Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #41735 by
Aikido would be the best answer for me, on a non aggressive form. I strike when needed, I see fighting is mostly open opportunity you see your chance and you take it. Its more of an instinct thing you use your better judgment and be quick. I've been in a few fights (mainly at parties, bars, and concerts). Things happen so quickly I don't have time really to think of a style to use(even though I have studied few). The incidents just sort of play out. I have noticed a fight in the street is different then a spar in the gym or a match in the ring.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 8 months ago #41736 by RyuJin
quite true...a fight on the street has no rules, no code of conduct/honor(though one or the other may exist)...that is my one knock on sparring...it's not truly spontaneous, it has rules, it's structured...i think the more styles a person knows the more options they have available to them...as my renshinken-ryu instructor said; practice until it's automatic...i use that in each style...i practice the techniques until i can do them by reflex, then when the need arises i don't even have to think about what style or technique to use it's already determined and initiated without thought...another advantage to knowing multiple styles is that you can fluidly move from one set of techniques to another...and if you practice blending techniques until they're automatic you kill 2 birds with 1 stone...one must be adaptive...much like water, flowing gently when needed and crashing down hard when needed.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 8 months ago #42172 by
In my opinion Muay Thai, Jujitsu, & Krav Maga. Sword play is awesome but not very practical, your better off getting some extendable baton self defense classes under your belt then get an electrified extendable baton. Just make sure they are legal in your state before you make your purchase.

Extends like lightsaber + (lol)
Taser effect adds intimidation factor but remains non-lethal +
One could become quite adapt with such a weapon as it would be easy to practice def/off forms +
May be a felony in your state -

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 8 months ago #42175 by Jestor
IF I ever am able, I would love to learn Muay Thai, as well as some Bo staff training....

I already instruct TKD, as well as work a full time job...

So when the TKD thing can support my family, as well as itself, then I may look into other styles....

There us never enough time.... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42429 by
I agree with Cardinal Haruki.

As someone who has had to adapt and change disciplines to accommodate injury and travel, my advice is similar - pick a form which appeals, feels right and suits your schedule and geography. As one of my teachers once said, "all virtuous paths lead to the same end, what is important is to choose a vehicle and apply oneself."

Martial Arts is incredibly enjoyable. Find a teacher who embraces the philosophy also, and you'll have twice as much benefit to share.

All the best of luck.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52592 by
I find that the art of ninjitsu is vere closely related to that of a jedi, as well as the fighting style it teaches patience and stealth, i find that many other martail arts focus on the fighting, although they teach you to defend your self, they dont teach you the importance of stealth and patience whilst fighting

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 2 months ago #52597 by Jestor

Harry Hess wrote: I find that the art of ninjitsu is vere closely related to that of a jedi, as well as the fighting style it teaches patience and stealth, i find that many other martail arts focus on the fighting, although they teach you to defend your self, they dont teach you the importance of stealth and patience whilst fighting

I really don't see the need for stealth...

But, maybe (most likely as we are all different people, with different perspectives), our ideas of what a Jedi is are different...

The self discipline that ninjitsu, as well as all martial arts, incorporates, is indeed a great asset...

And, I think that the discipline that they all teach includes patience...

Although, I guess I should only speak of the one which I know and practice... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 2 months ago #52602 by RyuJin
it really depends on the ones teaching, i've been to schools that neglect the spiritual aspect entirely and focus only on the physical, i've also been to schools that teach to strike first, strike fast, and strike hard, personally i've never been the kind to hit first, i prefer to let them make the first mistake...uh move, and then react accordingly...on the rare occassion that i teach, i balance the focus on the spiritual and physical aspects(i lump patience in the spiritual part)...

as to stealth being necessary...i've studied ninjutsu, and don't find much use for stealth in a day to day manner...however i do see it's value in both avoiding trouble and preventing it(by allowing to strike first)...while in the military i put my stealth skills to use frequently in base spec-ops(security swat) training...as jestor said though it's value will vary depending on one's view of what a jedi is...i see them as being able to fill a wide variety of roles...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52750 by

RyuJin wrote: i prefer to let them make the first mistake...uh move, and then react accordingly...

It sounds like RyuJin would be a Soresu master in the age of lightsabers. :lol:

For years I viewed taekwondo as useless for self-defense. Recently, though, I've thought of it more as a major source of self-discipline, which would help in the event of being attacked as well in a number of other situations. Also, martial arts keep you fit.

I liked ninjutsu for a while because it was "Hey, wanna see a trick? Too bad, I'm a ninja." It's mostly about the art of fleeing, which is much more likely to save your life than standing up to a fight.

If I had the opportunity, I'd study as many martial arts forms as possible. It all helps, and it's good for the mind, body, and spirit.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52816 by
Greetings Each

Here's something to chew over . Think about it before you snap a reply.

'The art of doing nothing'

I will give my reasons for this statement later assuming anyone replies mind lol

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi