American Jedi Documentry

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309779 by
Replied by on topic American Jedi Documentry
Hannigan, you and I have had our ups and downs and despite what I believe I know about you, there is still a lot I don't know. I've learned the hard way that judging you based on a few comments has led me in the wrong direction many times. You're full of surprises, so I want to share a few thoughts that might help others see you the way I do now.

First, I respect you for putting a very personal path in front of the public eye. Whether it was done out of pride and ego or an honest desire to expose the world to Jediism and Jedi Realism, it was a brave thing to do. Only recently have I begun to share my path publicly and use my real name, and that is in large part due to the support I have received during my battle with cancer and a book project I have been working on to chronicle that journey. I know it is not the same, but I have a sense of what it is to put your life on display knowing that it might result in criticism or some uncomfortable conversations. Sometimes you come off as ego driven, but in listening to your podcast and from some of our previous conversations, I know you also care a great deal about this community and I recognize the work you put into sharing your experiences as a part of it.

I also realize that not everyone is going to be on board with the way you promote yourself, your podcast, this documentary, and the community at large. A lot of people don't like the way you sometimes speak to others and find you disrespectful. I have had this experience with you before, and I often think you push a little too hard, but I would caution others reading this not to be too critical of someone living the path in this way. I have yet to hear or see you say that your experience of the path is the right one or the only one, only that it is your experience and it is right for you. That is what we promote here, so we should be careful not to judge someone for being themselves just because we wouldn't take the same road. The goal is self-improvement, and at the risk of speaking for you Hannigan, I believe your life is better now than it was. If your method brings others who are curious to the community, that is awesome. If it turns some people off, there are plenty of others in the community to speak with that will give a hundred other perspectives. Your's is valuable, Hannigan, even if only to contrast against the many others.

As for the documentary, I don't see it any different than a Star Wars movie in its ability to draw awareness to this community. In my opinion, the documentary should not be blatantly pointing people to podcasts or online forums, but offering compelling stories. People who are genuinely interested will find this community one way or another and discover the media/format that speaks to them best. Even if we watch this documentary and decide everyone in it are a bunch of cooks, it still says that Jediism is a thing worthy of the time and effort to make a film about. That alone lends some credibility to our community.

Hopefully, MJ, you are seeing that there are some of us here at TOTJO willing to step out from behind the curtain and share our experiences with you and possibly also contribute to your podcast. Like anything else, it may just take a little more organization, communication, and holding people to their word. It is easy to say you will do something, but much different when it actually comes time to do it. I would suggest you politely reach out to those in this thread who have offered who you believe you can have a fair and constructive conversation with. Set a date, and make it happen. If we drop the ball, that's on us.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309784 by
Tellahane

You seem to have a a lot of anger towards me for some reason.

You also seem to have something against Jedi Realist Radio. True I have a podcast, and I also have a few other regular hosts and special host that help keep it going. Personally I would love to see it out grow me and in truth I am hoping for Jedi Retirement in the near future. I would also love to see a few special TOTJO shows on it, or even a once a month TOTJO doctrine show to help make people aware of totjo.

What is the point of the above? Well the point of the above is that I am very happy to know that American Jedi is out there and that that peope are and will be looking for more information. I have a great archive of past episodes up but my goal with Jedi Realist Radio is to share it with the community and new people to the community. Infact we spend a great deal of time helping to give Jedi Community's out there a shout out so people can find the diversity. To add to the fun of this concept unlike youtube I actually have to pay ever month so my work gets out there. Youtube you set up a channel you post videos and there you go. Since it is free there is very little commitment to go with it. Infact I have a youtube channel that I use from time to time when I am bored.

No proper mention of other sites or even tshirts?
Um did you watch the film? I lost count of how many times Jedi Realist Radio shirts were seen in the film and per episodes I have noiced more listens to my shows since the film was released. Also Laurent has done a great job at tagging us and out projects on the American Jedi Facebook page so I am confident that people who come looking will find us if they are interested.

I also think you have issues with the advice I gave so I will be a bit more clear.

Being a public jedi sucks, being a podcaster sucks more. As you know working on content and giving your all to your youtube channel it cane be discouraging when only a few people listen to vids that you think were great. (Ask Ally or any of the hosts from KOA I am sure they would agree with that one.) Also as you know it takes a great deal of time and effort to do a video or a podcast. People rarely understand just how much reading and note taking it takes to do even a 15 minute episode let along 45 minutes or longer.

You may notice on my facebook I often have pictures with either American Jedi, Jedi Realist Radio or Jedi Templar tshirts. Those are not designed pictures that is how I dress regularly. Where a tshirt with your podcast and people will ask you questions. When people ask questions I of course tell them about the film, my podcast and a handful of groups and forums that they may be interested in. Infact I will be going to see the Last Jedi for the 4th time tonight. Not because I want to see it but instead because it gives me a chance to wear my American Jedi Tshirt and talk about the film and a few groups that I think people may find interesting depending on the direction of the conversation. In truth it is a known fact that I am not very found of forums such as Force Academy (I know Ally you are shocked) or the history view of TOTJO BUT if a conversation goes in the direction that the person may find either forum as a good fit I will certainly tell them to check that forum or group out. This is why i keep my eyes and ears open at diffrent groups even if i am not a fan of them. Heck I even recommand people to visit Opies work and well we all know where we stand on that. Why is it I work tirelessly promoting groups or individuals i do not care for? Well the answer is simple. I promote the community because it is my love. Just because I do not like a person or group that does not mean that others may not like it or benefit from it.

You seem to think I am in this for me. Well to be honest my life would be easier if it was. If it was about me I never would pay the money to do a podcast, or talk about groups or individuals I do not like.

Now being attached to the American Jedi projects is a great joy and a curse at the same time. It is cool to say hey I am in this film and part of this film is about me. But the curse is people knowing my story and losing friendships as well as a job over it. I will not speak for the others involved in the project but I did it for the community and will continue to play my role to promote the community as a whole. That is both my job and my responsibility and that part I love. In fact you can listen to my past episodes and you will see that I mention a number of other communties, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, forums, pages and groups quite often. All this shows I do not do this for myself.

Now as you have a youtube channel I will ask you a few questions.
1. Do you have tshirts that you wear to promote your youtube channel?
2. Do you promote your youtube channel over social networks such as facebook?
3. On your youtube channel do you often recommand other groups, channels, forums and/or podcasts that people may find interesting even if you personally are not a fan of said place?

My last point is even more simple. Be careful what you ask for because you may get it and it may not be what you want. As a public Jedi I have to be even more careful what I do and say because it does effect things as a whole. People are making it seem like those in the American Jedi are having such a cool time and really the stress of the film before and after the release is harder then you may think. If I had the chance to say no and not be in it a big part of me would have done just that.

And even beyond that we did discuss doing a project or episode together in the past and yes I think we should enter that conversation again. I am sorry that we had a communication break down but trust me I live a crazy life and things got busy. Once we had a release date for the film I put all projects on hold because I know it is more likely people will be interested in semi current content that old content. Knowing this I thought it would be better to put procasts out after the film would be more important to promote the community as a whole. If you are still interested in doing a interview episode where you can tell your story and promote your podcast let me know and we will make it happen.

More
6 years 4 months ago #309788 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic American Jedi Documentry

MJ Hannigan wrote: Tellahane

You seem to have a a lot of anger towards me for some reason.

I'm just trying to understand you?

MJ Hannigan wrote: You also seem to have something against Jedi Realist Radio. True I have a podcast, and I also have a few other regular hosts and special host that help keep it going. Personally I would love to see it out grow me and in truth I am hoping for Jedi Retirement in the near future. I would also love to see a few special TOTJO shows on it, or even a once a month TOTJO doctrine show to help make people aware of totjo.

Did I miss something did I ever say there was anything wrong with it? I listen to it on a semi-monthly basis i go there and listen through the topics I find interesting and there's usually a couple. I did point out that you invited me on there at one point and then ignored every email I ever sent about it afterwords, but that's about it.

MJ Hannigan wrote: What is the point of the above? Well the point of the above is that I am very happy to know that American Jedi is out there and that that peope are and will be looking for more information. I have a great archive of past episodes up but my goal with Jedi Realist Radio is to share it with the community and new people to the community. Infact we spend a great deal of time helping to give Jedi Community's out there a shout out so people can find the diversity. To add to the fun of this concept unlike youtube I actually have to pay ever month so my work gets out there. Youtube you set up a channel you post videos and there you go. Since it is free there is very little commitment to go with it. Infact I have a youtube channel that I use from time to time when I am bored.

No proper mention of other sites or even tshirts?
Um did you watch the film? I lost count of how many times Jedi Realist Radio shirts were seen in the film and per episodes I have noiced more listens to my shows since the film was released. Also Laurent has done a great job at tagging us and out projects on the American Jedi Facebook page so I am confident that people who come looking will find us if they are interested.

Uhm did you read my post, or skim it? I didn't say there weren't t-shirts I said "t-shirts aside" Not everyone watches a film to read the t-shirts on everyone as they should be more focused on the story.

MJ Hannigan wrote: I also think you have issues with the advice I gave so I will be a bit more clear.

Being a public jedi sucks, being a podcaster sucks more. As you know working on content and giving your all to your youtube channel it cane be discouraging when only a few people listen to vids that you think were great. (Ask Ally or any of the hosts from KOA I am sure they would agree with that one.) Also as you know it takes a great deal of time and effort to do a video or a podcast. People rarely understand just how much reading and note taking it takes to do even a 15 minute episode let along 45 minutes or longer.

This is all true, very true, but I do it because I enjoy it, because I want to put the work in, I don't typically go around telling other people how terrible it is, how hard it is, how much it "sucks". Unless its someone thinking of doing the same or similar thing then I will try and advise them of what they are in for and some things to try to help get through it, but I think that's where you and I differ on the thought process. It just feels like going around and talking about how terribly hard it is to me personally(and this may be based on my upbringing) is more like a cry for attention(please don't take that offensively just trying to explain my view point).

MJ Hannigan wrote: You may notice on my facebook I often have pictures with either American Jedi, Jedi Realist Radio or Jedi Templar tshirts. Those are not designed pictures that is how I dress regularly. Where a tshirt with your podcast and people will ask you questions. When people ask questions I of course tell them about the film, my podcast and a handful of groups and forums that they may be interested in. Infact I will be going to see the Last Jedi for the 4th time tonight. Not because I want to see it but instead because it gives me a chance to wear my American Jedi Tshirt and talk about the film and a few groups that I think people may find interesting depending on the direction of the conversation. In truth it is a known fact that I am not very found of forums such as Force Academy (I know Ally you are shocked) or the history view of TOTJO BUT if a conversation goes in the direction that the person may find either forum as a good fit I will certainly tell them to check that forum or group out. This is why i keep my eyes and ears open at diffrent groups even if i am not a fan of them. Heck I even recommand people to visit Opies work and well we all know where we stand on that. Why is it I work tirelessly promoting groups or individuals i do not care for? Well the answer is simple. I promote the community because it is my love. Just because I do not like a person or group that does not mean that others may not like it or benefit from it.

You seem to think I am in this for me. Well to be honest my life would be easier if it was. If it was about me I never would pay the money to do a podcast, or talk about groups or individuals I do not like.

Hey if thats not the case then it's not, it's perhaps just the way you present yourself as wanting attention focused on you and your struggles as a higher priority then the podcast itself? maybe a 60/40 mix? Again just from my view only cause thats all I can speak for.

MJ Hannigan wrote: Now being attached to the American Jedi projects is a great joy and a curse at the same time. It is cool to say hey I am in this film and part of this film is about me. But the curse is people knowing my story and losing friendships as well as a job over it. I will not speak for the others involved in the project but I did it for the community and will continue to play my role to promote the community as a whole. That is both my job and my responsibility and that part I love. In fact you can listen to my past episodes and you will see that I mention a number of other communties, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, forums, pages and groups quite often. All this shows I do not do this for myself.

Now as you have a youtube channel I will ask you a few questions.
1. Do you have tshirts that you wear to promote your youtube channel?
2. Do you promote your youtube channel over social networks such as facebook?
3. On your youtube channel do you often recommand other groups, channels, forums and/or podcasts that people may find interesting even if you personally are not a fan of said place?

1. No the t-shirts I wear often promote local services such as my ambulance service, or community projects as I only travel in my community anyway, I tend to follow a you can't help someone else unless you yourself are capable of it, and you can't help a community in the next town over unless your community is able to help them and work your way out kind of thing.
2. I keep my facebook limited to my family because of my position in healthcare, for a much more long drawn out and well rounded reason, I can explain that in pm if you want me to.
3. Yes in the past(not sure since I privated most of my videos so I can "reset" my points and views etc if my recent bit I've covered it, I feel like I have but I'll recheck at some point), and I do so in other places as well, irregardless of whether I like them or not....(with exception to one place that takes money in exchange for learning but everywhere else I promote)

MJ Hannigan wrote: My last point is even more simple. Be careful what you ask for because you may get it and it may not be what you want. As a public Jedi I have to be even more careful what I do and say because it does effect things as a whole.

I wish a few other people would learn that lesson.

MJ Hannigan wrote: People are making it seem like those in the American Jedi are having such a cool time and really the stress of the film before and after the release is harder then you may think. If I had the chance to say no and not be in it a big part of me would have done just that.

...you did have a chance, just probably didn't realize it at the time, we always have a choice about everything its just whether we are willing to deal with the results of that choice or not we have to settle with.

MJ Hannigan wrote: And even beyond that we did discuss doing a project or episode together in the past and yes I think we should enter that conversation again. I am sorry that we had a communication break down but trust me I live a crazy life and things got busy. Once we had a release date for the film I put all projects on hold because I know it is more likely people will be interested in semi current content that old content. Knowing this I thought it would be better to put procasts out after the film would be more important to promote the community as a whole. If you are still interested in doing a interview episode where you can tell your story and promote your podcast let me know and we will make it happen.

Set a reminder to hit me up just after the new year but it will probably be in Feburary, I got a few big projects taking off here in the next month and some other big changes thats consuming a bit of time, between the community book project we just started here at the temple, my own (possibly book) I'm re-writing and adding on to based off my holocron doc, and then I need to look at my little web series and get back on track I kinda jumped off my notes and planned order of topics and it kinda went sideways on me as do all the best laid plans. I think my place is best served in planned rants as opposed to a planned curriculum, I work better off the cuff I think. But yes, let's get it sorted out!

More
6 years 4 months ago #309789 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic American Jedi Documentry
Wait what?

Are you trying to say you're the victim of your success, chained to the whims of your podcast, a slave to the jedi media machine?

I can appreciate that you're doing something you believe in (for better or worse) - but I'm not really buying that you're an unwilling participant in the whole thing.

(I'm not really trying to start a flame war, just a "woah, steady on, step back, lets not get carried away with the melodrama here" I don't know if you got struck by lightning and received a vision from The Force to spread the word far and wide via judicious use of screen printed Hanes Beefy Ts, it all seems very optional, and a labour of love that you choose to press on with)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309790 by
Tall

Really have you ever been told it is annoying when you cut and past then insert things. If you asked any questions or made any points I will tell you know I am not going to waste time reading your reply.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309791 by

JamesSand wrote: Wait what?

Are you trying to say you're the victim of your success, chained to the whims of your podcast, a slave to the jedi media machine?

I can appreciate that you're doing something you believe in (for better or worse) - but I'm not really buying that you're an unwilling participant in the whole thing.

(I'm not really trying to start a flame war, just a "woah, steady on, step back, lets not get carried away with the melodrama here" I don't know if you got struck by lightning and received a vision from The Force to spread the word far and wide via judicious use of screen printed Hanes Beefy Ts, it all seems very optional, and a labour of love that you choose to press on with)

If telling people to be careful about pushing a totjo only film to be careful sounds like a victim you have me beat. I have no clue what point you were making but ok.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309793 by
We are the Master of our own Journey. No one can make it any more successful or non successful than you yourself and your own efforts......Nor does anyone care if you choose to do it or not. The world will not end if you yourself ends. It will go on quite happily without you as it does with you.

Like many artists and peaces of art. American Jedi did not start out with a singular goal in mind. Even Laurent will tell you that he just let the camera's run and refined it bit by bit until it came down to three. Popularity aside there were others in the documentary who worked just as hard (if not harder) and has just as compelling a past life story as the main three did (As does every single Jedi and living being). The determined conclusion of the documentary was based on storyline completion more so than on purpose or intent.

Assuming ability of one over others is pathetic. Everyone has potential to do what the popular three did, it is merely a matter of a willingness to do it.

or not.

More
6 years 4 months ago #309797 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic American Jedi Documentry

MJ Hannigan wrote: Tall

Really have you ever been told it is annoying when you cut and past then insert things. If you asked any questions or made any points I will tell you know I am not going to waste time reading your reply.

First, nope, second, Then why should anyone take their time to read your replies, respect anything you have to say if you can't give the same common courtesy...forget the whole podcast thing I'm no longer interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309801 by
Tall
Not interested in a podcast? Ok cool I was just going to give you a chance to speak your Jedi Truth since you were worried about not being in American Jedi. But also yes it is just annoying for the cut, paste, post, cut past post, cut past post and it is very distracting. It is just easier to post your thoughts without cutting up someone elses post. I know this was the cool forum thing in 2004 but really it is not done often and kinda takes away from the point people are making.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309804 by

MJ Hannigan wrote: Tall
Not interested in a podcast? Ok cool I was just going to give you a chance to speak your Jedi Truth since you were worried about not being in American Jedi. But also yes it is just annoying for the cut, paste, post, cut past post, cut past post and it is very distracting. It is just easier to post your thoughts without cutting up someone elses post. I know this was the cool forum thing in 2004 but really it is not done often and kinda takes away from the point people are making.

Best to take your time to read them then. Yes, they're confusing, but they help break up the thoughts, create responses to specific points. It takes a bit more time to read, but we should all take more time to read, rather than glaze over it.

And I don't think anyone was worried about not being in American Jedi. If anything, it's given us something to spring off of, find the things we didn't like and (when we do this ourselves) avoid the same mistakes.