Rants far and wide

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333285 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
Jedi History. I find it an interesting topic. Sure I find historical stories interesting in general, but if I knew nothing of the world but merely the Jedi Community I'd know one core fact - those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. "Learn From", not learn of, not acknowledge, not gossip about. There are cycles that happen. This can be expected with a continual influx of new people to a community, especially a community with a common theme and inspiration. Certain core elements just speak to people. All well and good - can be very fun to explore old topics with fresh eyes and see if any new angles provide new ways forward.

Of course running a Jedi group has some pretty interesting history tied to it as well. Our community at its youngest is twenty years old. We can go to 24 if want, some try to push further, but community-wise that is about where it tops out. We are still in those college party years. But plenty of examples of running a Jedi group exist. Many groups grew very active. Many great and large groups which have crumbled under their own weight. Many groups which have toppled under drama and politics. Some under stagnation. Others just from no activity. Avoiding these issues isn't as difficult as our history may make it seem - just about learning from our history.

Example. In 1999 I was given a council position and a Master title. Fortunately the Force (or my internet provider dropping service in my area) and my own low self-esteem allowed me to run away from that. Still it kicked started me on a journey through the community that would add many titles and positions - some just as ridiculous and superfluous as the first two. I watched as that original group ate itself over and over again - sure the website survived for years, but not the leadership, not the direction, all eventually withered away under the constant toxicity; a mask worn to keep pretending it is its old self. I got to witness many other sites rise and fall. Fascinating stuff. Human Nature vs Jedi Nature, the scoreboard is not encouraging.

So when an idealistic young man approached me with an idea he was working on, I was humbled. It is nice when someone acknowledges that time served. He wanted to form a new group and asked my advice, so I gave him a breakdown. I laid out the pitfalls. I laid out a couple avenues for success. I pointed to his own Jedi idol (actual, not fictional) and the wrong turns he made. "Learn From". Here are examples - remember these as you move forward. When tough decisions come - and they will come - remember these giants and how they fell. He invited me to join him as he built this group, I accepted (history in the making if nothing else). Then it was clear - decisions were being made, but they screamed of an era that had all but disappeared. The same mistakes in new packaging. The same misguided focus - Organizational Value over Jedi Value. Mistaking leadership for popularity.

I spoke up - I was shouted down. I warned - I was a labelled a doomsayer. I laid it all out - they voted to cast me out.

History will be repeated if it is not learned from. And it has not been learned from. The lesson? Culture isn't what you preach, it is what you allow.
24 years and that hasn't sunk in yet.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #333490 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Rants far and wide
We do not rise to our ideals; We fall to our training.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #333553 by
Just because someone says what you're saying is a threat, doesn't make it one.

Just because someone says you're always after them, it doesn't make it so.

Yell it as loud as you want. But as tarkin put it 'if sayigg it only made it so'... Because it doesn't.

Feeble attempt, a predictable attempt, a rusty blade you have become.

More
5 years 2 months ago #333603 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Rants far and wide
Will there ever be a Jedi meetup in my neck of the woods? I love being a part of this online community, but sometimes I wish I could meet many of you face to face.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

More
5 years 2 months ago #333628 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Rants far and wide
I... Am an idiot. A f***ing idiot.

That is all.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #334497 by
Put it off. Put it off. One more day. I'll take care of it at this time, later on. Procrastination .... Something I fight on a continual basis and a recent reminder of why that fight is important. I allowed routine maintenance on my car to keep being pushed back. And now, I need my car towed and will have to pay much more than simple maintenance would have cost. And I still need some extra work done, such as alignment. Today will not be a cheap day. I will miss at least half of my work day (which is a financial hit and just means more work for me throughout the week). My own stupidity and laziness. I knew I needed to get my car into the shop and that would have prevented this issue. But nope - held it off. Nice work Jedi. Way to stay on top of things. Idiot.

More
4 years 10 months ago #338880 by Kohadre
Warning/Preface: [TRIGGER] The rant contained below may be considered highly controversial and offensive. For that reason it has been encased within a spoiler. If you are prone to or are currently experiencing suicidal ideation or wish not to be offended DO NOT CLICK.

Warning: Spoiler!

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos

More
4 years 8 months ago #341813 by Kobos
Swears

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341815 by

Kohadre wrote: Warning/Preface: [TRIGGER] The rant contained below may be considered highly controversial and offensive. For that reason it has been encased within a spoiler. If you are prone to or are currently experiencing suicidal ideation or wish not to be offended DO NOT CLICK.

My... My... Aren't you after my own dark little heart. That thought is literally titillating! Why? Not sure, it just excited me.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #341816 by Brick

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

Kohadre wrote: Warning/Preface: [TRIGGER] The rant contained below may be considered highly controversial and offensive. For that reason it has been encased within a spoiler. If you are prone to or are currently experiencing suicidal ideation or wish not to be offended DO NOT CLICK.

My... My... Aren't you after my own dark little heart. That thought is literally titillating! Why? Not sure, it just excited me.

Awwww I love it when two Siths find each other! Makes feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Occasionally it also disturbs me and makes me want to vomit in my mouth, but I'll take the bad with the good ;)

EDIT: I thought the original post was by Khaos. Please ignore me and my stupidity

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Zenchi, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi