Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145997 by

Jamie Stick wrote:

The Owl wrote:

Jestor wrote: I'm no lawyer, lol...

I was informed as long as we are not "for profit" we were left alone...

Those sites, zazzle and cafe press are "for profit" sites...

For more info, I'll defer to Br. John, lol....

I see where the contradiction lies. The religion being NFP is allowed to generate income but not so much that it would be deemed a for profit enterprise.

Not quite, a non-profit organization is a corporation like many others, except that it has no shares and no shareholders. It isn't publicly traded, but it is held accountable to the public (anyone can request an accounting of TOTJO's financial holdings). Board members, directors, and officers of a non-profit cannot receive compensation, but managers, administrative staff, and such are allowed to receive decent salaries. Basically, a non-profit is headed by a board of volunteers.

Source: legal dictionary

However there is a thin line between a decent salary and what is deemed excessive. That is to say if any member receives more than is "justified" they would be there for reward and thus the whole thing deemed a for profit exercise. There was someone disputing a church officials salary in the paper not so long ago. As for the "justified" salary I have no idea how they work that out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #145998 by Jestor
Lol....

Off topic, and we are all volunteer...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

More
9 years 11 months ago #146001 by Llama Su
Forgiveness if this has been brought up, I did not get a chance to read through the pages, let me share with you my thoughts, if you will...

The Temple has a logo, which works for us, and in turn works in the same effect as any other copyrighted logo...

I find copyright infringement would be in affect is if we attempted to sell a product without the consent of the owner of the Star Wars franchise, which we explicitly state we are unaffiliated with...
Take the toy makers for example, they make Star Wars toys to sell, for profit, they either got the consent, or bought the use to put the name on the package... We are chump change, pennies, compared to the massive franchise universe of Star Wars, if we shown significant profit from using the word Jedi, I suppose I could see a legal issue... Still, we do not market the temple Jedi, as the Star Wars Jedi... Our logo, is not the Star Wars logo...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #146053 by
There's a band called Jedi Mind Trick so with that in mind and the fact that Jediism is a recognized religion there shouldn't be any legal issues with using the word. Besides, I would say that the word has crossed into public domain, a cultural concept, because it has become synonymous with someone extraordinarily skilled. Of course, a disclaimer stating the lack of affiliation with the Star Wars brand would probably be a good idea.

A Temple would be beautiful but I think it's hard to "just" plan and do, it's a thing that needs to grow organically by people meeting regularly, increasing in numbers and from that build the new for a dedicated site. Why a park or similar wouldn't fulfill the need in the same manner is, to me, a matter of privacy. When engaging in my spiritual beliefs I don't want curious onlookers around since my spirituality is deeply personal and something I don't feel like sharing with anyone but other like-minded*. And I certainly don't want it to be some kind of show for random passer-by's, that would be too intrusive and disruptive.
A Temple would grant the level of privacy I'd like.
But it will have to grow from need and not desire.

*This is not meant as elitist as it may sound, I just didn't know how express better.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #146066 by Jestor

Llama Su wrote: Forgiveness if this has been brought up, I did not get a chance to read through the pages, let me share with you my thoughts, if you will...

That's all anyone has to offer, lol... I picked your quote cause its closest, :lol:....

You [an individual] can have all the thoughts and opinions we want....

But, when it comes to the law, well, the word "Jedi" is trademarked, and in a legal battle, that's what counts...

Unless some here is a lawyer, and can argue the point in a court of law, it make no sense for us to claim anything...

"Acceptance" is key....

We can only deal with "what is", not what "ought to be" or "what we think it should be"...

There merely is, "what is"....

Thank you Calem, back to the thread title topic...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 5 months ago #167041 by rugadd
LOL!

I already know how this is going to work: I'm going to buy the land myself, build my temple as a monastic get-away for Jedi and then donate to the Temple when I die. See? Now none of you have to worry about it anymore! B)

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167042 by
Okay, someone needs to win the lottery and donate some of the winnings towards this project. :lol:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167046 by
Goodness....17 pages....Im still reading. >_>

Let me at least say....As one of the Organizers/Co-Organizors of Jedi Gatherings since the Year of 2004 I can Accurately say that Texas is a terrible place to put up any sort of building dedicated to Gathering/Meet Up/Training.

A large percentage of memberships who actually do participate and have proven dedicated to meeting offline resides in the Michigan/Illinois-Chicago/Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky regions.

Those semi active in offline events upon the west coast would be in California.

If something was ever built....it would be my suggestion to follow the Gathered Communities area of most population.

Honestly I would put it on the boarder of IL & MI right next to the Great Lakes tip. But thats just me from years of researching events and location for Offline Gatherings. *Shurgs*

At the long and the short of it. Unless the land is owned by one charitable person willing to loan it out for gathering/offline events. A physical location is not practical. Gatherings happen all over the United States and Never repeated in one location. This is because we try to reach out to everyone in the US and recognize that other Jedi cannot pay for the expenses of travel. This year it was in Michigan. Next year 2015 it is in Indiana and Colorado.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167049 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: Goodness....17 pages....Im still reading. >_>

Let me at least say....As one of the Organizers/Co-Organizors of Jedi Gatherings since the Year of 2004 I can Accurately say that Texas is a terrible place to put up any sort of building dedicated to Gathering/Meet Up/Training.

A large percentage of memberships who actually do participate and have proven dedicated to meeting offline resides in the Michigan/Illinois-Chicago/Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky regions.

Those semi active in offline events upon the west coast would be in California.

If something was ever built....it would be my suggestion to follow the Gathered Communities are of most population.

Honestly I would put it on the boarder of IL & MI right next to the Great Lakes tip. But thats just me from years of researching events and location for Offline Gatherings. *Shurgs*

At the long and the short of it. Unless the land is owned by one charitable person willing to loan it out for gathering/offline events. A physical location is not practical. Gatherings happen all over the United States and Never repeated in one location. This is because we try to reach out to everyone in the US and recognize that other Jedi cannot pay for the expenses of travel. This year it was in Michigan. Next year 2015 it is in Indiana and Colorado.

Yes, however that is with your current data. That is not including our data, and that is not including the likelyhood of growth of membership over the years

With growth comes new needs. One day, maybe not now, there will be a need, and a stronger desire for a physical location. From what I read is that one of the main reasons for Texas was land prices. I've lived up in that area before. Its extremely expensive. (Don't get me started on the cigarette prices). So logically, for the first Temple, you would want a location where there is a strong influx of members, but ALSO since it would be a time of growth, the financial aspect of things has also got to be thought of. I believe when ever the first physical Temple is created, it will get the word out even more and I do believe you will have more and more members flocking to the religion. With more members comes more donations. More donations yield other Temples, in other areas of the country. Which equal even more exposure, members, and donations. It eon't be done in a day, a year or several. It will require a lot of dedicated members of the clergy, council members, and parishioners, howeverbi do believe in the future it will be applicable, and will be done.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167050 by
I wasn't disagreeing with any of that. Heck...I have plans and layout for and entire Retreat Center with everything a community would need to sustain itself offline XD

I was merely disagreeing with the location :) I would not put it in texas.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi