A Jedi Retreat/Temple

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281902 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
YES! Deathstarbucks!

Customer: "I'd like a grande iced mocha frappuccino latte half caf half decaf with non-fat whip and light ice please."

Me: "Don't be too proud of this caffeinated terror you've constructed. The power of the latte is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Your total is $19.95. Please drive through." :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281904 by

Senan wrote: YES! Deathstarbucks!

Customer: "I'd like a grande iced mocha frappuccino latte half caf half decaf with non-fat whip and light ice please."

Me: "Don't be too proud of this caffeinated terror you've constructed. The power of the latte is insignificant next to the power of the Force. Your total is $19.95. Please drive through." :laugh:

Your taste buds cannot reflect flavour of this magnitude! XD Would you like it dark side, or light? :p

Honestly, pop culture puns like that are essentially a license to print money. (I know that's not the goal)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281921 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

Honestly, pop culture puns like that are essentially a license to print money. (I know that's not the goal)

I have not got to the lesson in the IP that teaches money is the root of all evil, so I don't see why it can't be a goal :P

Four of the the top Five institutional share holders in both Disney and Starbucks are the same

The Vanguard Group.(worth 1.8 trillion)
State Street Corporation (worth 245 billion)
FMR, LLC (Wikipedia failed me here)
BlackRock (220 billion)

I don't want to lend any credence to the conspiracy theories - but if we make it Deathstarbucks, those 4 investment organisations are really doubling-down on their profits-per-cup :D
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 11 months ago #281975 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
I am actually shocked this topic has been brought up again... now, Jeffrey I think from the few responses I read... (I didn't read them all and refuse) everyone seems like they're for it but, cannot afford it. I think it was in 2011 or, 2012 I attempted to get one started. I got a few to come it was down at the city hall for awhile and as I recalled a few of them attempted to become members of this temple but, shortly fell away. We held meetings for close to six months and we're talking about renting a place a three bedroom apt. And make it a temple. The first room would be the office for the record keeping, the living room the council chamber, the 2nd room mediation and third for training...it failed. Everyone bailed on me started calling me crazy and never spoke again...lol its hard work to get anybody to commit money, time and resources. A lot of times I was the only one to give anything...it sucked. It am not against it but, it's a lot of work...A LOT OF WORK.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

More
6 years 11 months ago #281978 by JamesSand

a three bedroom apt. And make it a temple. The first room would be the office for the record keeping, the living room the council chamber, the 2nd room mediation and third for training

This is part of the reason I have not gone for a Pub, yes it may have the rooms etc, but the licencing for the different types of business activity would be costly and frustrating.

The Cafe option doesn't give a "dojo", but that really doesn't bother me, it's a meeting place, and any profits can be used as required by the order.

:P:P :D :D

If I keep pretending it's a real thing....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281979 by

JamesSand wrote: The Cafe option doesn't give a "dojo"...

This got me thinking about the many many hours of planning and consideration I've given to opening my own dojo. It's easy to dream about the end goal of having a shiny building with droves of people queuing to get in, or even a franchise with several shiny buildings, but the fundamental truth I've come to realise (and the reason I haven't opened any doors yet) is that this is backwards thinking. To be successful, whether a dojo or a temple, you first need the people and then the building.

The most fiscally responsible way to create a temple would be to boot-leg it. In essence, arrange the regular meeting of Jedi to do what Jedi do wherever you can find space cheap or free: walking meditations through the woods, physical training at a local running track, etc. and then find a way to raise money from it - perhaps a nominal fee for a meditation class or group training class. Once the funds have grown, and more so the number of participants, the money could be spent renting a local community hall for activities until, again growing the number of participants, the income stream becomes sufficient to support a permanent premises to be exclusively a temple. Doing it this way also aids in determining the optimum location for a physical temple as natural attrition will show what areas cannot sustain the cost of operating one.

Of course, it may not sit well with some to charge a fee to teach something we see as beneficial, such as basic physical training or meditation, but the harsh reality is that in our (western at least) society, you need a viable business model for longevity. If I could teach martial arts without charging a fee I would, but bills have to be paid.

Not that I mean for this to detract from the dream of a physical temple, but I sometimes wonder whether these conversations are more about being part of a temple or simply having a temple.

That's my 2 cents, although I think there have been enough 2 cents contributed that we probably could buy a temple by now. ;)

More
6 years 11 months ago #281991 by JamesSand

perhaps a nominal fee for a meditation class or group training class

A 5 day spirit experience in the Australian outback (complete with fasting and sleep deprivation) runs at over $1000.

So, there's money to be had in selling...well lies, but let's call them wisdom building adventures.

There's a buddhist temple somewhere that makes ends meet by renting out rooms.

Edit: http://www.australianbuddhisthistory.com/index.php/Quang_Duc_Buddhist_Temple
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quang-Duc-Buddhist-Temple/208480862502346

I can't find any mention of them renting rooms, but it has been many years since I was there, so they may have stopped the practice.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281993 by
It all just depends on where you at. Making ends meet and keeping a place self sustained is easy enough. The problem is the start up.

Here in michigan Ren Faire's, Re-enactments, Shooting Ranges, Survival and all around "We need a peace of property we can easily rent for group activities" is very common here. A retreat that caters to all of those group interests would not only suite the Jedi lifestyle but be self sustaining......

But unless I win the lottery to buy up and prep such a place.....Its not happening XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282002 by

Trisskar wrote: It all just depends on where you at. Making ends meet and keeping a place self sustained is easy enough. The problem is the start up.

Here in michigan Ren Faire's, Re-enactments, Shooting Ranges, Survival and all around "We need a peace of property we can easily rent for group activities" is very common here. A retreat that caters to all of those group interests would not only suite the Jedi lifestyle but be self sustaining......

But unless I win the lottery to buy up and prep such a place.....Its not happening XD

I would love a Jedi day here in Michigan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282022 by

JLSpinner wrote:

Trisskar wrote: It all just depends on where you at. Making ends meet and keeping a place self sustained is easy enough. The problem is the start up.

I would love a Jedi day here in Michigan.

There is going to be a Michigan Gathering :) https://trisskar9.wixsite.com/jedigatherings/mi-9-22-24-2017

And here is the TOTJO thread about it - https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Offline-activities/118039-non-totjo-centric-michigan-jedi-gathering-9-22-24-2017
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi