Streen and Silas plotting

More
7 years 4 months ago #267805 by Leah Starspectre
To balance reason and compassion is a virtue we should all strive for. Accusing us of acting like a cult and calling someone a "dipshit" may be honest, but it lacks in compassion and temperance.

There are ways to be honest while remaining respectful, and I think that's what we should all be trying to do. I actually just saw this today, which illustrates what I'm trying to say:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267806 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Streen and Silas plotting

OB1Shinobi wrote: Leah, I respect that you value kindness
but, better than what?

i value honesty, is being kind better than being honest?

i believe the things im saying are accurate and relevant, and that kindness is not the appropriate response in this situation
not towards streen
i admit that its not necessary for me to repeat myself though or go on any crusade or start any petitions to have someone step down- i mean to have someone banned lol

With all due respect,

Honesty is important, kindness comes in may shades, being rude and name calling isn't a requirement, one simply could have said "I respect your opinion but despite that I disagree" The only thing you did was show hostility which maybe you feel that way who knows, but for all this talk in this thread(not you specifically) about how respect is earned, your responses have certainly not performing in that regard. It's quite possible you don't really care whether anyone respects you or not, but then again your chastising someone else for the same thing.

Whether someone else has respect or not is irrelevant to whether you choose to act with respect in the first place. You can be the better person or you can be the same as those you can complain about, but not both.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267809 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Streen and Silas plotting
So you're asking for respect based on tenure rather than any contribution, but you denied Jestor any respect that he is due from his massive self sacrifice and commitment.

No.

You're a long standing "old guard" who had a fire lit under his arse to behave poorly and create unnecessary conflict by a much younger Jedi with a rebellious streak and an attitude problem. And then blame him for your own actions.

Um. No.

None of us are perfect by any means, but in this mess you've created you have demonstrated why your experience and tenure has not been enough to award you rank here without following due process.

This is why we have these requirements in place. Not because we're a cult, but because we have weighed the collective experiences of this temple and it's people and created the best working model we currently have. No doubt we will change and evolve, but not to the point where we consider this foolishness acceptable.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267812 by
Replied by on topic Streen and Silas plotting
Ob1. Streen is an honourable man. As are you, please don't call people dipshits, it's out of order. Somsons please lock thread I don't want anymore bans on anyone.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267813 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Streen and Silas plotting
Deleted.

#mybad

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Brenna.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267814 by
Lol I think we got it sorted 8)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267829 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: i value honesty, is being kind better than being honest?

Being kind and being honest are not dependent upon one another just as being honest and being rude are not dependent upon one another. One can be honest while being kind, rude, or neither.

If we are to be examples of the Jedi Way to others, we need to practice it all of the time and toward everyone, not just when it is convenient to the conversation. Emotion, yet Peace.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267830 by

Silas Mercury wrote: Somsons please lock thread I don't want anymore bans on anyone.

You should really stop asking for threads to be locked. Real life doesn't work like that. Once something has started we all have to live with the consequences of it. Locking every thread that you think is starting to go sideways won't help any of us learn how to steer back on to the road.

Live and learn.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267831 by OB1Shinobi

Leah Starspectre wrote: To balance reason and compassion is a virtue we should all strive for. Accusing us of acting like a cult and calling someone a "dipshit" may be honest, but it lacks in compassion and temperance.

fair enough i could have held back on overt insults, Brennas post was a good example

but as a general rule, my compassion is reserved for those who are victims of events and circumstances beyond their own control, or for people who actually regret and learn from their mistakes

streen brought this on himself and i think the only thing he regrets is that things backfired

nothing worthy of compassion imo

Tellahane wrote:
Honesty is important, kindness comes in may shades, being rude and name calling isn't a requirement, one simply could have said "I respect your opinion but despite that I disagree"

except i dont respect his opinion, at all
i think that his opinions are poorly formed, and worse, are ultimately hostile to this community

and i think that respecting them is possibly going to lead to more trouble in the future

ive made a judgment about his character, and as unfair as that might be, its based on about two years of watching him and reading his posts
and not only do i not respect his opinion, or the process he seems to use to generate his opinions, but i dont trust him
because of his own words and actions
and im voicing that, clearly

Tellahane wrote: The only thing you did was show hostility

hostility might be the only thing you saw when you read my post, but its not the only element that was there

Tellahane wrote: which maybe you feel that way who knows, but for all this talk in this thread(not you specifically) about how respect is earned, your responses have certainly not performing in that regard. It's quite possible you don't really care whether anyone respects you or not, but then again your chastising someone else for the same thing.

its not that i dont care, its that i know its inevitable that people are going judge, and so i speak what i think is right for me to speak and i accept the judgment that comes with it

i dont ask anyone to respect me and i dont ask for any favors

i care about this place and the people here and even though i am very critical, i do my best to contribute useful ideas and information

Tellahane wrote: Whether someone else has respect or not is irrelevant to whether you choose to act with respect in the first place.

well in my world its ok to call someone a dipshit if thats what they are - ive been called much worse and sometimes it was even true

i know that breaks the mamby pamby code of safe spaces and bubble wrap culture so i guess im just going to hell with all the other evil meanie meanie heads

Tellahane wrote: You can be the better person or you can be the same as those you can complain about, but not both.

im not complaining about someone using words like "dipshit" though am i?
those are your complaints about me and have nothing to do with my complaints about streen

======================================================

Silas, seriously? lol um no, im definitely not listening to you lol

====================================

now Senan too lol jesus christ ok look - to everyone who thinks it was unnecessary of me to call streen a dipshit: YOURE RIGHT: its totally unnecessary to call him a dipshit or anything else, and i completely understand (and respect your decision) if you choose not to

and i am proud of you for being kind and compassionate jedi

thank you, and i sincerely hope you all have a lovely day :)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Zenchi, , Tellahane, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267833 by
Thanks for that ... err, extremely .... um ... heartfelt .. message Ob1. Enjoy your evening, you ba- .... I mean, lovely man :D

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi