• User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago #269584 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I love hashtags. Ironically and otherwise

But you make an excellent point. The charity commission complained we were all online, but that is part of our stength so let's use it!

I like those. Do you think we need a specific one for the volunteer Corp or more general like the plain #TOTJO ?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 3 months ago #269587 by Brenna

JamesSand wrote: I apologise if this has already come up, I am just skimming this morning -

I don't believe TotJO has much presence in Australia, or made any applications for any recognition here (nor does it really interest me)

but for the sake of conversation -

Let's say I'm a volunteer with my local rural fire service.

What would be:

A. The method of linking this activity with my membership at TotJO?
B. The benefit of linking this activity with my membership at TotJO?

Excellent questions. At this point there is no official answer. Don't forget this thread started yesterday so we're still working on this, but my suggestion would be that for now, in any way that your comfortable doing it.

You could wear something with the TOTJO logo during your service. Share experiences with us here on the forums (something we can use as stories for potential media and to share on our social media to help inspire others) Pictures of the activities featuring the logo and hash tags on social media. Etc. you could get a group of local Jedi together and fundraise for the fire department.

The benefit to you? Nothing really. You're already doing it :D and that's sort of the point. But you'd get to help us build up our community impact and hopefully inspire others to do the same.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269588 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I wouldn't use #JediKnight Its not only very connected to star wars fans and merchandising but its also too generalized. Jedi Knights is not just a TOTJO thing....many online groups use Knight ranks.

#totjocharity
#totjo

would be perfect though

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 3 months ago #269589 by Brenna
But if the point is to be seen then in addition to the specific "TOTJO" tags we'd need to use more generic ones too. Only people who already know what we're doing are ever going to search for that tag.

We might have to stalk the storm trooper charity group and see what they use :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269590 by
i don't know how Hash tags really work.....So I .... suppose. Id think #totjojediknight would be more adiquite though?

.....and apparently i cant spell for heck today.....

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 3 months ago #269591 by Brenna

Trisskar wrote: i don't know how Hash tags really work.....So I .... suppose. Id think #totjojediknight would be more adiquite though?

.....and apparently i cant spell for heck today.....

Well it's kind of like turning the Internet into your own database by applying metadata to anything you like. Sort of like a search function. By putting #jedi as a hash tag it means that anyone who's looking at Jedi related things will come across it in their search. It's rather genius actually ☺️

Lol. I think my nerd is showing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269597 by
Hashtags are an excellent way to use social media to gain attention for a cause. The key is to use one hashtag consistently to identify the organization (#TOTJO) and then use it in conjunction with popular or trending hashtags that get a lot of attention (#volunteer).

Example:

#TOTJO Jedi JamesSand helps out his local rural fire service in #Australia. How do you #volunteer?

Attachment SampleTweet.jpg not found

This way if people search #TOTJO they will find all references to us, but they will also see our posts if they happen to search #volunteer or #Australia. If we can manage to weave in trending hashtags, it will go even further.

Tagging accounts with a lot of followers can help posts go viral as well.

Example:

#TOTJO Jedi are collecting donations for @RedCross to help victims of recent storms. Message us to learn more. #charity #volunteer

Attachment SampleTweet2.jpg not found

Tagging @RedCross means they will see our post and might re-tweet it to their own 3.6 million followers.

These strategies work best with Twitter, but can be used with Facebook as well.

My nerd is DEFINITELY showing :P
Attachments:

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269598 by Brenna
And you're hired. Report to the Pr department in the morning please :D

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269602 by
Anything I can do to help! I do this stuff all day on social media accounts for five different radio stations so I've learned a few tricks ;) We use it a lot for fundraising and charity too. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, or I'll just barge into the PR meeting and take over everything :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269605 by
Yea, Senan...Thats more of how I thought it went and why I didn't think Jedi Knights would work...coz its not specifically identifying TOTJO in conjunction of other popular hash tags.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi