Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40522 by
Greetings each

I have to say I am somewhat disturbed by some of the posts here. There does seem to be an increase of finding an 'Art' which which can do the most damage.Martial arts are not aggressive.Aggression is within the person attacking. If meet that with aggression the art will not work.

I also ,do not see the need to learn multiple arts..I went down that road once for 15 years and now I'm back where I started with one art which has everything as it has no margins and can be used by anyone ,even those with other abilities. ( I don't recognize the word disabled ).

However It is only my view of things and I am but a student in life.

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40523 by
Not nessecarily an "art" which can do the most damage, but one that is most effective. Learning Tae Kwan Do wouldn't help you on the ground. Jiu Jitsu has great capacity for breaking arms and such, but it also has the ability to put an opponent in a point of submission where breaking is not nessecary and you can subdue the opponent from attacking you further till authorities arrive.

I recommend Muy Thai and Sayoc Kali, because they are in fact effective. Some martial arts teach techniques that are merely for show, chops and twirling flying kicks. Where as those two martial arts are strictly for fighting purposes, that eliminate the need for unnessecary techniques that could and probably would get you killed in a streat fight.

You are correct in saying aggression is within the person and a CLEAR mind is key to surviving a fight. It is up to the individual person to know how to control their emotions and use their skills for good and protection.

Think of it this way. Which martial art would enable me to protect others the most? That's why I mentioned several because different situations call for different skills

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago #40530 by Jestor

Matthew wrote: Not nessecarily an "art" which can do the most damage, but one that is most effective. Learning Tae Kwan Do wouldn't help you on the ground.

I responded yesterday, but I have this tendencey to act like my word is law, which it is not, only my opinion.... So I deleted my post before I posted it...

I will go back a reread your post to see what you have said again, to make sure I have not misinterpetted you words... I also question, whether or not you have read this entire post, for I think you miss the point a bit...;)

And, I think you speak from inexperience... and youthfulness...

I study TKD, I study MooDukKwon style....

From my understanding, and I know little about BJJ, although I did go read some last night when you refered to many Martial Arts being watered down, BJJ is a sport...

It does, like so many MA's have a history, and it began as a sport between young men to keep fit, and their skills in hand to hand up...

MY 73 years old GrandMaster, would, IMO, whopps any MMA fighter out there of any age... THis is his life... He has seriously wounded people in his life...

Any martial art, worth its salt, can accomplish what it is you are striving to acheive...

BJJ concentrates on the ground, It is true, mine does not... the fight might eventually end on the ground, but, it begins standing... and if the BJJ artist is luck enough, it may get to the ground...

The similarity of the MA is undeniable, as I, and many others have stated, there are only so many combinations of ways a body can move... then it comes down to who is the most practiced, as well as many other factors...

A practiced M.Artist, is not there to fight, only to defend... Most aggressive people, not all, as there are bad apples everywhere, are unskilled, and have nowhere to focus their energy, thus it is scattered and a person with focus will ultimatly win...

A novice BJJ, or any lesser skilled MArtist, will loose to a skilled boxer, merely due to the lesser amount of training.... Not MMA is better than boxing... Boxer ain't even got any ground (that they practice like thier hands... lol...)

The watered down variety of the sport, which happens everywhere, is from bad teachers, and uninformed students who do not know what martial arts are... They loose the focus of the point of MA's...:woohoo:

This is all my oipinon, and you have yours, many others here have been doing MA, longer than you have been alive... I myself am at the 10 year mark, and realize how much more there is to learn...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #40536 by RyuJin
bruce lee had it right, no one style has all the answers, learn from many styles, take what works for you and discard what does not.

be water,
water is formless,
it can flow or it can crash,
when you put water in a cup it becomes the cup,

-bruce lee-

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40565 by
Apologies Jestor I did not read the entire thing nor was I mindful of others opinions. Speak only of what I know and there is much I need to learn as well.

RyuJin I agree. He was correct.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40570 by
It's my opinion (I probably mentioned it earlier in this thread but I'm gonna say it again!) that it's not just the physical practice but the intention that counts. There are many forms that focus on defeating an opponent by doing them damage (it's my personal experience of Muay Thai and Kickboxing that these come into that category) and there are others (Aikido, for example) that intend to disarm or disable without causing damage to yourself OR your opponent. Even within each form there are different teachers and mindsets so I think the important thing would be to find a style that resonates with your own personal philosophy. A Jedi seeks not to harm but to protect and if you can find a form that can achieve that while still being effective, then go for it, whatever it is! Your way IS the way...

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #40571 by Jestor
NO apologies necessary Matthew...:P ... As I said, I have this way of talking that can be misinterpetted in the written format... It is why I did not post my first post... Even I thought it sounded a little pissy... lol... Although, honestly, I do read most posts in entirety before I post... Many times the members are still there and ask, "did you read the whole thing?" I got burned a time or two...:woohoo:

I do agree about the 'watered down-edness' of many of the MA's available... And in this I will include my own style and classes... Many of them, because we do not 'live' them, forget the spiritual side of the art... They concentrate on the physical side, and the watered down versions, strickly on the point side, looking for a slap, or light punch to score a point... (we call it 'oylympic style', due to many of the "sport style" people not kicking for power, but for point, and not even concentrating on proper form...:blink:

These original people, such as my GrandMaster, (not just him, but many others), who grew up as a part of their culture, eat, slept, drank, were punished, beat, trained for hours, years, decades... They lived this life... They had to figure the spiritual side.. It was their life...

So many of my students, and I do try to live the life, but even I have trouble with it, have jobs, kids, air conditioning, laziness, soft bodies - that do not like pain, nor can endure much... This things contribute to them being watered down, in my opinion... For the true meaning of the art was lost... There was a time when the students took care of the MA studio... Now, my GM, cleans the toilets, and washes the mat, and vacuums the carpet, makes the general repairs... Something that never would have happened, had the old ways still be observed...:(

It is sad....

Mark Anjuu wrote: It's my opinion (I probably mentioned it earlier in this thread but I'm gonna say it again!) that it's not just the physical practice but the intention that counts. There are many forms that focus on defeating an opponent by doing them damage (it's my personal experience of Muay Thai and Kickboxing that these come into that category) and there are others (Aikido, for example) that intend to disarm or disable without causing damage to yourself OR your opponent. Even within each form there are different teachers and mindsets so I think the important thing would be to find a style that resonates with your own personal philosophy. A Jedi seeks not to harm but to protect and if you can find a form that can achieve that while still being effective, then go for it, whatever it is! Your way IS the way...

GM Mark, I know I have said this, because we practice it... This is the art of self control... (to me)... we learn how to execute a move, then we learn better, and better technique... Then we learn control and power...

We teach all the students these things... And you have to feel the pain, to understand the move... Not masochisticly, but a person has to learn, how to control... the opponent, the situation, the environment, whatever it is we can control... for our safety, and for the safety of those around us...

I can, in the same move, hold you in balance, teetering on pain, pit you in pain so you stop, or snap your limb so as to prevent you from causing further problems... (not you, but you know what I mean...;)...) So, require but the subtlest of suggestion, just the showing of the process, others, well, they only learn the hard way...:huh:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Jestor.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #40577 by RyuJin

Jestor wrote: Many of them, because we do not 'live' them, forget the spiritual side of the art... They concentrate on the physical side, and the watered down versions, strickly on the point side, looking for a slap, or light punch to score a point...

you hit the nail on the head right there, all martial arts lose something when they neglect or abandon the spiritual aspect....they simply become another form of brutality....pure destructive instinct...

most watered down martial arts tend to forget that there is more then one way to use the techniques,a punch isn't always a punch, a block isn't always a block....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40841 by
when I was in high school I studied Tae Kwon Do. My instructor was from Korea, was in fact, Mr. Korea (Mr. Universe) at some point. I always asked, "what about meditation". He'd shake his head and say don't worry about it, your movement is your meditation. Then he would ride us like a taskmaster so that we could win trophies at the next competition.

After some time, I figured out that this was not the right school for me.

My main background is in Presas Modern Arnis. I've also studied JKD but there's been a lot of political crap between different schools I've studied with about what is and is not authentic JKD so I've given up even associating with them.

I studied with a private instructor for a while as well who studied in several schools of FMA.

I've had the privledge of attending seminars with Dan Inosanto, Hock Hockheim, and Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny.

Like most I will say that there is no "one" art for Jedi. It's whatever art speaks to you. Like Bruce used to say, "There is no superior martial art, only superior martial artists".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40842 by
I think Taoist Tao chi would be a good Martail Art for a Jedi to practice, because the goal of it is not for offncive perpusesm, but Tai Chi generally provides health benefits.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi