Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41335 by
What's up guys, my names Jon, im new here, but this is a subject I feel pretty strongly about.. I've read a lot of post about which art is most "practical" and quickest to learn effectively.. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who asked that but its honestly the wrong attitude to have when it comes to your own ability to protect yourself and those around you .. just like the jedi in the star wars universe, or anyone in the real world that take self defense seriously, it should become part of your weekly regiment .. and you should learn multiple forms of self defense .. you can't rely onyour strengths to compensate for your weeknesses.. I read earlier that someone said that his boxing could combat bjj because fights start standing.. but this is only true if he has takedown defense .. and takedown defense comes from studying wrestling .. walk into any boxing gym in the world, I promise you they will not teach how to sprall and stuff a double leg takedown.. it the same respect you can roll around on the ground all day with someone, and if you cant throw a punch.. eventually the boxer will get back up and knock your block off .. but again, if you have good jiu jitsu .. they can't knock your block off if you choke them unconscious .. what im saying is self defense isn't a shortcut type of road you should go down.. the only thing worse than being thurst into a defensive situation with no confidence in your skill set, is have false confidence in it...taking care of your body should be a long term goal.. everyone is a white belt on day one, no matter what martial art you choose.. what's important is to stick with it.. acknowledge your weaknesses twice as much as your strengths .. a jedi would train his body everyday, and so should we.. I really don't mean to disrespect anyone .. p.s. i wrote this all on my phone .. try to ignore the grammatical errors ... thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41342 by
I haven't read all the former posts, so sorry, if I write something that was written before.

Martial Arts are more for me than pure self-defense. Surely are MA a good way to defend myself and others but I believe the first way a jedi should go is the way of peace. But it's always good to know, that you COULD defend yourself... :)

In my life I studied a few pathes. As a Teenager I was excited about the athletic art of Tae Kwon Do.So I learned this MA for a couple of years.
After I realized, that TKD is more "sport" than Martial Arts, I searched a purer and more effectiv kind of MA and found it in Wing Tsun.
Wing Tsun is the mother of many kinds of MA... like JKD, for example and IMO Wing Tsun is the most effectiv MA to lay your opponent in the fastest way.

But effectivity is not the only path I really liked to follow, so I searched on.
I was looking for a MA where philosophy and meditation are a strong part and you have to act in harmony, peace and with the sense of the force.
I believe I have found it in AIKIDO.

Every lesson is more meditation than training. With every form you act in harmony with the Ki. Every form is meditation.

So I think, AIKIDO is the best MA for a jedi. But this is just my opinion... and maybe a question of age, too... ;)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago #41357 by Jestor

Belen wrote: In my life I studied a few pathes. As a Teenager I was excited about the athletic art of Tae Kwon Do.So I learned this MA for a couple of years.
After I realized, that TKD is more "sport" than Martial Arts, I searched a purer and more effectiv kind of MA and found it in Wing Tsun.
Wing Tsun is the mother of many kinds of MA... like JKD, for example and IMO Wing Tsun is the most effectiv MA to lay your opponent in the fastest way.

Much like race, sexual orientation, color of skin, you cannot judge an entire MA from one school or instructor....

Martial Art = warlike art

You ask life long practioners of MA and most will tell you that TKD practioners have the strongest kicks possible in the field...

There are many 'sport' MA out there... I am an instructor at a TKD school... We are not a 'tounament' or 'olympic style' school which focus or lighter slap kicks for scoring points...

We can put a hurtin' on someone with a quickness... We study real Self Defence...

As most MA are divided by country, they are also divided by region within that country... I study MooDukKwon-TaeKwonDo... which is a blend of JuDo throws, HapKiDo locks and throws, and traditioinal TaeKwonDo....

We train for safety...;)

Nothing against AiKiDo or Wing Tsun, merely defending us TKD people... lol...:laugh:

One of our concerns, is the watering down of the MA's... We discuss it all the time...

When a person of no skill, or limited skill, goes into a MA studio, they expect all MA places to be of the highest caliber... Unfourtunately, this is not the case... It would be great if it was...

It always pays to shop around and become informed...

As I have said, am saying again, and will probably say in the future...
-1st what is available to you in your area...
-2nd second, MA's are not something you go do and after a few years, you walk back out the door, going, "well, I have learned it all, next"...
-3rd the body can only move in a finite number of ways... regardless of what you practice a kick, is a kick, strike is a strike... call the move, or motion what ever the art calls it...

No matter your art, 'Do your best'...

That is all anyone can ask of you...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #41361 by RyuJin
based upon my personal experience i have to agree with jestor, when selecting a martial art...no matter what style you take always interview the instructor, ask questions about the history of the style, it's origins, etc... and do some research on it as well. this will aid you greatly in avoiding the "watered down" styles that are cropping up.

again based upon my experience:

tkd - strongest kicks
boxing - strongest punches
muay thai - strongest elbow/knee strikes
wing chun - best traps and blocks(upright)
jiu jitsu - best holds(ground)
wrestling - best take downs selection

i firmly believe bruce lee had it right when he said no one style has all the answers. you must seek out many answers, study many styles and take what works best for you while discarding what doesn't....another benefit of using multiple styles is that no matter what your opponent uses you will have a good set of options that can counter....some styles are better then others in certain circumstances yet weaker against other styles in other circumstances.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41369 by
I like wu shu, for striking tai chi, for meditation I also like drunken boxing for its awkwardness

I also trained in muay thai, and later I trained in aikido the Japanese art of self defense and taking on more than one opponent. It also teaches knife and sword techniques as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #41437 by
I think the real question is, what way of fighting would be most effective? The best way would be to have no way at all, to be able to adapt to anyone else's "style" or particular situation.

If you're practicing martial arts for the "art" aspect, then it really doesn't matter which one you choose. I like Tae Kwon Do. When I was younger I loved doing flying kicks. If you want to end a fight quickly, however, you can't be focused on art. That's Jeet Kune Do, as has been previously mentioned.

I kind of look at Jeet Kune Do the same way I look at the Jedi. Both are compilations of various ways of thought, taking what is useful and forgetting the rest.

More
12 years 8 months ago #41700 by Adder
Aggression is counterproductive isnt it? I'd probably lean towards something like Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu/Aikido to try and take a whole non-aggressive position in fighting and either using it to get submissions from attackers or to shape the fight into a location where assistance is available to stop the fight. Kenjutsu or Shinkendo also because sometimes you need to keep someone outside of reach.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 8 months ago #41705 by RyuJin
aggression is certainly undesirable in most situations, however like all things there is a time and place where it is needed lest we become doormats. the key is to have the wisdom to know that time and place, and to use only as much as necessary...all fighting whether using defensive or offensive techniques requires a degree of aggression since fighting by it's very nature is aggression and a result of a breakdown in communication.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
12 years 8 months ago #41706 by Adder
Perhaps then dont fight, instead subdue :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41734 by
then aikido would be the best answer for a non aggressive form they call it "fighting without fighting" since its not really geared towards attacking but rather counter attacking and redirecting and what i mean by redirecting is using the momentum of the enemies attack against them watch Steven Sagal work in most of his films hes using aikido

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi