A Jedi Retreat/Temple

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282582 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Im sorry about my comments but Im tired of the negativity on this issue.
I got email after email notifying me of a comment on this subject and most were negative so I dropped it and started my own thing and left this alone for months. However I still got negative comments, and felt like I was labeled as the crazy guy who wants to build a temple. Honestly I just feel we should try to focus on giving back to our communities and utilize what we have learned here.... that's all. We can do some real good in the world. And today after getting a negative comment outside of the Temple about this Thread just set me off. I had no intention on replying to this thread ever again because I was just over it. Yes places like mine do fail however so many succeed as well. Not everyone is being negative and I get you are just trying to help but I do feel the majority is just trying to put this down and crush a dream from what I can only describe as being too afraid to try.
Ive been over trying to build a Jedi retreat/temple I much rather build something for people who want it so all of my comments today are just trying to show that its possible. My point is IT CAN be DONE. Everyone reading this thread just please dont let anyone crush your dreams, it doesnt matter who they are, if they are a Jedi, teacher, or Pastor. If you want to do something do not stop until you get it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #282583 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

Jeffery Williams wrote: Im sorry about my comments but Im tired of the negativity on this issue.

That's not negativity. That's constructive criticism. This issue has been discussed to death in this Temple, with people who know exactly what it would take to rent/buy/build/etc. space for meatspace operations of Jedi, and it always comes down to the same few problems that no one wants to admit are actual problems. Because everyone would rather ignore the "negativity" of reality, nobody is any closer to doing this.

Nobody's saying it can't be done. We're just saying why it shouldn't be done right now. Please learn the difference before whining that yet-another-irl-temple-thread has gone in exactly the same direction as the hundreds of others before it when none of the pertinent information has changed. Thank you. <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282586 by
There is a difference between saying it shouldn't be done right now and what has been said on this issue.
I'm not whining I just do not like getting messages outside of the temple harassing me on this issue when I have dropped it I believe over 5 months ago. Again the negative comments I am referring to has been throughout this thread since October and then what I got today outside of the Temple. I get it has been discussed to death which is why I was not going to bring it up until my village for homeless Veterans was up and running. Even at that point it would have been just a look this is what I did and whats possible in a different thread.

Your tired of this topic I get it, I got it months ago.
My responses today are only because of someone who will not let this go when I let it go a long time ago.
Im tired of it too

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282588 by
Jeffrey , you do what your heart desires , why would you care about what we think , i respect that you want to do this against some odds, follow your bliss and remember , the ones that mind dont matter and the ones that matter dont mind :)

More
6 years 11 months ago #282589 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

but I do feel the majority is just trying to put this down and crush a dream from what I can only describe as being too afraid to try.

Listen, I'm glad you have the capabilities to do what you want to do, but not all of us are as lucky. I am sick of entitled people telling me I'm too afraid to accomplish my dreams when they have no idea what my life entails.

Everyone reading this thread just please dont let anyone crush your dreams, it doesnt matter who they are, if they are a Jedi, teacher, or Pastor. If you want to do something do not stop until you get it.

And when you start blithering things like this, and people try it, and lose their health, their homes, their jobs, or their families because they didn't stop and consider consequences or proper goal setting, was it worth it? This wide-sweeping "You can do anything you can dream" is so disconnected from earthly reality to be floating next to Pluto. (The deity or the planet, take your pick). Should you have goals and aspirations? Yes. Should you plan them to be attainable? absolutely. And if this is attainable for you, then go for it.

I haven't read through most of this thread and I understand the negativity that CAN come from people, however, cautions and constructive criticism (which is what you've gotten today) isn't negativity. You want some negativity? I can bitch all day. That's not what I'm offering here and have never offered in this thread.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282590 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

I just do not like getting messages outside of the temple harassing me on this issue when I have dropped it I believe over 5 months ago.

Uhh, My bad I guess? I didn't want to create *another* thread, so I used this one to float some thoughts.

Unsubscribe I guess.

Given that I STILL don't want to create another thread on the issue -

I spoke to the bank about my cunning plan (they weren't thrilled. It was a truly hilarious conversation) but they are none the less willing to extend me a line of credit at comparison rate of around 7%, if I buy a $200,000 building & business combo near or near enough to brisbane (I've got other interests in caboolture, so it's convenient for me....) I'll need to clear $14000 a year for interest alone + whatever I need for rates and bills, and that's not collecting a wage for myself!

I have not spoken to the accountant yet, but given that I don't (and no Jedi organisation I know of) has any special charity status in Oz, it's not looking good from a tax dodge / concessions on certain things stand point either.

I'm looking at what it takes to get registered as an RTO (registered training organisation), then I can use "free" employees in exchange for training in hospitality. I believe this is a strategy that the Salvation Army cafes use with their volunteers.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282594 by
We actually train the homeless who stay at the mission I volunteer at to make their own meals. In doing so, they become certified food handlers that can work in a restaurant. We get free labor in return for training that can hopefully get some of these homeless into steady employment.

They also do basic maintenance and janitorial work in return for computer training and use of the internet to get identification, submit resumes, or apply for government assistance.

It is a good model, but the startup is a bitch. The cost of operating the facility itself and all of the regulation is very prohibitive. We have to get permission from everybody in the government bureaucracy (social services, health, mental health services, etc.), the church, law enforcement, and the community to do anything.

We still do it every day and it can be successful, but it is a Herculean task. This isn't negativity. This is what I am doing in real life. I don't do it to be more "Jedi". I do it because I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can be of service. As Kit has said, not everyone is in a place where they are able to dedicate the time or resources to something this ambitious, but that doesn't mean they are less "Jedi" than anyone else. It simply means they are making responsible decisions based on their situation and explaining why they can't be a part of efforts to creat a physical temple right now. Or, like James, they are doing due diligence before diving in head first. No single way will be right for any of us.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi