• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 1 month ago #52827 by RyuJin

Darren wrote:

RyuJin wrote: i prefer to let them make the first mistake...uh move, and then react accordingly...

It sounds like RyuJin would be a Soresu master in the age of lightsabers. :lol:

For years I viewed taekwondo as useless for self-defense. Recently, though, I've thought of it more as a major source of self-discipline, which would help in the event of being attacked as well in a number of other situations. Also, martial arts keep you fit.

I liked ninjutsu for a while because it was "Hey, wanna see a trick? Too bad, I'm a ninja." It's mostly about the art of fleeing, which is much more likely to save your life than standing up to a fight.

If I had the opportunity, I'd study as many martial arts forms as possible. It all helps, and it's good for the mind, body, and spirit.

tae kwon do is one of several styles i've studied over the years(it's actually one of the first 3 my uncle taught me)...it's a bit flashy, true, but in the right circumstances and in the right hands it's highly effective in self defense...of course i'm of the mind that no one style has all the answers, you have to go to many styles and get many answers...each style is best suited to certain situations and settings...having more than one style at your disposal gives you a larger array of situations and settings that you're prepared for...

wu wei wu (doing by not doing)

sometimes it is best to do nothing at all, let them make a fool of themself and simply walk away from them...when i was really young and first learning martial arts i never backed down from a challenge...as i got older and wiser i learned to simply let things go and do nothing but walk away...it takes more inner strength to do so...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #52878 by
I see you point Jestor. i think their are many different views to what the need is, everyone has their own style, my personal belief is that unless you are being attacked you should wait for the right moment to strike, stay out of sight until you have the opportunity to strike, thus stealth could be useful. but I also think that you should try and avoid ever having to attack someone, I believe that a peaceful resolve is the best, fighting should only be used as self defence and even then it should only be the what is necessary for you to stay safe. to quote Beckford v R (1988) 1 AC 130 (the British law on self defence): "A defendant is entitled to use reasonable force to protect himself, others for whom he is responsible and his property. It must be reasonable.".

More
12 years 1 month ago #52926 by 666
martial arts had been created ,because need, comes in different flavors...
old MA respond to certain patrons, geography, body structure,(some times because geography)and spiritual creed.

so do research, is not practical to do tae kwon-do if you have short legs, or karate if you are really slim, you can, but...

need to be the one you chose, you need to be comfortable training.

without dude, for me the perfect MA, (and I am not a practitian of this) is AIKIDO
there are so many whys i can pic this

1-it doesn't matter body
2-was created as DEFENSE there is no attack
3-you need spiritual strength more than fisical
4-practical in real world

true,apply to all, but not in the level of aikido

but as Bruce Lee say, take the best of all of then and create yours
your style.

I do train for more than 30 years, lot of different ones.
core kung fu more than 30 years
others no less than 2 years
tae kwon do
ninjitsu
karate
kendo
jeet kune do
muay thai
judo
jiu jitsu

and some more

next AIKIDO

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55582 by
Anyone here have suggestions of any solid resources for learning martial arts, particularly about Japanese Aikido?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55585 by
Replying not for anyones reply but mainly towards the title of the thread.

"Which is the best martian art for a jedi".

None. They all have use's, don't limit yourself to one martial art. Learn from all. There is no Ignorance there is knowledge. Your code states that.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #55588 by Jestor

Aceboizor wrote: Anyone here have suggestions of any solid resources for learning martial arts, particularly about Japanese Aikido?

See what's available around you.....

Go watch a class....

Talk to the students....

EVERYONE thinks their style is best, so that's not really the question to ask....

Is it fun? Is it practical?

Here in the states, many schools stress forms.... Not very practical if you don't get some experience....

Best is to talk locally...

I hope this helps....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97789 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lL9eekIsIA

this is a short film about khridoli, I use to train with my brother in this and I am quite skilled myself, I think it could be effective in difusing a situation quickly

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97815 by
Personally i believe in Aikido as the best martial arts for a Jedi attempting to diffuse a situation. Though, when a Jedi needs to be more aggressive and take stronger physical actions i see Krav Maga or the Keysi fighting method as the alternatives.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi