Have you killed a human ??

More
7 years 7 months ago #254262 by Kit

Alethea Thompson wrote: He only said he's not met one he likes. But he's not saying he won't. I understand wanting to change his mind, but his values are his- shaped by his culture. If our culture doesn't mesh, it doesn't mesh.

As Americans, we really shouldn't be offended when others make a sweeping judgement of our country- at this point it's expected. People like us or hate us. It's all preference.

Offended, perhaps not. But that doesn't mean we can't call someone out for it :) I'd hope someone would point out the big paintbrushes I'm using on folks, coloring everyone with the same idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Reacher
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254263 by Alethea Thompson
That's fair. (To both Gwinnett and Kit)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reacher, Kit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254273 by
Replied by on topic Have you killed a human ??

Silas Mercury wrote: I hate to say it but I agree with Murusaki .... I have never met an American that i liked.

I have a lot of American friends because I build astromech and MSE droids, but they are on the same page as me, its the ones that think because they are born in the US they are higher then anyone else on the planet are the ones I like to take down big time. I have run in to so many US military here in Japan that think you as a non-American should fear them and show them respect, and all have ended up pinned to the ground with my boot across their necks. They think they are the only military trained in Japan ... pfff ...I am not Anti-American ... I am Anti-Moron!
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .
More
7 years 7 months ago #254274 by Alethea Thompson

I have run in to so many US military here in Japan that think you as a non-American should fear them and show them respect, and all have ended up pinned to the ground with my boot across their necks.

*smirks* Because this makes you sound real cool.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254276 by
Replied by on topic Have you killed a human ??

Alethea Thompson wrote: *smirks* Because this makes you sound real cool.

I had a job to do, and if I give some arse wipe yank a order and they tried to big note themselves by saying the same BS I have heard for close to 10 years which is "Im a Seal and I will f**k you up" I show them what getting f**k up is like, the US guys here think they can fight with anyone that disagrees with them, and they are higher then anyone else, and it lands them in more trouble then they can poke a stick at. Having worked in Africa along side US forces I can honestly say they may have the best toys but when it comes to combat they are as useless as tits on a bull. No wonder they do the spray and pray move, better to send 30 rounds down on a group of people then 1 round on the target, because hey killing innocent people you just might also hit the target ... Personally Americans should not be allowed to have any weapon more dangerous then a table spoon, and the way you carry on Alethea Thompson you should not even be allowed that, must be great Alethea knowing that the US has been responsible for the death of 30 million people around the world since then end of WWII, most of them innocent people, women and children. Now crawl back under that rock you crawled out from. Thank You!
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .
More
7 years 7 months ago #254277 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Have you killed a human ??
Guys. Personal arguments. Private. Please....

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Zenchi, MadHatter
More
7 years 7 months ago #254278 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Have you killed a human ??
Can everyone stay on topic, please....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Avalon, MadHatter
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254280 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Have you killed a human ??
I'm generally against furthering the derailment of a thread from its original topic, but once in awhile I find an exception.

This thread is one of those exceptions.

I'm weighing the quality of the original topic, how far the thread has already departed from that topic, and how much we might gain from addressing a thing or two that has applicability to all of us here. Could I split the thread and go elsewhere? *shrug* Maybe, but I'll assume some risk and not. I trust that my main man mods and editors (Jestor, Master Wescli, Adder, who I sometimes call my Additor) will set me aright if they disagree with me - and that's fine by me.

Anyway, one of the things I *LOVE* to do is read through an older thread from start to finish. I don't think I'm alone in this. It's enlightening to watch ideas develop, think about what might be going through a particular poster's head as they write, and munch proverbial popcorn while sparks fly and cycles of thought continue. What I'm driving at is this: when we post here, it isn't like a verbal conversation that dissipates and is gone - the forums remember. I am responsible for the things I wrote here four years ago. Sure, my thinking may have shifted dramatically since then, but the strengths and weaknesses of my ideas can still affect anyone who cares to go back through and look. I hope people DO go back through and consider an entire collective train(wreck?) of thought so they can decide for themselves what they believe. So as you post, keep that in mind. "Ideas, not people", is the going policy for that very reason. When you go ad hominem, at best you're creating more for me to sort through and disregard when reading. At worst you're actively undercutting your own ideas by demonstrating a lapse in bearing and telling me the strength of your position isn't enough to carry the day. Sure, you may win some points - but that is fleeting. You're actually playing a much larger, longer game and don't realize it.

Looking through this context lens, I return to the issues in this thread - a few things:

First, a sweeping statement about race, nationality, religion, or large groups of people usually speaks volumes more about the speaker than it does the group.

Second, before posting for all to see, consider a moment why a person or idea makes you angry. You may learn something. I wish I remember who in this community wrote that some time ago - I'd love to give you credit for it.

Lastly, confidence is quiet. Insecurity is loud. Aspire to write in such a way that the weight of your ideas and your ability to convey them are so great that you only have to address them once - whatever follows will merely be commentary.

I hope this was worth the read for one or two. We have an awesome community here and part of that awesomeness is a solid compass check from time to time. Then again, your mileage may vary - this may not have been a solid compass check at all. Either way, thanks again for reading. I'll be over here coloring!

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Reacher. Reason: Seismogophy and tincture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Wescli Wardest, Kit, Avalon, Carlos.Martinez3
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254282 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Have you killed a human ??
Hey folks please avoid trying to offend people, either individually or as groups. It's important to remember the rules, and if you have not read them pls go read them at https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/termsofuseandrules

"TotJO is a place for spiritual enlightenment, self discovery and discussion of many varied and wide ranging topics. Here at TotJO we debate arguments not personalities and ideas instead of people.

Everyone makes mistake and it is not simply a case of one breach of the rules and your account is suspended.The people for whom this rule applies are those who are persistent and do so in a flagrant manner, even after unofficial and official warnings about it.

It demonstrates negative traits in an individual namely disrespect for fellow users and lack of control of oneself. 'Heat of the moment' is not a viable excuse, for as Jedi one must possess more control.

So, please think about what you have typed before sending. Show your respect and consideration for your fellow Temple members by simply maintaining the self-restraint to not swear."

"Please note also that swearing is not the only way to offend. One can be just as demeaning and derogatory without resorting to swear words. These cases are as equally inappropriate and are covered under the same regulation on the forum."

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Reacher, Avalon, MadHatter
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254284 by Alethea Thompson

Reacher wrote: Lastly, confidence is quiet. Insecurity is loud. Aspire to write in such a way that the weight of your ideas and your ability to convey them are so great that you only have to address them once - whatever follows will merely be commentary.

Mind if I throw that in the Force Realists quotes thread at FA?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reacher
Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi