TOTJO Volunteer Corp

More
7 years 3 months ago #269606 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
Since Master Brenna is already head of TOTJO's PR/Marketing, any sort of social media and outreach questions seem fair to ask her. On the other hand, coordinating volunteer efforts seems like it ought to be a separate office so poor Brenna doesn't get overwhelmed.
In terms of "double-dipping" volunteer efforts, it seems like we should have an official policy of not hijacking another group's event, but still can represent TOTJO by wearing gear.
The point of charity is doing good by other people, so don't let all the semantics get in the way of that

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269607 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Rex wrote: Since Master Brenna is already head of TOTJO's PR/Marketing, any sort of social media and outreach questions seem fair to ask her. On the other hand, coordinating volunteer efforts seems like it ought to be a separate office so poor Brenna doesn't get overwhelmed.
In terms of "double-dipping" volunteer efforts, it seems like we should have an official policy of not hijacking another group's event, but still can represent TOTJO by wearing gear.
The point of charity is doing good by other people, so don't let all the semantics get in the way of that

I second both of those motions! :P

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago #269608 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rex wrote: Since Master Brenna is already head of TOTJO's PR/Marketing, any sort of social media and outreach questions seem fair to ask her. On the other hand, coordinating volunteer efforts seems like it ought to be a separate office so poor Brenna doesn't get overwhelmed.

I second both of those motions! :P

Thirded!!

So, a volunteer to coordinate and organize the volunteers efforts please!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
7 years 3 months ago #269662 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I put up one picture.... :D Actually I did it because Obi is cute and always gets the attention....

Honestly though becoming a part of the SAR team is EXACTLY me living the doctrine here. I don't spend a tremendous amount of time here, I do dedicate a couple hours per week here as I can but I'm not monitoring the forums 24-7. I also live no where near large population centers. Everything for me is a minimum four hour drive. So as an individual Knight how do I contribute with a unique skill set that really does not have a place here? I find an organization that can use it as I felt that I needed to do something outside of sitting on my labtop. I do donate my hours of talking to and working with the youth so if that needs to be tracked I can do that. That is all document-able to a charity. Perhaps all of us in officer/councilor positions should track that?

So yes, I'm not donating those hours for TOTJO but TOTJO could certainly say that we require our members to participate outside of the temple in some form if they are not donating directly to the temples goals. Many of us do SAR/EMS/Fire/LE either as part of our jobs or as volunteers and I think that is something that TOTJO could certainly point to.

Now if the temple wanted me to put a TOTJO order patch on Obi's gear.....sure, I'm happy to have him as an ambassador. He's pretty awesome at licking faces, besides being a great search dog. I have my own knight patch on my purse, someday I'd love to have someone look at me and go "Wait....your from......" until we get more well known I'm sure that won't happen but I can't wait for the day it does.....;)

My whole point of my post was that many of us already donate a lot of our time to help humanity and that is something that TOTJO could certainly point to in individual members. That was all. ;)

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269664 by

J_Roz wrote: My whole point of my post was that many of us already donate a lot of our time to help humanity and that is something that TOTJO could certainly point to in individual members. That was all. ;)

I think honestly thats the biggest thing. Its great to encourage more members to do charity....

But it is ok to point to specific members to news and legal folk and say "Seee? We do actually do charity."

More
7 years 3 months ago #269665 by J_Roz

Trisskar wrote:

J_Roz wrote:
But it is ok to point to specific members to news and legal folk and say "Seee? We do actually do charity."

Sure if the individual member is alright with that. I realize some may not be and that is okay as well. However the temple does have some pretty outstanding folks here and I feel we need to be able to recognize that.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Firefly Series

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269666 by
It is a rather kick in the teeth that legal and news authorities make such claims. That we don't serve the public ect ect.

In TOTJO's case its harder because members are very......ummm.....secluded? XD haha So it is hard to point out examples.

In other community areas of the Jedi, especially the offline chapters, service to the public is like a common theme XD Chicago Jedi for example

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269667 by
Heck....2014 Gathering donated $200 to medical research runs......

More
7 years 3 months ago #269668 by J_Roz
Yes! Trisskar, those are all things that we could point to.

Sorry I'm still getting used to the new site and quoting isn't working right on my lab top.

Now granted those things were all done prior but perhaps this next year the Temple starts to track stuff like that.

Now in a gathering there are many Jedi groups so it would have to be labeled something to the effect of "Members of TOTJO along with other organizations were able to raise $200 to donate to medical research"

Those are all things we could track for sure. :D

Firefly Series

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269669 by

J_Roz wrote: Now in a gathering there are many Jedi groups so it would have to be labeled something to the effect of "Members of TOTJO along with other organizations were able to raise $200 to donate to medical research"

Those are all things we could track for sure. :D

.........Used to have a website specific to this sort of thing XD

Ah.... c'est la vie

I will do what I can for all things outside of TOTJO. I am not sure im in a position here to archive/document that sort of information though? A Knight task...maybe?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi