08 Jan 2019 19:44 - 08 Jan 2019 19:45 #332131 by Snowy Aftermath
Replied by Snowy Aftermath on topic Rants far and wide

Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart

You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud

In The Snow - A Poetry Podcast
anchor.fm/hiddeninthesnow
Last edit: 08 Jan 2019 19:45 by Snowy Aftermath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 05:13 - 10 Jan 2019 05:23 #332221 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Rants far and wide
About time one of you spoke up.....

My word is my Honor, and my Honor is my life ~ Sturm Brightblade

Sith ain't sinners, Jedi ain't saints ~ Jestor

Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 05:23 by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silvermane

More
10 Jan 2019 22:54 #332241 by Silvermane
Replied by Silvermane on topic Rants far and wide
It amazing how many turn coats and true colors emerge when there is a proverbial rallying flag to stand/hide behind...

Rand Silvermane

Apprentice - Seminarian
Former Training Masters: Arcade and Alexandre
Training Master: Rosalyn J
”I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human.” — Qui Gon Jinn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Arisaig

More
10 Jan 2019 23:47 - 10 Jan 2019 23:48 #332244 by Omhu Cuspor
Replied by Omhu Cuspor on topic Rants far and wide

Arisaig wrote:

[W]hy do we tolerate derailing of threads in a 'discussion demanding proof' when it is something that is personally experienced, and only by those that desire to open their minds enough to experience it? ...
Why continue to tolerate a view simply because its interesting if it discourages learning and faith in a school/church?

Hi Arisaig. This is intended as a mild defense of an occasional skeptical perspective, especially when it is solicited and offered in a way that explicitly indicates the view expressed is based on personal experience or reflection, and not offered as an unquestionable truth.

I participated in that recent conversation on psychometry, and expressed the view - based on my own experience - that it either wasn't likely to be a gift anyone had, or else required so much time to cultivate that it isn't practical for most people. That particular thread began with a request for personal perspectives on psychometry, so the response seemed to me to be in line.

I think in a situation like this, such a response is justified. However, it was certainly not my intention to discredit anyone else's contrary perspective. Like you, I too have had experience with paranormal events that I cannot prove to anyone - ones I generally don't discuss with people because I expect to be confronted with disbelief. I know those things happen.

I've also experienced, though, claims related to the paranormal that turn out to be overhyped distortions that some people latch onto and hence are led astray. It's important, I think, for those of us who acknowledge a reality that science has not, at least yet, validated, to back each other up so we are not so easily led astray ourselves. That was my intent, at least.

Long story short - if I was one of those whom you felt were suppressive of open-mindedness and the consideration of metaphysical realities, I apologize for conveying that impression. I did not wish to deliver such a message.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 23:48 by Omhu Cuspor. Reason: Correct a misspelling - changing "once" to "one".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Arisaig

More
10 Jan 2019 23:54 #332246 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Rants far and wide

Omhu Cuspor wrote:

Arisaig wrote:

[W]hy do we tolerate derailing of threads in a 'discussion demanding proof' when it is something that is personally experienced, and only by those that desire to open their minds enough to experience it? ...
Why continue to tolerate a view simply because its interesting if it discourages learning and faith in a school/church?

Hi Arisaig. This is intended as a mild defense of an occasional skeptical perspective, especially when it is solicited and offered in a way that explicitly indicates the view expressed is based on personal experience or reflection, and not offered as an unquestionable truth.

I participated in that recent conversation on psychometry, and expressed the view - based on my own experience - that it either wasn't likely to be a gift anyone had, or else required so much time to cultivate that it isn't practical for most people. That particular thread began with a request for personal perspectives on psychometry, so the response seemed to me to be in line.

I think in a situation like this, such a response is justified. However, it was certainly not my intention to discredit anyone else's contrary perspective. Like you, I too have had experience with paranormal events that I cannot prove to anyone - ones I generally don't discuss with people because I expect to be confronted with disbelief. I know those things happen.

I've also experienced, though, claims related to the paranormal that turn out to be overhyped distortions that some people latch onto and hence are led astray. It's important, I think, for those of us who acknowledge a reality that science has not, at least yet, validated, to back each other up so we are not so easily led astray ourselves. That was my intent, at least.

Long story short - if I was one of those whom you felt were suppressive of open-mindedness and the consideration of metaphysical realities, I apologize for conveying that impression. I did not wish to deliver such a message.

As a reminder to the rules of the rants thread, rants are not to be replied to directly please, this is a venting thread, discussions go elsewhere, thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Silvermane, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Arisaig

More
11 Jan 2019 01:14 - 11 Jan 2019 01:17 #332251 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rants far and wide
It took me so long to learn how to like people in spite of the fact that i disagree with them.

"One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond that is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways"
-Lord Russel
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 01:17 by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Silvermane, Kobos, Arisaig

More
14 Jan 2019 00:12 - 14 Jan 2019 00:20 #332357 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Rants far and wide
Is it really that hard for people to be honest.... Really?! Third flippin time this week.
And while we're at it, is it really that hard for you to do your job properly so the dishonest people stop getting away with it?

Not all those who wander are lost
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 00:20 by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Arisaig

More
14 Jan 2019 02:40 #332359 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Rants far and wide
You cannot simply dismiss any criticism as “that’s who I am, don’t try to change me”, and then bitch about other people not meeting your standards.

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Kobos, Arisaig