IP discussion area

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223535 by
Replied by on topic IP discussion area
I wanted to take the time and thank each of you - especially the Knights who have offered suggestion and guidance. Upon my second completion of the IP i feel much more informed. Thank you Masters sincerely.

-bow-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #234807 by
I want to express my experience with IP, I'm in the process. I hope that's a correct thread for this.

Lesson 2 has no alternative then reading Alan Watts. And I distrust him.

I have quite objective reasons for that: he did not handle his drinking and smoking habits well and died ridiculously early for a men who teaches about enlightenment.

My proposition is to add an alternative to Watts in lesson two. As of what can it be, personally I'd prefer reading D.T. Suzuki or Jiddu Krishnamurti.

I hope for a feedback on this. If that's possible, I'd prefer to not finish reading of Watts' "The Book" - I find it bad usage of my time.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234905 by

den385 wrote: I want to express my experience with IP, I'm in the process. I hope that's a correct thread for this.

Lesson 2 has no alternative then reading Alan Watts. And I distrust him.

I have quite objective reasons for that: he did not handle his drinking and smoking habits well and died ridiculously early for a men who teaches about enlightenment.

My proposition is to add an alternative to Watts in lesson two. As of what can it be, personally I'd prefer reading D.T. Suzuki or Jiddu Krishnamurti.

I hope for a feedback on this. If that's possible, I'd prefer to not finish reading of Watts' "The Book" - I find it bad usage of my time.

I agree. Mr. Watts was a much better speaker than a writer, and knew to stick with the purpose of the topic when he spoke. I've tried reading and rereading the first few chapters, and I am a Librarian. Each time I do, I think, " Dude. You're bullshitting your way through the writing here. This ought to have been a fireside chat instead."

My suggestion is two or more alternative choices for this section.

More
8 years 1 month ago #234927 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic IP discussion area
The IP does say you can "watch, listen or read" it, so it might be easier to digest listening, then reading. There is a lot to be learned from listening to troubled souls, in both how it makes us react and perhaps why they think the way they do.... 'troubled' being probably subjective though as we tend to exert our own worldviews as right, or at least convenient. I view it as a shot of really strong coffee in eastern spirituality, it might make you cringe and stain your teeth, but you'll feel better once its over (one way or the other)
B)
But alternatives are a good idea... just need to find some! To know what topics they have to be alternatives to, you might have to go through it anyway :pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234934 by
It's also good to remember that the purpose of the IP is not necessarily for you to agree with or even enjoy everything. It is there so that prospective Knights may learn a little about you and so that you may learn a little about yourself, even if it's just that you don't like Alan Watts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234953 by
Yes, it is a fireside chat and should be read with that in mind.
For us, the audience of his books or recordings, the difference between his writing and speaking is an important one.

Writing on the meaning of life is perilous for the words get in the way of The Way.
At the end of his life Thomas Aquinas came to realize that all his writings were 'straw'.

Watts is an acquired taste, and I think a taste worth acquiring.

The meaning of the words transcends their identity with the life of the author.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234981 by
IP discussion area was created by
Personally, I had negative effect from Watts. Maybe I'm not alone.

I believe, books can be dangerous. If every lesson which brings discussion has several alternatives, this will decrease possible negative effect.

The meaning of the words transcends their identity with the life of the author.

IMO, words can be trusted only as much as the author. Leo Tolstoy wrote "Resurrection" same time he chased peasant girls.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234985 by
The words are not the author. Lose the author. Find the meaning.

There are better books by Watts: The Watercourse Way

...and better books in general:

The Taoist Body by Kristofer Schipper

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

The Origin of the Work of Art by Martin Heidegger.

...several books on Taoism by Hans-Georg Moeller.

William Butler Yeats.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #234988 by
Maybe, it's just that I don't like philosophy. I'm more of a poetry kind of guy.

Thanks for book references. I shall repost this list to "Jedi Books?" thread.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235017 by
I love Poetry.

Favorites:
  • Percy Shelly
  • Rainer Maria Rilke
  • Pindar
  • Czeslaw Milosz