TOTJO Volunteer Corp

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269498 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
Another suggestion for a charity effort that can be executed worldwide by any TOTJO member would be a blood drive. Most of us should be able to find a donor center near us. If we were to coordinate a specific day for donating and encourage members to give blood and also encourage other donors to participate, it could create a collective impact measured in gallons of blood donated in the name of TOTJO.

Blood banks will generally support efforts like this with the advertising and promotional tools available to them if it means they will get more donations to meet their needs.

Just a thought...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #269501 by Leah Starspectre

Senan wrote: Another suggestion for a charity effort that can be executed worldwide by any TOTJO member would be a blood drive. Most of us should be able to find a donor center near us. If we were to coordinate a specific day for donating and encourage members to give blood and also encourage other donors to participate, it could create a collective impact measured in gallons of blood donated in the name of TOTJO.

Blood banks will generally support efforts like this with the advertising and promotional tools available to them if it means they will get more donations to meet their needs.

Just a thought...

I LOVE THIS IDEA
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269525 by
Indy Jedi, as a group, does charity work. :) We would love to participate in some way. Even if I'm not there, I can pass the word along.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago #269547 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Brenna wrote: Yes, I'd agree.

But its not a case of TOTJO taking credit. Shes an ambassador even if shes not with the whole group.

Is she an ambassador of TotJO or is she an ambassador of Jediism in general? There is a distinction there I think.

Only of TOTJO if she is willing to do it as a member of TOTJO. The problem with Jediism is that there is no "single" jediism. And I would not for a moment we presume to represent the whole thing. We can only represent ourselves.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 3 months ago #269562 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Senan wrote: Another suggestion for a charity effort that can be executed worldwide by any TOTJO member would be a blood drive.

There are some fan communities that actually make contests of this--they challenge other clubs to see who can get the most donations, and in the end no matter who succeeds, life wins.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269565 by
You guys got me thinking. I guess I just created a scholarship for members of a couple of mental health groups in AL to pay for ongoing education. Theres a big problem with people with a serious mental illness not graduating college or attaining pro certifications, and its getting more and more expensive. So I put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

$500 to be dispersed to (whoever 'wins' it) in late Jan. My only request is that they use it towards funding an education , attain gainful employment, then make a scholarship of their own. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Edit: please move this if its derailing. I didnt want to start a new thread. Its this thread that gave me the idea.

Edit 2: I will do another one in April for members of TOTJO, same deal. I guess I will start a new thread for that one.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269567 by

Brenna wrote: Only of TOTJO if she is willing to do it as a member of TOTJO. The problem with Jediism is that there is no "single" jediism. And I would not for a moment we presume to represent the whole thing. We can only represent ourselves.

I would agree. And because of that I would say, TotJO cannot take any sort of credit or imply an association for any Jedi that are engaged in any sort of charity work for any groups except in the case where those Jedi are specifically engaged to perform said charity work by direct commission of the TotJO council or their duly appointed representatives. To do so would invite the premise that outside entities could and would associate anyone claiming to be Jedi with the TotJO and its efforts to legitimize its prescribed tenets of Jediism no matter whether those "Jedi's" actions adequately represented TotJO interests and doctrine or not.

However that’s also not to say the temple can’t take individual efforts of temple members, upon their approval, and put those into a PR release as a praise to what individual TotJO Jedi are doing in their communities. But this is really just a positive reflection on Jediism itself, not of the practices of the temple specifically because those efforts were not commissioned by the temple itself. The temple should not take the spotlight off those individual efforts by associating those efforts as having come about as a direct effort of TotJO. That would be disingenuous.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago #269568 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Desolous wrote: You guys got me thinking. I guess I just created a scholarship for members of a couple of mental health groups in AL to pay for ongoing education. Theres a big problem with people with a serious mental illness not graduating college or attaining pro certifications, and its getting more and more expensive. So I put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

$500 to be dispersed to (whoever 'wins' it) in late Jan. My only request is that they use it towards funding an education , attain gainful employment, then make a scholarship of their own. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Edit: please move this if its derailing. I didnt want to start a new thread. Its this thread that gave me the idea.

Edit 2: I will do another one in April for members of TOTJO, same deal. I guess I will start a new thread for that one.

#jediknight

That's amazing Des. And I think it needs to be formalized. I'll Pm you.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269570 by

Brenna wrote: #jediknight

As much as I make fun of the use of hashtags and only really use them ironically, this kind of hashtag would actually be useful in making what we're doing known. Take a picture of yourself doing whatever charitable thing you're doing with some reference to TOTJO and use an agreed upon hashtag like #jediknight or something.

Possible hashtags could include:
#jediknight
#TOTJOjedi
#TOTJO

That would be a simple way to "spread the word" so to speak and allow the various activities to be grouped together in searches on social media and the like.

More
7 years 3 months ago #269583 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I apologise if this has already come up, I am just skimming this morning -

I don't believe TotJO has much presence in Australia, or made any applications for any recognition here (nor does it really interest me)

but for the sake of conversation -

Let's say I'm a volunteer with my local rural fire service.

What would be:

A. The method of linking this activity with my membership at TotJO?
B. The benefit of linking this activity with my membership at TotJO?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi