IP discussion area

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162693 by
Replied by on topic IP discussion area
Is the speed at which we go through the IP looked at? I mean, I assume it's noticed, but how much does that affect things such as being accepted as an apprentice?

I know that for me I sometimes knock out two or three all at once and then have to go up to a few weeks before I can do the next one, or I'll finish one but spend a week thinking about and refining my answer.

Is there a drawback to taking longer than some others?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162694 by
"Is the speed at which we go through the IP looked at?"
no. jedi roz took about four years, for ex. finished just the other day.

"Is there a drawback to taking longer than some others?" not really, no. in fact, its sorta the opposite. frowned on somewhat for someone to just fly through it, like they gave it no thought at all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162696 by
Depends on the Master, I'd say.

If I were the sort of person who wanted an Apprentice to complete an assignment every couple of days, I might look preferably on "faster" IPs. And the opposite is also true...

My advice would be to do it however is suits you, rather than trying to restrict or increase the rate at which you respond.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172297 by
Hi everyone,

I have a question about Alan Watts, in his quote he talks about the future and past as illusion. But if past and future are both an illusion, how can we be capable to think we have a past? How are we capable to think we have moved an object for example, ''first it stood there, now it stands there'' How can it be that it is all in the present?

I would love to understand this quote a bit better. Thanks in advance!

~ Aqua

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
― Alan W. Watts
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172300 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic IP discussion area

Aqua wrote: Hi everyone,

I have a question about Alan Watts, in his quote he talks about the future and past as illusion. But if past and future are both an illusion, how can we be capable to think we have a past? How are we capable to think we have moved an object for example, ''first it stood there, now it stands there'' How can it be that it is all in the present?

Provocative question Aqua. The past only exists if we think about it, in other words, it exits only in the mind, and not independent from it.

The object in question, it was moved in the NOW, and when you remember it, you remember it NOW. The event in question now only exists in thought, unless captured on some external form of media. Memories most certainly exist, the time frame in which they originally occured is gone, and no longer in existence...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172301 by

~ Aqua

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
― Alan W. Watts

Personally, I think he's saying that both only really exist in our minds at the present moment. The past doesn't exist because it's gone and the future doesn't exist because it's not here yet. We can think about both because we have the ability to think about things that don't exist (mythical animals for example). He's not saying that the past didn't happen or that the future won't. He's just saying that they aren't present which means that they don't exist currently.

Think back to a time when you had an argument with someone about a past event. You may have argued about what exactly happened because you remember it differently (happens to me and my girlfriend all the time. Apparently her memory is a lot better than mine. LOL). To both of you your versions of it were real but obviously only one of you can be correct (possible to argue this point due to perception, but go with me here). This is an example of the past being an illusion.

Just my thoughts. I hope it helped.

More
9 years 4 months ago #172302 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic IP discussion area

Aqua wrote: But if past and future are both an illusion, how can we be capable to think we have a past?

The past only exists in our memories.
The future only exists in our imagination.
The present is all we really have. It is, however, shaped by the things that happened before it.

If you hit a chair, and it makes a dent, then that happens "now."
Ten minutes later, the dent is still there, but you aren't still hitting it. In this way, the past shapes the future, but we're only ever seeing the present.

I hope that made more sense to you than it sounded like it did to me.lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, a67

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172311 by
I'm really glad this is a thread because I am having a lot of trouble listening to those Joseph Campbell interviews...mostly because of Bill Moyers lol.

More
9 years 4 months ago #172312 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic IP discussion area

Oneiros wrote: I'm really glad this is a thread because I am having a lot of trouble listening to those Joseph Campbell interviews...mostly because of Bill Moyers lol.

Bill does seem to miss the point every once in a while. Is there anything specific giving you trouble?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172314 by

Goken wrote:

~ Aqua

― Alan W. Watts

Personally, I think he's saying that both only really exist in our minds at the present moment. The past doesn't exist because it's gone and the future doesn't exist because it's not here yet. We can think about both because we have the ability to think about things that don't exist (mythical animals for example). He's not saying that the past didn't happen or that the future won't. He's just saying that they aren't present which means that they don't exist currently.

Think back to a time when you had an argument with someone about a past event. You may have argued about what exactly happened because you remember it differently (happens to me and my girlfriend all the time. Apparently her memory is a lot better than mine. LOL). To both of you your versions of it were real but obviously only one of you can be correct (possible to argue this point due to perception, but go with me here). This is an example of the past being an illusion.

Just my thoughts. I hope it helped.

'' The past doesn't exist'' >> ''He's not saying that the past didn't happen'' Now you get me wondering :blink:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi