Which is the best martial art(s) for a jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #31100 by
I think the question referred to Jedi principles and teachings, which would involve a concern for your opponent, non-aggressive intent, engaging and using the Force, etc. I would be interested to hear your opinion on which martial art encapsulates the Jedi teachings - there's a link at the bottom of the front page if you need to re-read them.

MTFBWY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 11 months ago #31104 by RyuJin
i stick by my view that the best style varies from person to person, you have to look at what style works best for your personality, body, and abilities. trying to force yourself to fit into a specific style will not yield the results you want. while it is true that some styles are more aggressive then others that should only play a part in the decision process. you should make a full and thorough examination of all your available options, then choose the one that best matches your criteria...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #31106 by
Body composition has very little to do (if anything at all) with what makes a sound martial methodology. All martial arts use body biomechanics (or at least, they should...) to maximize leverage, power, ect. As long as the people in question all have four limbs and similar joints to match, they all work on the same biomechanics. Any system can be used defensively or offensively.

Mark, the Jedi that I saw in the movies didn't have much in the way of concern or non-aggressive intent for their opponents. Darth Maul was cut in half, clone troopers dispatched by the thousands, beasts with legs cut off, creatures stabbed, and plenty of hands cut off in the process. When you're at peace, be at peace. When it's time to open up a can of WA, open it up. Connection to the 'force' is completely an individual thing, so you can utilize it in any martial endeavor (\"If you understand the Way broadly, it will be apparent in everything.\" says Miyamoto Musashi).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #31107 by
Personally, I currently study a style of kickboxing that incorporates Fudoshin karate but I find it very offensive and without the level of Qi development that I want from a martial art. So I'm looking into Aikido or Tai Chi for that reason, which I feel closer represents my own Jedi ideals.

On the subject of the Jedi way, you seem to be confusing the movie Jedi with us. Although Jediism is inspired by the films, the practices can be very different. They were recognised, official peace-keepers and therefore needed to be offensive at times, in the same way that our police forces operate. We, as Jedi, do not hold that much authority and therefore do not need to act in the same way. I would rather protect myself (and those that need it) in as passive a way as possible (i.e. disabling my opponent without crippling them) instead of just opening that can of WA and seeing what happens.

But like RyuJin says, each person should find the style that resonates with them, otherwise you're just forcing yourself to use a technique based on someone else's opinion of what's best.

MTFBWY

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 11 months ago #31110 by Jestor
I believe it is stated somewhere earlier in this thread, but I will repeat...

Martial arts were originally because the ruling nations forbid the peasants to use or own weapons....... They were practiced under the guise of workout type programs.... Now, the major thing one should worry about is, 1) does your instructor seem competant, 2) is it interesting to you, and lastly, 3) are you physically able to ATEMPT the moves....

I am not the most flexible, therefore Caperia (sp) is not the style for me. Aggressive style, passive style, it will come out in the artist.

I can stop a punch by:
1) moving, low impact, no pain for either party...
2) blocking, hard/soft (what is my intention)
3) block and counterstrike basic technique
4) block and counterstrike moderate technique
5 block and counterstrike advanced technique
6) move before the attacker, merely based on a threating posture

What is MY intention? Safety of me and those around me? Or to maim and seriously harm my opponent?

I guess what I am trying to say, it is like asking who your favorite baseball team is and why.... What is your favorite food, why?

Do some research.... There is not a Ninjitsu school even in my area... So I think I can count that style out.... Look in the phone book and on Internet, see what even offered.

Go visit the school, talk to the other students. Talk to friends.

And one last thing... Personality...

A more aggressive style will probably appeal to a more aggressive person, where a more subdued, peaceful flowing style would appeal to another....

But again, it is your intention that is the final decision what your action is.... If you wanna hurt someone, you will...
Good luck... Jestor....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #31116 by
If we open a can of WA, we already know what will happen. :)

If (and what a huge 'if' that is) you can disable your opponent peacefully and without injury to them, that's great and I'm all for it. However, speaking only from my own experience, I am yet to see any aikido or taiji 'passive' techniques that work against non-compliant training partners, let alone an individual that outweighs you by 80 pounds and is half drunk and all pissed off.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 11 months ago #31117 by RyuJin
i have used jiu-jitsu holds on several occassions to subdue very nasty people without causing any lasting damage...when possible i only keep the hold long enough for them to either calm down or realize they can't win...of course there have been instances where i had to render them unconscious...i prefer not to cause harm, however i know enough techniques and styles that if need be i can do severe harm, i just don't like to because it always burdens me to know i had to resort to that level....use of force is sometimes necessary, but i prefer to use just enough force to solve the situation without risking injury to anyone.....after all self defense is suppose to be defense not a shock and awe display of firepower....look at nature most animals don't fight to the death for defense, they fight until they get a way out of the situation then the fight is over...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #31135 by
I completely agree with RyuJin. I have used it many times for control of an out of control person with pain compliance/non damaging techniques used to subdue an opponent.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 10 months ago #40349 by
I study Brazilian Jui Jitsu I also par take in MMA. This their is a lot of similarities seen in BJJ that are seen in Jediism.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 9 months ago #40513 by
3 Martial Arts I would recommend learning.

1. (Brazillian) Jiu Jitsu: why? fights generally go to the ground, knowing how to put the enemy into a point of submission where physical aggression is no longer needed. It is generally less lethal then a striking martial arts and can be used effectively all the time.

2. Muy Thai: why? because it is an agressive martial art and unlike other martial arts which have been "watered down" for competition purposes only, it is still used in the world for fighting (to the death if nessecary).

3. Sayoc Kali: why? because carrying a bokken or a katana isn't practical, if something bad were to happen you would probably not have either in the situation. The karambit in particular is an effective tool of self defense and offense. It is easily concealable and good to have on you at all times. And again this martial art has not been "watered down" for competition purposes only.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi