IP discussion area

More
8 years 8 months ago #199057 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic IP discussion area

Dessel761 wrote: he problem I have is explaining what I have learned. It is also extra intimidating when I read others journals and other posts throughout the forums. Everyone is so well spoken and seem to have no problem putting their thoughts down. Does anyone have any tricks to help with this?

Just say it the way that sounds best to you. Ultimately, you're the only person you've got anything to prove to, and if it sounds good to you, it'll probably sound great to everybody else, too. And if it's not clear enough, well, that's what private-messaged questions are for, right?

You've got this. Don't compare yourself to anybody except who you were five minutes ago. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Rosalyn J, Avalon, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #199076 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic IP discussion area
Like Steam said, just relax. Write your thoughts down as best you can. Another thing, this is not a one shot deal. In the years to come you will return to this material having gained in the areas of experience and knowledge and you will see things you didn't see before.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #202816 by
Replied by on topic IP discussion area
So I have since PM'd 2 other members to get their input but I'm still having difficulty in figuring this one out:

I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console;

So to me this means that I am so well put together mentally (and physically I guess) that I no longer need any help for myself, but instead I help others along life's big journey. Which is great and all but I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I would get to that point. I realize that'd be silly to think that's what it truly means, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what else it could mean aside from just helping someone else out.

Can I get some insight on this or where I should be looking for an idea?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

More
8 years 7 months ago #202817 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic IP discussion area

isisinabi wrote: So I have since PM'd 2 other members to get their input but I'm still having difficulty in figuring this one out:

So to me this means that I am so well put together mentally (and physically I guess) that I no longer need any help for myself, but instead I help others along life's big journey. Which is great and all but I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I would get to that point. I realize that'd be silly to think that's what it truly means, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what else it could mean aside from just helping someone else out.

Can I get some insight on this or where I should be looking for an idea?

Hint: Think - "Empathy"

;)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202818 by
Basically.. Think of others before you consider your own needs. That is the essence of the whole creed. It is a creed of service. I would not suggest over thinking it. If you find yourself ignoring everybody around you and only thinking of helping yourself everyday, maybe take a good look around you.

More
8 years 7 months ago #202820 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic IP discussion area

isisinabi wrote: Can I get some insight on this or where I should be looking for an idea?

I'd just say perhaps it's a function of intention. Some paths use the term 'view' to describe the framework of approaching action in such a way to enable more effective action, whether it be things like improving situational awareness, decision making or manifesting physical action. The creed uses words which have some implicit relationship through semantics and some barely useful structure from syntax, but symbols can also be used.... depending on if a person is more of a visual thinker.... as symbols represent concepts like words do but also can include information to point towards relationships, both internal to the formation of concepts and external to other formations of concepts. Don't ask me to do a symbol of the Creed LOL.
Those mental formations can serve best in various situations, like gateways to accelerate progress. I think the Creed viewed in this way represent's an 'intention gate' to work with developing or refining a tendancy to the ideals they represent, rather then a rule or law. Individually in reality, we can only try our best to meet the idealization we might exert upon ourselves - so any assessment of success should not be to the letter of the tool (in this case literal interpretation of the Creed) but to the intention and effort in the context of the actual circumstance, IMO.
Sorry if I'm being too wordy.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 7 months ago #202821 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic IP discussion area

isisinabi wrote: So I have since PM'd 2 other members to get their input but I'm still having difficulty in figuring this one out:

So to me this means that I am so well put together mentally (and physically I guess) that I no longer need any help for myself, but instead I help others along life's big journey.

Oh no. Nonono. It just means that you go out of your way to tend to the needs of others. You can still get all the help you need from others, just be more willing to give help where you can than to ask for it first. You'll need help on your journey, and we expect you to seek it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202828 by

steamboat28 wrote:

So to me this means that I am so well put together mentally (and physically I guess) that I no longer need any help for myself, but instead I help others along life's big journey.

Oh no. Nonono. It just means that you go out of your way to tend to the needs of others. You can still get all the help you need from others, just be more willing to give help where you can than to ask for it first. You'll need help on your journey, and we expect you to seek it.

Agreed, St. Francis of Assisi (who wrote the original version of this, a prayer) was trying to emphasize a mindset of selflessness and a regard for the needs of others before one's self.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203127 by
Thanks all, I knew I was over thinking it but I wanted to be sure.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203132 by Athena_Undomiel
Replied by Athena_Undomiel on topic IP discussion area

dragonwhisper wrote: As far as the IP goes (off the trending point), I would have appreciated Lesson 3: Meditation, to be placed as the second lesson. I think the knowledge of how to help you find your center/balance, after learning about it through Joseph Campbell's interviews would be helpful. Moving on to The Self after that, may make for an easier transition.

I had to jump in on this discussion-I agree that a lesson in finding center/balance would probably be beneficial to most; even something as basic as identifying what meditation is, different methods, etc. I know that once I hit my road block in the IP, it has benefitted me most finding different methods of meditation and applying them to my daily life, in conjuncture with the IP lesson I got stuck on. The fact that it has taken several weeks of evaluating myself and my surroundings and adjusting put a huge gap in my journal timeline and all in all was very discouraging. I'm finally beyond that and ready to continue with the IP but it has taken a long time for me to find something close to center for me to get the message out of the lesson.
I know that the IP is to be done at it's own pace it's really convenient, but I also understand why some people get frustrated and quit, or leave the Temple. Thankfully, for me, I have an in home resource and guide to help me and I also feel very comfortable talking to some of the Knights and other Members of the Temple.
In short, yes, the IP is excellent, and well structured. It is made clear that we do not have to accomplish it in the suggested order, but I think that openness leads to disorganization and chaos. This can work for some people who have a solid background, or who are capable of more abstract thought patterns, but for most people it is natural to do lessons in the recommended order. Perhaps a lesson could be added before jumping right in with Joseph Campbell because he is so eye-opening and gives so much information, it's easy to lose yourself in it. It's not beneficial to progress to become so questioning of everything in one's life so quickly-I know that the fear of a mental break was a very real concern for me.
Just my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi