A Jedi Retreat/Temple

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262886 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
I like this one to mention, the hunting castle of King Francis I, Castle Chambord. (completed in 1554) I have been there several years ago during a short holiday stop to look around and I find the double-helix staircase from Leonardo da Vinci a beautiful construction.. With over the 440 rooms there is enough space and its exit of 8km / 4mi / 1708.906yd gives enough privacy.. Ehm.. It is too large, but the style looks lovely if it would be more simple. :blush:

Design ideas:

easy accessible on the map
not close by a town or city
high on a mountain (less noise)

Building:
enough rooms
a central staircase
I like compact buildings
no unnecessary rooms
something not outrageous!
a high sealing with detail
preferably old or an old building style
a cozy feeling everywhere :blush:

Possible room ideas besides the usual stuff:
privacy places to be alone, like personal study rooms
secret meeting rooms and passages to make it more interesting*
a library with a closed section to store old valuable copies
one astronomical tower, including a telescope and planetarium
the lecture room that does not look boring + comfortable seats
a Jedi Chapel with organ :blink:
some places to practice arts and personal interests/ activities
rooms to create income.. like a museum/public tour section

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262888 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

JamesSand wrote: Firstly: Wow, the old folks were right - this subject does come up a lot :laugh:

I've been asking that this question and "How do Jedi feel about drugs?" be put in the FAQ, but people keep shooting me down. At one time, I also made a masterpost for all the "Do Jedi wear robes?" sorts of questions, but I don't have the link handy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kohadre, Rex

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262889 by Carlos.Martinez3

Codex wrote: I like this one to mention, the hunting castle of King Francis I, Castle Chambord. (completed in 1554) I have been there several years ago during a short holiday stop to look around and I find the double-helix staircase from Leonardo da Vinci a beautiful construction.. With over the 440 rooms there is enough space and its exit of 8km / 4mi / 1708.906yd gives enough privacy.. Ehm.. It is too large, but the style looks lovely if it would be more simple. :blush:

Design ideas:

easy accessible on the map
not close by a town or city
high on a mountain (less noise)

Building:
enough rooms
a central staircase
I like compact buildings
no unnecessary rooms
something not outrageous!
a high sealing with detail
preferably old or an old building style
a cozy feeling everywhere :blush:

Possible room ideas besides the usual stuff:
privacy places to be alone, like personal study rooms
secret meeting rooms and passages to make it more interesting*
a library with a closed section to store old valuable copies
one astronomical tower, including a telescope and planetarium
the lecture room that does not look boring + comfortable seats
a Jedi Chapel with organ :blink:
some places to practice arts and personal interests/ activities
rooms to create income.. like a museum/public tour section

Warning: Spoiler!

Joking ...they r seriouserious about their lawn darts hu?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262892 by

carlos.martinez3 wrote: Joking ...they r seriouserious about their lawn darts hu?

Hehe, no idea what weird games they play there Carlos! Maybe we should give it a try? ;)

Chambord is just way, way, too big.. almost scary.. :blush: I really do like the old style and that is actually the only reason I like to show Chambord. These days people do not make nice stairs anymore, I enjoy those details so much that I miss is every time I enter a 'new build' place. It makes me sad that so many buildings are industrial made. :( And it is very special to see craftsmanship too, makes me happy. :cheer:

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262937 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Castles Schmastles.

My Jedi Retreat (Other that my actual house) looks like....
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262948 by
its so hilarious how most of you are against the idea of a physical place for jediism. on many levels that doesnt make sense to me.

-like in other religions one doesnt need own things if everything in a temple is shared. like in a monastery. you argue that you dont need physical things, but actually a monastry-like-place could mean to give up own physical things and have shared stuff.

-this forum is a place to meet and it is still kind of physical. there is a physical server and this place has a adress. it is helpful to have a place to meet.

-it is like a gym. a gym has special things to stay fit and do sports together. i am not a fan of going to a gym for jogging on a treadmill, cause you should do that outside. but still some exercises are better with training equip and a knowig training teacher to correct your mistakes. thats something a book or a video cant do. and for real, people hurt themselfs because of tthose mistakes.

-you always come up with the argument that is will be a fancy place. where does this come from? why is your mind making the picture of a fancy place? i can see a white room, some meditation pillows and a deep table. another room has a small library and a few tables to sit on and eat together or read and write. a dojo for physical teaining. not nore then a mid sized youth-club. this doesnt has to be a temple of a huge size (except its a monastry like one, then it needs to be bigger)

i dont want to say that it is nessesary or better, i just want to say that it has up and downsides. and as you can see jeffery has some good ideas what to do there for the community as well. he is not kust about building a house for own pleasure, but to make the qorld a better place.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262949 by

Heut wrote: its so hilarious how most of you are against the idea of a physical place for jediism. on many levels that doesnt make sense to me.

Not sure what is "Hilarious" about it. Most if not all of us would love to see a physical place for Jediism. It is just that we are being practical. And some of us......Have tried. ;) My home has been sanctuary to a great many Jedi. I am one of the leading founders and Organizer/Co Organizers of Jedi Gatherings and quite keenly understand the difficulty, work, and most importantly....Money...it takes to get 20...30....Jedi into one physical location. ((The stress and drama is un real, believe me.)) My husband even set in motion an actual physical place and Jedi bailed out on him.

Its not "Hilarious" at all. It's a pipe dream that many of us would love to see come true.....but lack the resources or passion to actually do it. In the end....Our real lives are more important. My husband is more important. My kids and their education is more important. Food and clothes and a small house they can sleep in is more important. A JOB. Is more important.

Besides.....most Jedi cant handle the Online Drama and Debates. Much less deal with it in person face to face on a consistent basis.

You want to meet Jedi once or twice a year? Come to a Gathering. There is going to be one In Ohio September 2017 I look forward to seeing some of you there. (And likely wont anyways....)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262952 by
hey trisskar
thanks for the serious reply. cause this is what i was criticising as well. there had been so many joking-around-answers here that it seemed that nobody is taking the idea and discussion of jeffery earnest (is that possible to say in english?)

i can understand your reasoning pretty well. the world out there already takes huge amounts of ressources and time.
that is by the way is why monks and clerics had to be wifeless and living their life dedicated to the "god/religion"
so i would say its hard but possible to build up such a place. and it would be good to be in a big city, because otherwise there wont be enough interested people to go there regulary.

gatherings are really cool and important, but not the same as a real settled community. there had been reasons why you had to go to church one a week with your body. it forms a community, a bond between people.
gatherings are more compareable to a pilgramage.

thanks for the invitation but i m living in europe and wont be agle to hop the big lake ;)

More
7 years 5 months ago #262954 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

Heut wrote: hey trisskar
thanks for the serious reply. cause this is what i was criticising as well. there had been so many joking-around-answers here that it seemed that nobody is taking the idea and discussion of jeffery earnest (is that possible to say in english?)

i can understand your reasoning pretty well. the world out there already takes huge amounts of ressources and time.
that is by the way is why monks and clerics had to be wifeless and living their life dedicated to the "god/religion"
so i would say its hard but possible to build up such a place. and it would be good to be in a big city, because otherwise there wont be enough interested people to go there regulary.

gatherings are really cool and important, but not the same as a real settled community. there had been reasons why you had to go to church one a week with your body. it forms a community, a bond between people.
gatherings are more compareable to a pilgramage.

thanks for the invitation but i m living in europe and wont be agle to hop the big lake ;)

We have quite a few members "across the lake" who get together at least once a year if not more so I believe...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 5 months ago #262959 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

Heut wrote: its so hilarious how most of you are against the idea of a physical place for jediism. on many levels that doesnt make sense to me.

No one is against it. If you want to go ahead and build a temple, build it. Some of us here have limited time and resources, so at least in my case it would be at the very bottom of my list.

That said, I believe Freemasonry functions with "Lodges", where every member's house is a meeting place for other members, and serves as temporal housing for travellers. This approach might be more efficient, especially considering how scattered Jedi are around the world.

I'm personally biased, I must admit, living in Ecuador, away from most of you.

Heut wrote: i dont want to say that it is nessesary or better, i just want to say that it has up and downsides. and as you can see jeffery has some good ideas what to do there for the community as well. he is not kust about building a house for own pleasure, but to make the qorld a better place.

Jeffrey's project seems worthy, but from what I've read the idea of a Jedi Temple is being forced into it. The point is, it is a worthwhile project, calling it a Jedi Retreat/Temple only makes it sound cooler, and does not contribute in any other way.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi