• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279481 by

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Trisskar wrote:
As I pointed out with my daughter and her viewing a vampire feeding.....I did not intend or want her to see that. I am usually always careful (Its actually paused right now because my oldest is wanting to brush my hair while I type this :-p ) I can't change the fact that she saw it. Its done. She saw it. So as a parent I have chosen to use it as a "Build up" and "Educative" opportunity to teach her about it. Because I trust her ability to handle it, i give her the credit she deserves to at least understand that there are bad things that happen in the world, and I am building that knowledge up bit by bit when the time presents itself to do so. And the older she gets, the more often I will leave things open for questioning in order to build the level of knowledge and encourage questions.

Just like your Forum Viewing. When you prove yourself ready you kick it up a notch, get invited into higher level categories. you build up.

Not being stabby but just as a question, if you believed she had the ability to handle it, or trusted her with the ability to handle it, then why did you not intend or want her to see it in the first place? Yes it is one thing if they are already exposed but even you yourself did not want her to see it yet, Why is that reason?

1. I'm currently sick with a low grade fever, my motivation to be "Mother of the year" is not as great as other days. I didn't want her sitting on my lap (which would invite her older sister to do the same) and have a cuddle scary vampire party

2. Continued watching of the show will encourage 50 other questions I don't feel like answering right now. Selfish? yea. Guess what. Im sick and grumpy ;) Lets not encourage grumpy mom on innocently curious children that i love.

3. Because even though I am willing to teach the virtues of dealing with scary things. Im not going to go shoving it down their throats and encouraging a consistent dose of it.

I will gladly handle situations and questions when they come up. That dosn't mean they need to be around it as often as I am.

^^^ This is what I was looking for.

Also I feel your pain I'm dealing with a bit of a head cold and infection myself.

I think it would be a safe bet to say that if some day your daughter joined totjo at 13(which this is very hypothetical for obvious reasons) your concerns for what she would be subjected to would be important, and more importantly how we respected your concerns for what she is subjected to at that age would be equally important? Hence spoiler tags but spoiler tags are often used to block videos or pictures, not blocks of text content usually, or more so rarely if ever. Is 13 an age where one would feel comfortable reading about some of those heavy dark topics? and if not then what age would you feel differently? though I'm sure that is very subjective on a per individual basis?

No. Because at age 13 she will have likely already seen everything the internet is likely going to show her ;) If she chooses to join here she also chooses to accept what she finds without my censoring. Because I trust my daughters ability to handle it. And if she cant I will be there to answer her questions and provide suggestions when she has need of them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279483 by Wescli Wardest

Trisskar wrote:

Joe Bob wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Billy Bob wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Bob Bob wrote:

Tellahane wrote:

Any Bob wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Papa Smurf wrote:

Attachment untitled.png not found

Are we being Smurfy????

Wait a sec... what ! ? ! ? !

LOL
:laugh:

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #279484 by Tellahane

Trisskar wrote:
No. Because at age 13 she will have likely already seen everything the internet is likely going to show her ;) If she chooses to join here she also chooses to accept what she finds without my censoring. Because I trust my daughters ability to handle it. And if she cant I will be there to answer her questions and provide suggestions when she has need of them.

That is awesome, I wish everyone had the opportunity and the parenting to be brought up the in this manner. However just because we believe in that way of parenting or even strongly suggest it, and support it, doesn't mean that everyone that comes here has had the same experiences and opportunities and upbringing, or hasn't had trauma of their own can we? I like how people argue the point that, as Jedi with these given teachings/doctrine etc they shouldn't be afraid of it either. I'm not a supporter of oh you registered a site your now a Jedi and understand those concepts instantly though kind of stance that some people take.

Lot's to think about, I gotta spend some time getting caught up on work for awhile.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #279486 by
Ummm? 0_o @ Wes...not you Tell :-p
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 weeks ago #279493 by

Tellahane wrote:

Senan wrote: Sorry if this comes off as preachy, but a very important part of my Jedi faith at its core is found in Teaching 9.

9. Jedi have integrity. We are authentic to what we believe and are open, honest and true to our purpose and our minds. We remove all masks to reveal ourselves as courageous and noble of heart. We do not hide from fear of damage to our image because we know that our image cannot be blemished from the words and actions of others.

I don't think we should be hiding any conversations from anyone or attempting to put what we believe is our "best foot forward". I think we should let people see us for who we are and witness the conversations we have, both constructive and destructive. The original post containing the video spawned an important and meaningful conversation that continues even now, and it is an example of the discourse that happens here. It highlights the best of us as we learn from each other and seek a resolution that we can agree on. It highlights the diversity of this community and our willingness to consider opinions that differ from our own. It also highlights how we react to each other when our worst is put on display for others to see. To hide any of these things for fear of offending or traumatizing someone goes against what I stand for as a Jedi.

Now, I'm not saying we should be unfeeling a-holes about it, but using spoiler tags should be more than enough warning for anyone who is worried about such things.

Hiding the forums in general is not where I was intending the idea to go, but by your argument, I then ask why do we have apprenticeship forums only hidden for apprentices and up, why do we have a knighthood forum section only hidden for all of the knights, by your argument every forum in here should be available to at the very least be read only to everyone to better serve "Jedi Integrity" the way you have interpreted it.

As was pointed out earlier, we don't teach algebra to first graders. We have forums specific to rank because access to those forums is earned by demonstrating a basic knowledge of things that come before it. We aren't hiding anything from anyone who isn't willing to meet the requirements. We aren't hiding those forums because the contents are scary or embarrassing. Allowing access to a Knight's Forum for everyone would make it much harder for Knights to conduct business in that forum that is specific to Knights, just as Apprentices have a forum to discuss studies that do not need to include input from guests or Novices.

My argument is that if you are posting in the forums at all, you shouldn't feel the need to hide anything or censor yourself beyond what the forum rules require. Be genuine, or keep the opinion to yourself if you believe it will harm others or is inappropriate. If it's questionable, put it in a spoiler. I would also expect Knights to show integrity and be genuine in the Knight's Forum out of respect for the other Knights. Just because I can't see it now, doesn't mean I won't be reading it someday when I have business there.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi