TOTJO Volunteer Corp

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269131 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Brenna wrote: Well, that's not too hard to work out. And could give us a good reason to encourage more contact between local groups.

For example, earlier this year one of our Texan Jedi posted that he was doing a charity fun run and was looking for participants. It was very last minute when he shared it so I wasn't able to be there, but if I had known a couple days in advance I would have taken my whole family and done it with him.

Simple things like identifying something that's going on in your area and letting the Jedi nearest you know could be a great way to start.

But even individuals make an impact. If you're volunteering somewhere, wear your TOTJO patch (I know a great Jedi who makes them!) Get a couple pictures, share it with the temple.

Start as you are.

I'm moving to Texas in a few months. As I understand it there are a few of us that reside in the state?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269133 by
I am in Texas right now, and I usually am from May to August and for the month of December.

It would be possible yeah.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 4 months ago #269134 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
Yup. There's at least half a dozen of us just in DFW :)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269136 by
I'll be in SA, but I go to DFW every couple months anyways. The drive will be slightly longer, but the Father-in-Law lives in the area.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269151 by
I think its a fantastic idea, and probably overdue. We can all work out the exact logistics over time.

A councilor level question is: can volunteering count towards the BDiv degree requirements? I personally would be more motivated to do so if there was that tangible benefit.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 4 months ago #269153 by Brenna
That's a good question. And I think that on the whole there are certainly potential benefits to having it count.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
7 years 4 months ago #269155 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

6h057 wrote:

Goken wrote: When I volunteer with the bank I work for they have me wear a shirt that says that I'm a volunteer and that I'm with the bank. Obviously being a bank it's better funded, but if the point is to draw attention to the fact that it's TOTJO Jedi volunteering that would be a route to take. There needs to be something that identifies the volunteers as coming from TOTJO, otherwise it's no different than how things are now.

The easiest way of identifying us in person is T-Shirts.

Love the T-shirt idea! I would definitely wear one, though I'm probably the only Jedi in Ecuador at the time. :silly:

Any idea as to what kind of social work we would help out with?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 4 months ago #269156 by Brenna
Well considering the time of year, soup kitchens and food drives are a good place to start.

Google and social media are your friends here. Do a search to see what's needed in your area and call up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269157 by
What kind of charity would we be getting into? We may have missed the bus on the Christmas/Holiday charity opportunity, but people will be hungry and in need year round.

I know of a few local camps in Arizona where veterans have set up tents. I'm sure there are places like that all over if you are supportive of that kind of thing.

I know a few places like to give blankets and warm drinks to the homeless around here for winter as well.

We don't even have to mobilize as a group. Even if we just join already existing charities in our respective areas it is still doing the right thing. I think the shirt idea is great and can really work great with that option. I'm not sure how we would do that without interfering with our non profit status though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269159 by
Actually there are alot of local charity groups with some great ideas.

Adopt a Family for Christmas for example.

Some people don't have the money or nearby families to spend christmas with...so you adopt them into your christmas calibrations, cook them a meal, do christmasy things, give them some presents.

This is also done for thanksgiving. Give families in need a basket of thanksgiving meals.

You can search on Facebook for local Charity groups

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi