Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 5 months ago #20523 by
Please post any ideas or suggestions to this subject personally i think karate, judo, or a sort of kenpo

So go wild on this subject which martial art is the best for a jedi to study?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #20524 by Angelus
Pick a defensive form of Karate, not an offensive type. I know Karate is about self defense, but take lessons that teach you moves to block hits, or avoid them, rather than hit back. And perhaps take a seperate class for some offensive techniques.

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 5 months ago #20526 by
I would suggest \"Aikido.\" You use your opponets own energy against them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 5 months ago #20528 by
Any form of Martial Arts would be appropriate. When you are called on to defend others, you had better know how to not just fend off attacks, but ultimately do damage, in effect to be able to 'Shut Someone Down' and do it fast.

Now, if you want Passive forms, then Japanese Aikido, Chinese Tai Chi Chaun. They give a good basis of a 'Soft/Defensive\" art, but when used properly, can also be devistatingly offensive.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 5 months ago #20529 by
I recommend Filipino martial arts like Panantukan , Eskrima/Kali/Arnis de Máno and Pananjakman.As you can see. there are many forms and they teach you different way out of many situations.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #20537 by
which are the best candies? which are the best chips? which coffee is the best?

The best martial art for the individual depends on many factors -

The most obvious is the one whereby training facilities/teachers are present in your locale or at least you can get to on a reasonably regular basis (from personal experience, i suggest minimum attendance of once per week preferably twice per week).

Also, there is an element of cost involved, not just for the tuition, but in some cases for equipment and that's beside the 'uniform' for your chosen martial art.

Some people are more suited to slower paced forms, some to faster paced, some prefer a more defensive form others prefer an offensive, some like a mix -

The best advice I can give here is to look a few martial arts up (obviously the net is a good place) and see what takes your fancy, and then see if anyone near you can teach/train you.

Another idea if you cant think of a specific art is to take generic self defence classes, many are run for or as 'womens fight club' or 'self defence for women' but the instructor will train men too - if they agree to be the punch bags for the ladies ;) ive done this and you learn a lot and its quite good fun as well, especially when they dress you up in a heap of padding and then you get the hell kicked outta you :D - the usual format of this sort of thing is essentially 'dirty combat' or no holds barred - its simply fighting for self preservation - to give an idea of what im talking about, look up the 5 step put down on the net - you only need 3 or 4 of the steps - 5 is the bonus ;)

Another thing is to realise the definition of martial art -

with this in mind things such ass archery and shooting can be considered martial arts. It need not be for attack or defence, it can be simply for self improvement, ie teaching oneself focus etc.

Also, this topic has been discussed elsewhere on this site, so use the search the bar at the top to find it.

Whatever you do, get proper training, be careful and MTFBWY - A
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by .

More
15 years 3 months ago #21461 by Garm
This may not be the best place to post this but it's close. My wife Sharon and I have been involved with Martial Arts for quite some time (12 years+ now) and when we moved to our current location we have been unable to locate a dojo that suited our expectations. (scarey what some places do! :unsure: )

I am pleased to say that in our little town a small club has opened. I do not know exactly what style is taught but observing from the street, it appears to be simular to the styles we know (namely chito ryu and shotokan) and they teach weapon methods, including the sword(I practice Iaido), so plus, plus for me!!

Because of not finding a school that suited our needs, Sharon and I have kept up our Karate by practicing on our own, but that cannot replace the environment of being with others to train. We have a meeting with the Sensei on tuesday night to discuss things. Being out of a structured class for almost three years, I am looking forward with high spirits that we may have found a new Dojo to call home...:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 3 months ago #21468 by
Excellent - it always both saddens and angers me when I learn of Dojo that are not 'quite up to the job'

and thi is why I/we cannot over stress to beginners of any form - to do research/homework and dont just burst into the first dojo they come across.

Safety is of utmost paramount - the term 'human weapon' exists for a reason ;)

Be safe and most of all

MTFBWY - A

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 3 months ago #21473 by
It think the best martial art for a Jedi is the one that you already learned or the one YOU like.
Like they say its not the style thats best its the person.

WOO Zui Quan and Capoeira!!!!:woohoo:

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #21538 by Garm
Br. Daniel is absolutely correct.

The style you decide upon should \"fit\" you. I have tried so many over the years at conventions, tourny's and so on, and I'm sooo glad to have had that opportunity saving me the time of trying them in the conventional sense.

What works for me may not work for the next person and vis versa. I am not very gracefull (I dance like Elaine on Sienfeld :) ) thus I do poorly in Akaido and kung-fu...I lack the fluidness no matter how much I have tried to become one with these arts. (my wife says that my lack of grace is a direct result of too many blows to the head from taking part in too much shotokan jiyu kumite :laugh: )

The styles all basically do the same job. A martial art, properly taught, has as much and maybe more to do with shaping and developing your character than the actual art of fighting.

Try many before settling on any particular one. Most clubs offer a couple of intro classes, and I have even spoken with the Sensei at many dojo's about my intentions of 'trying' their club by paying by the class for a month or two. Remember, if it becomes a 'drag' you will stop going after a short time, and it may not be martial arts as a whole but just the style or even a particular instructor.

So no matter which style you decide upon, choose one you enjoy.

What are you waiting for? HAJIME !!! ;) *bows*
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Garm.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi