Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271528 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
I love the idea of having a garden be your temple! Nothing says meditation and learning like a beautiful garden with a fountain, birds chirping in the trees, and the smell of fresh flowers. It's something that sounds so peaceful. I, myself, use my room as my Temple. A place where I can meditate in a dark area, listen to relaxing meditation music when I learn, and even just take time to just relax.

More
7 years 3 months ago #271572 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
"You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what you owe anybody, you don’t know what anybody owes to you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen." (JC)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271593 by

Cyan Sarden wrote: "You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what you owe anybody, you don’t know what anybody owes to you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen." (JC)

Now THIS is something I subscribe to!

More
7 years 3 months ago #271594 by Carlos.Martinez3
Here here!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281792 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Well this'll make me popular with the old guard, :side:

Quickly and off hand to something someone said around page three - In the mountains of Austria there is a small cabin that (in German) has words to the effect of "Hunters Fisherman and other liars gather here"
Now, I'm aware that you can buy these words in any $2 shop to hang on your wall, and I have no idea who said them first, but I still kind of like them. Whether they speak to the tenets of Jediism is debatable, but I would consider having them on the front door :P )

Anison mentioned in a recent post that there could be 1 of 2 ways a physical temple could come to pass - crowdfunding, or a single wealthy benefactor.

Now, my understanding of Jedi is that, much like the Pirate Lords, they are all flat broke :lol:

and, whilst there are a few members who may have the capital, or already own large tracts of land, what they do is their business and I'm not willing to make any assumptions on their behalf.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT: I am a keen capitalist, and always looking for ways to make more money for my daily money swim.

So I am interested in discussing how a Jedi temple would be financially viable, taking existing laws at face value.

I have *some* knowledge of my local laws as far as rates, stamp duties, tax deductions etc are concerned (I've never bought a church before, so I have no idea about these laws as they apply to charity type organisations, which I might be able to find out with some research and phone calls - on the other hand as far as I know, TotJO has no legal existence in Australia, so it's probably irrelevant)

I'm not too interested in "We could grow Jedi-Corn and sell it at markets!" or "Jedi-Spun Robe online sales", so much as actual math and consideration - (for example) Corn is a very water dependent crop, not to mention the need for customers to actually buy the corn, trucks to transport it, and there's nothing in the doctrine about Jedi being any good at agricultural pursuits anyway.

What would it actually take, one way or another, to make a physical location that can sustain itself financially (another example- if you want it to sustain itself electronically, you'll want $20,000(AUD) for a semi decent offgrid solar system)

Let's assume we have no capital, and all moneys need to be borrowed - so not only does such a venture need to be able to pay it's way going forward, it'll need to have additional revenue to pay off the debt and interest!

Sometime after breakfast I'll actually start making a spreadsheet, but I'm here for ideas on how to make it work (if I had all the good ideas myself I'd be retired by now!)

Edit: I'm actually generally of the opinion that a physical jedi temple is not particularly necessary, so you're preaching to the choir if you want to go down that route - I'm not asking if we *should* have a temple - just that, if we assume the premise that we do want/need one - how to make it work, short of winning the lottery)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281876 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
So after a bit I had the idea that a cafe might make a good front -

It's a meeting place, the financials for a cafe are fairly straight forward, you can put them pretty much anywhere.

The Managers/Staff don't necessarily have to be fans of Jediism.

That's more or less as far as I got, but at face value it seems sort of sensible - international Jedi Coffee franchise - instant accessible temples the world over :dry:

I had a bit of a look for Charity/ not-for-profit Cafes, and found https://lentilasanything.com/
a bit interesting.

(Suggesting we use https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/ for our warm brews...)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brick

More
6 years 11 months ago #281877 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

JamesSand wrote: So after a bit I had the idea that a cafe might make a good front -

It's a meeting place, the financials for a cafe are fairly straight forward, you can put them pretty much anywhere.

The Managers/Staff don't necessarily have to be fans of Jediism.

That's more or less as far as I got, but at face value it seems sort of sensible - international Jedi Coffee franchise - instant accessible temples the world over :dry:

I had a bit of a look for Charity/ not-for-profit Cafes, and found https://lentilasanything.com/
a bit interesting.

(Suggesting we use https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/ for our warm brews...)

I really like the idea of something like this. I was visiting a friend recently and stumbled across a 'Pay As You Feel' restaurant in their town that was really nice!

http://saltairecanteen.co.uk/restaurant/

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281893 by
Perhaps we can secretly infiltrate Starbucks and slowly transform them all into Jedi Cafe locations? :evil:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281896 by

Senan wrote: Perhaps we can secretly infiltrate Starbucks and slowly transform them all into Jedi Cafe locations? :evil:

*Waves hand* You will surrender your franchise. You don't need proof of purchase. You want to go home and rethink your life.

EDIT: Also, I believe we should rename it to Deathstarbucks
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by . Reason: mesa bombadly bad at spelling

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi