IP discussion area

More
7 years 8 months ago #254569 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic IP discussion area

Edan wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: Thanks for being honest. From what I know reading up on it, you can continue to study without having to be promoted to Knight. You'd have to work that out with whoever you would like to study under. I myself would have no problem with it

It is likely though that you wouldn't get the apprentice rank bar, you would just find a teacher and agree it with them. If you did change your mind though, you'd have to do an apprenticeship again. And I wonder, why fixed on an apprenticeship but not interested in the IP? Apprenticeships sometime contain lessons you're not keen on or think you can't learn anything from.

It's not so much a dis-interest in the IP, I just feel as though I've gotten to the point that there's not really anything else to...focus on...other then my normal daily routine and continuing a vlog series, and I know there's a lot of stuff behind the scenes not in the IP(or so I hope anyway) so I feel like I...WE should be able to continue that for our own growths if we can.

As far as knighthood. I work fulltime now night shift at an ambulance service in town. I'm still co-owner and assistant director of a 2nd ambulance service. I still own my own web development business that I've toned the hours down on because I get better benefits being full time. I still manage and run a smaller tech support business within that one with an employee and pay the bills/taxes and do all the invoicing/etc stuff on.

Somewhere in there I also find time to continue my path and my daily routine and try and work on my basement which is way behind schedule. The idea of becoming a knight is one thing, the responsibility ontop of everything else I have going and will likely have going for the next couple years, would be highly irresponsible of me given my state of things.(Oh and almost forgot I'll be taking a paramedic course soon to upgrade my license from an I to a P).

So the apprenticeship is very appealing because I know thats still at a go at our own pace, but knighthood and giving apprenceships, thats 2 or more people that would be counting on me to be on time with things, that I can't say I would be able to do.

I still feel that doing the IP and going through apprenticeships should be a thing anyone should be allowed to do, without being required to take on the duties of a knight, almost wish there was a smaller rank below knight once you had achieved that, the knighthood was only possible if you wanted to take on and handle apprenceships of your own, but that all that work and growth didn't just leave you as a member, requiring you to do that process all over again. I still and will probably always see that as a short-fall of the temples' setup.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254570 by Tellahane
thats wierd i did a reply, but its not showing up, but it won't let me repeat the reply..sais its there...testing another reply...

apparantly it wouldn't show page 13 as an option until I added another reply to it...so yeah ignore this one.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Tellahane. Reason: delete me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254588 by
Replied by on topic IP discussion area

Tellahane wrote: thats wierd i did a reply, but its not showing up, but it won't let me repeat the reply..sais its there...testing another reply...

apparantly it wouldn't show page 13 as an option until I added another reply to it...so yeah ignore this one.

You know i cannot :laugh: :woohoo: B)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 8 months ago #254595 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic IP discussion area
I do not understand why there is this thinking that a Knight must take a student...

Some of us are not teachers, and some of us are not.... I am not, lol, but, I do have some things to share, (experiences, lessons I learned, books I thought particularly poignant, etc) so I do teach, albeit, a bit reluctantly, lol... Ive considered stopping more than once, and not sure about any past Hatter... ;)

But, I still thought I was a "knight" long before the IP, before a TOTJO, and before being Knighted here... But I wouldnt call myself one, nor do I know, I am simply Jestor...

There are many ways to teach, some, simply by commenting and posting... Apprentices take up time, not a bad thing, just A thing...

If a Knight has no apprentices, then that should allow them to be a bit more active (life not getting in the way) to browse the forums more, engaging in the discussions...

To be a perpetual student, and not share what you know, seems, "selfish"?

Not that you are Tellahane, just kinda talking, lol... :)

I am still studying, but, now, I watch you guys, (mwa-ah-ahhh) and think about what you do, why you do, and the possibilities of everything, I watch myself too, lol...

Am I blathering now?

:laugh:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Amaya, , Codama

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254596 by
Personally I feel that asking for training from the Temple and not being prepared to give anything back, in the form of activity serving the Temple in some form, is kind of... lopsided and perhaps a little presumptuous. But I'm well aware I'm an outlier in holding that opinion and the vast majority here wouldn't begrudge it.

"I want all the stuff, but I'll be too busy to use it or to contribute something in return" sounds like you're looking for different stuff... what we teach is personal, practical and all about serving across various levels, including this Temple, your community and the wider Force. Again, just one opinion, which is not shared by everyone.

Further I'd be surprised if anyone was very keen to work with a student who has decided they can't be bothered to complete the usual prerequisites to training... we have plenty of Initiates who did, who are yet to find a Master.

Not trying to be harsh, just to give you my straight up opinion. Attitude and intent count for a lot, when it comes to engaging in a voluntary teaching arrangement.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254631 by
Does a person really need to be a knight to "give back" or serve the Temple?

More
7 years 8 months ago #254662 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic IP discussion area

Adi wrote: Does a person really need to be a knight to "give back" or serve the Temple?

No.
When I began here I began to receive and validate a lot of what I had...felt... I was amazed. There is a place query I can ask and find and ask and find and not find validate and Un validate. I was amazed. I wasn't alone. Now in look back 2 years later I see others at the beginning where I once was. As I have learned and grown I find the more that's planted the more that grows. Eventually the seed becomes the sower and a new cycle begins. New things are planted and new things are seen! Isn't that one of the Great gifts of this place?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
7 years 8 months ago #254676 by Jestor

Adi wrote: Does a person really need to be a knight to "give back" or serve the Temple?

No, of course not,lol...

Merely trying to answer this:

Tellahane wrote: So if I complete the IP(half way through it now) and wanted to do an apprenticeship for the sake of doing an apprenticeship and growing as an individual, but not proceed to a knight rank as I do not have the time to commit to the tasks required of a knight, is that a thing?

Can it be a thing?

and we kinda went off on a tangent a bit, :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 8 months ago #254756 by Tellahane

tzb wrote: Further I'd be surprised if anyone was very keen to work with a student who has decided they can't be bothered to complete the usual prerequisites to training... we have plenty of Initiates who did, who are yet to find a Master..

Did somewhere along the way did I mistype somewhere or say that I wasn't going to complete the IP and ask for apprenticeship instead?

I know I've pondered that in the past but as far as the last week or two I've been crunching on the IP for the sake of completing it, I'm on lesson 6 now...which is probably going to be the hardest and longest lesson I do out of the entire IP Personally.

Also as far as Jestor and the idea of knighthood requiring or not requiring apprenticeship, I just spent about 30 minutes or so digging/doing forum searching, looking through faq/articles. There's not really any documentation anywhere here on totjo that sais what a knight's responsibilities are, rather than the knight code itself. However, if you look at the various jedi communities as a whole, its almost a standard, you train, you become and apprentice to a knight, knight/council approves you as your own knight, you take on 2 other apprenticeships, rinse repeat. That though hasn't been said here I'll give you that, but just watching people who have become knights thats the routine. So its auto-assumed to be the case.

I've also seen that explained that way among other members in chat over the years as well so I think maybe thats something that needs more clarity? There was a post that was started here which has some good stuff in it but nothing that was easy to find:

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/115424-jedi-knights-meaning?limitstart=0&start=10

Perhaps a write up and a "What is Knighthood" in the FAQ section, in terms of what the roles of knights are, responsibilities, optional or otherwise, and what you can expect from them and so on couldn't hurt at all? I'm honestly surprised it doesn't exist already...

I also want to point out that the idea of knighthood isn't something thats not appealing to me, I'm just trying to be realistic in pointing out that Should I somehow manage to complete apprenticeship in a year(I highly doubt I would be done in the 6 month minimum timeframe, I'm trying to be real here). I know roughly what my schedule will still likely be in a year, and though a lot can change and nothing is certain, I don't want to start down a path where I'll be required to do extra responsibilities that I may not have the time/ability to put forth the effort those responsibilities deserve, until I know I can...if that makes any sense at all.

But lets move that discussion to PM's or another thread if we need to I don't want to derail this thread any further...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Amaya, Avalon,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
7 years 8 months ago #254764 by Jestor

Also as far as Jestor and the idea of knighthood requiring or not requiring apprenticeship, I just spent about 30 minutes or so digging/doing forum searching, looking through faq/articles. There's not really any documentation anywhere here on totjo that sais what a knight's responsibilities are, rather than the knight code itself. However, if you look at the various jedi communities as a whole, its almost a standard, you train, you become and apprentice to a knight, knight/council approves you as your own knight, you take on 2 other apprenticeships, rinse repeat. That though hasn't been said here I'll give you that, but just watching people who have become knights thats the routine. So its auto-assumed to be the case.

I JOKE! I JOKE!! (kinda I'l go read the rest now, lol...)

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Avalon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi