TOTJO Volunteer Corp

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269190 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Trisskar wrote: Another question for the pot (not to be answered now, but to be considered Later)

How does this work for Jedi who represent more than one group? Myself I stand for at least three groups.

I would think that wider positive recognition on the whole would be the most beneficial to all groups. Maybe make shirts that are for your specific group/s that you participate in. Setting up a buy site with T-Shirt designs is pretty easy. Normally you don't have to buy inventory as it's easy to print them off now, and we could pick something to benefit from proceeds from shirt purchases. Open up the site for public purchase. But have versions that are made specifically for volunteers as well.

Also, if we want big recognition, we need to get the attention of groups that rate charitable organizations. Making it to the top of their lists gets a lot of public view. So keeping the margins as skinny as possible is good.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269192 by
We should definitely get to work on a few T shirt and sticker designs. I'm not sure how much "marketing" we can do as a non profit, but we should have flyers available in a PDF that we can all print, with a T-shirt, Sticker, and ebook store.

We could be hitting it way harder, but once again I'm unsure about non profit restrictions, or if we would be opening ourselves up to copyright strikes. Anyways, that's a discussion for another thread lol.

Even if we can't advertise TOTJO yet, we should still be doing charity work regardless.

More
7 years 4 months ago #269195 by Alethea Thompson
Not sure if it's been brought up: But what about something you can do online?

When a disaster strikes in my area (Hurricane) I've posted that I am more than willing to put my training to use and help connect people with resources they might need in their area. No one has taken me up on it yet, but it IS something that I am capable of accomplishing without being in person (and even now have a degree in- Emergency Management).

I'm not saying this is something you all might consider doing- but hopefully it will get you to think outside of the box. Such as all the talents that are in this order- Look at Kit. She organized her own small fundraiser for ToTJO, using her personal talents and skills to provide something back. Perhaps there is something that each of you could contribute in terms of goods to a ToTJO-esque store.

Knights of Awakening, today, began talking about doing some sort of fundraising event where we bring some awareness to UNICEF. It's nothing big, but it's something we are willing to attempt.

Lots of ideas. And as we get more people in specific regions, we can pool group efforts towards specific charitable causes in person. But why not start out with what you have?

Personally, I kinda like the ToTJO store idea. Find a good cause to put the money toward.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269196 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Not sure if it's been brought up: But what about something you can do online?

When a disaster strikes in my area (Hurricane) I've posted that I am more than willing to put my training to use and help connect people with resources they might need in their area. No one has taken me up on it yet, but it IS something that I am capable of accomplishing without being in person (and even now have a degree in- Emergency Management).

I know there is crowdfunding, and many charities have online donation options.

We can even work on a disaster kit that can be sent through the mail to a local distributer. (Non perishables, small med kit, blankets, candles, ect)

There are a ton of possibilities for such a thing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269203 by
I think this thread has become a bit self serving. Are we doing charity work for the benefit of our brothers and sisters and animal friends or as a marketing and advertising campaign for TotJO?

More
7 years 4 months ago #269204 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I think this thread has become a bit self serving. Are we doing charity work for the benefit of our brothers and sisters and animal friends or as a marketing and advertising campaign for TotJO?

A valid point. I see no benefit in handing out TOTJO brochures at all, nor in being recognized by people for wearing TOTJO T-Shirts (those would be cool for us to wear, but not to proselytize).

I like the idea of pitching in efforts to an existing charity; it's probably more efficient in terms of resources and making sure efforts go to actually helping others

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #269206 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I think this thread has become a bit self serving. Are we doing charity work for the benefit of our brothers and sisters and animal friends or as a marketing and advertising campaign for TotJO?

That seems a little harsh. Especially as we discussing ways to get more of our members involved in altruistic acts.

but, you have highlighted part the issue that has prevented many from doing volunteer service, and prevented the charity commission from being able to see that we as a group provide public benefit ;)

Intention, honesty and service are the key focuses if we want to be of actual use as a group.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Brenna.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269207 by

Why not both? There is a limit to what we can accomplish at our current size. A bold approach can bring more help to more people who need it.

If we just try to market without helping, then there are problems. But if we intend to reach a broader base we are going to need to be confident with it.

Just my thoughts on it. There is a lot we can do without being loud, it's just limiting.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269211 by

If TOTJO wants to be recognized as a charity - TOTJO has to do Charity under its own banner so as to be recognized in the act in order to get the legal benafits its looking for.

Sucks.

But thats how this stuff works.

There are many many many many Jedi who do charity all on there own and do great great service for the public at large.....but because it dosn't have TOTJO plastered all over it, we see the results.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269212 by
I didn't mean to hijack the thread or take anything away from those who do charity work outside the TOTJO banner.

I know I am new so I might be wrong in this, but I've seen concerns on our credibility as a religion, and our need to reach more people eventually. This can't really happen unless we focus on branding at least a little bit. You don't have to participate in that if you don't want to, and it's ultimately up to upper council whether they want to proceed in that direction, but it will need to happen at some point if we want to increase our base or support.

Getting out there and saying "This is what we do. We help people." Is a great way to spread awareness on what we stand for, while still making a difference in people's lives for the better.

Money and recognition can be self serving and unjust, but it can also mean the difference between helping a few dozen people, and setting up the infrastructure to help hundreds.

I'm dragging this off topic, so I'll regress and we can get back to the topic of what we can do charity wise for the near term. If you'd like to discuss further I'd be happy to chat in mail or a debate thread.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi