more appropriate. I don't think we should get rid of a widely open discussion area, but I do think it should be seen by those who are ready for a widely open discussion area, as not everyone is. I almost wish that the Jediism discussion and open discussion were reversed in position. So that Jediism is discussed and publicly viewed as a better face for the temple and prospective new members, and that the open discussions are kept for those ready to handle them.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi