IP discussion area

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146155 by
Replied by on topic IP discussion area
Interesting, I am also kind sad that that was first time I was learning something about meditation. However, I wonder how receptive each individual is to the idea of meditation after the first lesson. It kind of depends on your background, right? :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #146157 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic IP discussion area
For sure...:)

I think it tells you [in the IP] that the order is a suggestion, and it can be done in any order....

Or it used to....

Does it still? :unsure:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #146166 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic IP discussion area

Jestor wrote: For sure...:)

I think it tells you [in the IP] that the order is a suggestion, and it can be done in any order....

Or it used to....

Yes but is also says/implies that it would be difficult to find a master for an apprenticeship if the journal is out of order. Something like that. I perused the order when I began the IP and decided I wanted to do the first lesson first, and then I skipped ahead to the essays, You can see how messy my journal is ;) but it's what I wanted to work on at that time. I skimmed the meditation lesson and realized it wouldn't teach me more than I had already learned after living in a Buddhist country for 4 years and studying Tai Chi for a while in my tweens, ECK for a while when I was a kid, things like that.

There are a couple of questions that have only one answer and so they are really a waste of time if you know the answers. Like "What is the Hero's Adventure?" and the answer is pretty much what Campbell says. I mean it's nice to reflect on what you've learned but to answer the question you just reword what Campbell said. So it's boring for some people who like to engage in activities higher up on Bloom's taxonomy such as: analysis, synthesis, characterizing, etc. Maybe add the words "or write an analysis, synthesis, or characterization of the Hero's Adventure"

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Whyte Horse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146168 by

Or it used to....

Yes.

FAQ wrote: 9 . DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE INITIATES PROGRAMME QUESTIONS IN ORDER?

Lessons in the Initiates Programme do not have to be completed in the order they are presented. However it is advised that you do so, because some of the content of the lessons follows a logical order and you may get more out of it by following that order. There are also organisational advantages to completing and posting each lesson in the order it appears.

From this it is implied that there would be a complication in doing them out of order and unless the individual has some familiarity with the material prior to beginning their initiate they probably wouldn't have the foresight to do the mediation prior to anything else.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #146174 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Re: IP discussion area

Whyte Horse wrote:

Or it used to....

Yes but is also says/implies that it would be difficult to find a master for an apprenticeship if the journal is out of order. Something like that. I perused the order when I began the IP and decided I wanted to do the first lesson first, and then I skipped ahead to the essays, You can see how messy my journal is ;) but it's what I wanted to work on at that time. I skimmed the meditation lesson and realized it wouldn't teach me more than I had already learned after living in a Buddhist country for 4 years and studying Tai Chi for a while in my tweens, ECK for a while when I was a kid, things like that.

There are a couple of questions that have only one answer and so they are really a waste of time if you know the answers. Like "What is the Hero's Adventure?" and the answer is pretty much what Campbell says. I mean it's nice to reflect on what you've learned but to answer the question you just reword what Campbell said. So it's boring for some people who like to engage in activities higher up on Bloom's taxonomy such as: analysis, synthesis, characterizing, etc. Maybe add the words "or write an analysis, synthesis, or characterization of the Hero's Adventure"

Jamie Stick wrote:

FAQ wrote: 9 . DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE INITIATES PROGRAMME QUESTIONS IN ORDER?

Lessons in the Initiates Programme do not have to be completed in the order they are presented. However it is advised that you do so, because some of the content of the lessons follows a logical order and you may get more out of it by following that order. There are also organisational advantages to completing and posting each lesson in the order it appears.

From this it is implied that there would be a complication in doing them out of order and unless the individual has some familiarity with the material prior to beginning their initiate they probably wouldn't have the foresight to do the mediation prior to anything else.

Ah...

The wording has changed since I read it last... Im sure council approved its change, but we have a lot going on and a lot of changes and in reading things different, this was missed, :lol#
:...

This may need reworked.... ["may" as in DOES, lol...]

Whyte Horse, I checked MANY out of order journals and never complained...;)

Now, more people check them and they don't care about the order either....

While it [parts of, or all of, the IP] might seem elementary to some, like kindergarten to a highschooler, all that "staying inside the lines and left right, and B-I-N-G-O stuff isn't easy for all the kindergartners... lol....

Yet, I see great joy on adults faces when they color with the youngsters...

I wonder why some lose the joy of the basics... "When I was a child, I thought as a child, when I turned into a adult, I put away childish things." And all that, I wonder?

Anyway....

To someone like me, with no basis for any of this stuff, I think the order of the IP is pretty good...

I do like revisiting the basics too though, makes for a stronger foundation... Lol...

You [Horse and others] seem pretty solid in your path, the IP may not offer you much...

But, there are still people in need of the basics...

If its too easy [I'm addressing anyone], get it done, and move on to the harder lessons, like apprenticeship... Breeze through that? Move on to the EVEN more difficult lessons of knighthood, that still too easy? Move on to the most difficult of lessons, teaching....;)

That is one tough lesson, :lol:....

Teaching isnt "dictating lessons" not if you are doing it right....:)

Sitting on your ass, thinking how wise you [anyone, not directed at anyone particular] are does little to further anyone's knowledge....

Does that make sense to anyone, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Amaya,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146189 by
for me, being CDO (that's OCD but in alphabetical order :side: ) I am releasing/posting to my journal in the order prescribed. I have a word document set up for each lesson, and when I get the urge to write something, I add it to the lesson it pertains to, but only post them in order. It helps me to be sure I don't miss anything, and hopefully make it easier for management to check down the road.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146208 by
Each one of us walks our path in our own way. You should walk it in the way, and the order that feels right with you.

Sometimes, putting something down, then coming back to it later will help. Also the diversity of backgrounds have varying degrees of comprehension of different topics in the IP.

Remember that this is the foundation. It establishes a basic understanding that is uniform.

Going back to basics, as Jestor mentioned is a good thing to do. The Knights when reviewing IPs, go back to the basics every time we look at the lessons. We gain insights from these all the time. new percetions of the basics help us all achieve new levels of understanding and enlightenment.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 11 months ago #146210 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic IP discussion area

Karn wrote: Going back to basics, as Jestor mentioned is a good thing to do. The Knights when reviewing IPs, go back to the basics every time we look at the lessons. We gain insights from these all the time. new percetions of the basics help us all achieve new levels of understanding and enlightenment.

I really enjoy other peoples take on those topics... Helps me on my way...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

More
9 years 11 months ago #146211 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic IP discussion area
:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146213 by
:blush:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi