BBC News - "Have Jedis created a new religion?"

More
9 years 5 months ago #166790 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote:
YOu dont have to post here if the loss of your rights bothers you...

Actually, as has been noted time and again in countless forums, I do if I wish to actually be a participating, ranking member of this organization, because offline coursework has been routinely shot-down because it has to be submitted here for the record. Unless I've misread every single thread we've ever had about "physical temples" and offline studies. Either I submit my stuff (and lose rights to my work), or someone submits it for me (and i lose rights to my work), or TOTJO clarifies that it only wants reproduction rights (and i keep ownership of my work), or I don't get a rank here. Which, from an IP standpoint, is bollocks.

Jestor wrote: SO, what about this?

Ok, so does three instances make it a "over empahization" to you?

I am asking...

It isn't about the number of times it appears so much as it is the extremely defensive wording. Which, again, reinforces the stigma against Star Wars in a religion based on Star Wars.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166802 by

steamboat28 wrote: It isn't about the number of times it appears so much as it is the extremely defensive wording. Which, again, reinforces the stigma against Star Wars in a religion based on Star Wars.

What is so offensive and/or defensive about the disclaimer? Offensive to who? The ones who use star wars as a means of expressive freedom and choose to dawn outfits that the Jedi of Myth wore? If so, where is the backlash fr those people saying we are offending them. Secondly to that point, if it was true, what in the post is considered offensive? The term of roleplayer? I do believe they first created that term, just as they created the term LARP, Live Action Role Play.

Defensive? To who? I am assuming you mean us, the members of this Temple, clergy, council etc, are defensive at the term role play or being associated with role play? Possibly, I have seen many people get all heated up about being compared to people who dress up for fun, and enjoyment, opposed to people who are following this path in a serious manner to enlightenment. That flaw in emotions would be some what understandable. Whoever I do not believe that is the intent. Back when this site was made, Jediism was not as well known as it is today, so back then there were probably a lot more confusion between role players and a religious organization, so that distinction was necessary. If I was a role-player looking for a site to join, I would want to know if this was a website for me, or am I wasting time, and giving out my personal information (name, email, IP address etc) to a website I would not use.

However, I think all this hott air over this is rubbish, IMO. Who cares what other people think or call you. As long as YOU know who and what you are, what difference does it make. If anyone joins here, and actually reads with an open mind, they will understand. If they don't, and come with a closed mind, well then the Jedi Path wasn't for them, and they were meant for a different path.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166822 by

Revan Falton wrote: However, I think all this hott air over this is rubbish, IMO.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns over potential flaws in the word makeup of our disclaimer. The council shall discuss this during our Saturday meeting and decide if we should make any changes or not. Your concerns are very appreciated and shows the dedication and love you hold for this Temple and it's continued pursuit at improving our framework."

Coz...well you know...sounds much more supportive to one's members than dismissivly waving our concerns off as "Hott air over rubbish...." But...your just a member and have little sway on the Councils actions... so...I wont hold it against you ;) :P

Who cares what other people think or call you.

I do actually. Self image and representation means quite alot to me. As Jedi, a Knight and Keeper of GFC, and Mother of two beautiful daughters...I do care very much.

As long as YOU know who and what you are, what difference does it make. If anyone joins here, and actually reads with an open mind, they will understand. If they don't, and come with a closed mind, well then the Jedi Path wasn't for them, and they were meant for a different path.

Or...it could have been for them but were scared away before given a chance to learn self discovery and confidence and a New thing.

Just...ya know...saying.... :whistle:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166824 by

Homepage wrote: We are not a community of Star Wars roleplayers, but a church of a genuine religion, Jediism. The Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe.

Is it defensive?

Role-players would be those people who are imitating the Jedi found within Star Wars, we are making the distinction that we are not trying to "imitate" them. Of course there are a great many similarities, but whereas role-players might focus on costumes, names, conventions and pretending to use the Force (through telekinesis or whatever), the disclaimer is saying that this Temple is not focused on that.

That might be pretty useful information for someone looking to find a place where they can talk about costumes/names etc. Of course the two are not mutually exclusive, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't better inform people about the primary purpose of this site.

Temple of the Jedi Order is a non-profit organisation. We have a presence on several different platforms, one of those is this site and another is on facebook (there are also others). Is it all that strange that the same information that appears on one front page of one site wouldn't also appear on another front page of another site? Facebook is primarily used to promote this site by saying "Hello look! We're over here!" so informing people about what sort of stuff they will find there is probably a pretty good idea.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166826 by

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Who cares what other people think or call you.

I do actually. Self image and representation means quite alot to me. As Jedi, a Knight and Keeper of GFC, and Mother of two beautiful daughters...I do care very much

So from what I am gathering from this is that you'd potentionally Change your way of life, beliefs etc and that of your children based on how people view you should be? You know, popularity etc etc, just to fit in.

I could give a wooden nickel if a person does or does not like my personal beliefs, and way of life. Its MY BELIEFS, my life, not theirs. So if they feel the need to reject me, mock, or critizes me based ony beliefs, that is their right. However it is also my right to choose to separate myself from those negative influences. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166828 by

Akkarin wrote: tThat might be pretty useful information for someone looking to find a place where they can talk about costumes/names etc. Of course the two are not mutually exclusive, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't better inform people about the primary purpose of this site.

So pretty much what I was saying when I stated if I was a Role-player I would want a website to tell me what its intent and purpose was so I would not waste my time? B)

More
9 years 5 months ago #166830 by steamboat28

Akkarin wrote: Is it defensive?

Forgive me; I was more specifically referring to the wording of the Facebook example. Wording which is routinely trotted out (or something very similar to it) when we post things in other places, or discuss things in other threads. The Facebook text does seem defensive to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166832 by

Revan Falton wrote: So from what I am gathering from this is that you'd potentionally Change your way of life, beliefs etc and that of your children based on how people view you should be? You know, popularity etc etc, just to fit in.

I never said that did I? :laugh:

When you walk into a business seeking a job, do you do so in your street clothes because. You know? "could give a wooden nickel if a person does or does not like my personal beliefs" Or would you dress up nicely and put on a polite smile and present yourself in a professional manner so as to give the best representation of yourself and your beliefs? Just because we don't agree with each other doesn't mean we need be disrespectful about it.

Since, on the internet, we cannot give impressions of ourselves visually and through the appearance's of our actions, dress, and manners of speech. I feel, it is equally important to ensure our written words are "Dressed Up" with the same level of professionalism as we would when seeking a job or representing a business. Especially on our front pages and welcoming platforms into what we concider and call "Our Temples."

Therefore Instead of blatantly saying "We are not Roleplayers." as it does give off the intonations of accusation and an air of "Omg! Were not one of 'Them'" I would instead say.

"We are a Church of a new age religious movement called, Jediism. The Jedi at this site are not exactly the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Instead we focus and apply the great inspirations of our historic pasts that influenced George Lucas such as but not limited to Alan Watts, Joseph Campbells 'The Power of Myth' and other philosophical aspirations that inevitably lead up to the making of the Star Wars franchise. This is a place of study, education and reflection and ask that all members looking to join our Church please keep on topic provided in our halls."

or...something similar to that....

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166833 by Proteus
This is rather funny really... considering recent events with charters, procedures, etc....

"Why have that disclaimer on the front page?"

I imagine we take off the disclaimer..

Roleplayers slowly begin populating TOTJO... then comes the disagreements, the arguments, and the confusion...

"Well, why won't you just clarify on the front page that this site isn't for roleplayers???"

:blink: :whistle:

:laugh:

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166835 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: When you walk into a business seeking a job, do you do so in your street clothes because. You know? "could give a wooden nickel if a person does or does not like my personal beliefs" Or would you dress up nicely and put on a polite smile and present yourself in a professional manner so as to give the best representation of yourself and your beliefs? Just because we don't agree with each other doesn't mean we need be disrespectful about it.

Just to inform you there is a difference between a job interview, and personal religious beliefs. An employer can not discriminate against you based upon, race, sex, age, religious beliefs, etc upon highering. The only thing they can judge you upon during your interview is your qualifications, your attitude, and honestly the vibe they get from you. Personal life and work life are separate entities. Yes, dress up for your interview, put on your best face to get the job, because you need the job. However, do you need the acceptance of everyone for your personal life? No. All you are doing is living your life the best way you see fit.

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135