BBC News - "Have Jedis created a new religion?"

More
9 years 5 months ago #166736 by steamboat28

tzb wrote: By the way, I don't feel that disclaimer excludes those who like cosplay... it's just not the primary focus of this Temple.

There comes a point, though, when overemphasizing something can take on a meaning different than intended. With the first thing you see on every TotJO related web-presence being this disclaimer, it tends to look rather like we're focused on those "cosplay" types, but in the negative. As though we're so frustrated with being constantly compared to them that we assume everyone, at first glance, will do so, and get defensive up front.

Perhaps, in the future, this is something we could do through positive education and not negatively-toned disclaimers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166738 by
On the contrary, I think it's precisely for the benefit of people who want a cosplay site... "Sorry, you haven't found it".

It's putting others first... what could be more Jedi? ;)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #166739 by Jestor
I dont believe it is overemphasized...

As a matter of fact, besides the front page, and maybe the FAQ, where else do you find it?

I am seriously asking...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

More
9 years 5 months ago #166741 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote: As a matter of fact, besides the front page, and maybe the FAQ, where else do you find it?

A direct quote from the About section of the Facebook page is a good example:

BEFORE ANYONE GETS OVER EXCITED!!! WHAT THE JEDI ARE NOT ABOUT.

First of all this is not a role playing site, we are not role players, we are the real deal. Jediism is a life long commitment to understanding, tolerance, harmony, and learning among many other things.

Whilst many of the members do enjoy the Star Wars films etc, we are not Star Wars fans or ‘Geeks’ and we are not affiliated with any of LucasArts or George Lucas Products, the name and term ‘Jedi’ just happens to fit our philosophies.

www.templeofthejediorder.org

Emphasis mine.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166742 by
The front page is addressing the most common conception of what real-world Jedi are (roleplayers) first, which strikes me as pretty sensible.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

More
9 years 5 months ago #166743 by steamboat28

tzb wrote: It's addressing the most common conception of what real-world Jedi are (roleplayers) first, which strikes me as pretty sensible.

Do we have data on how common that conception is, or are we assuming based on personal experience and a small sample size?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #166745 by Jestor

steamboat28 wrote:

Jestor wrote: As a matter of fact, besides the front page, and maybe the FAQ, where else do you find it?

A direct quote from the About section of the Facebook page is a good example:

BEFORE ANYONE GETS OVER EXCITED!!! WHAT THE JEDI ARE NOT ABOUT.

First of all this is not a role playing site, we are not role players, we are the real deal. Jediism is a life long commitment to understanding, tolerance, harmony, and learning among many other things.

Whilst many of the members do enjoy the Star Wars films etc, we are not Star Wars fans or ‘Geeks’ and we are not affiliated with any of LucasArts or George Lucas Products, the name and term ‘Jedi’ just happens to fit our philosophies.

www.templeofthejediorder.org

Emphasis mine.

SO, the "FAQ" of the Facebook page?

Which is a separate site?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166746 by

steamboat28 wrote:

tzb wrote: It's addressing the most common conception of what real-world Jedi are (roleplayers) first, which strikes me as pretty sensible.

Do we have data on how common that conception is, or are we assuming based on personal experience and a small sample size?

No idea, this is primarily based on rarely if ever seeing evidence to the contrary. Happy to admit my subjective opinion is based on my subjective experience.

More
9 years 5 months ago #166748 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote: SO, the "FAQ" of the Facebook page?

Yes, and is more likely to be casually visited than this one. Again, I'm not trying to be a smart-a**, but I think that if we intend to keep all these disclaimers (which I really don't think we need), then perhaps we should reword them so they don't sound quite so...defensive?

I mean, to be fair, I am a Jedi (arguably) by the definitions stated within these virtual walls, and I still find those disclaimers to be off-putting. I mean, I hung out with scads of Scotsman this week, and not one of them needed a sign with a crossed-out white hood that said "NOT THAT KIND OF CLAN". I've had conversations with tons of pagans this week, none of whom needed a broad reminder that they aren't into human sacrifice or broomsticks. And none of the churches I've ever attended felt the need to start conversations by distancing themselves from Westboro. Those distinctions are best left to conversation on an individual level, or through some form of positively-worded identification or education. I think these negatively-worded disclaimers jump the gun, sound defensive, and perpetuate threads like this where half the participants think robes are cool for gaming conventions or movie premieres, and the other half seems to think they're the absolute devil in regards to our group's acceptance as an actual faith.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166753 by

Jestor wrote:
SO, the "FAQ" of the Facebook page?

Why would you have a temple of the Jedi order facebook page and mark it as.....separate? Facebook and website are one and the same is it not? Same members, same name, same disclaimers, same intent and purpose.....How is it a "Separate" site? Just...out of curiosity. Never heard of two temple of the jedi order "sites" before....

Edit: Sorry for the De-rail, i was genuinely curious...I usually use facebook as an advertising medium for GFC. Whenever GFC is updated or has something important done...It gets announced on facebook because Facebook is far more popular than website/forums these days and facebook announces on apps everywhere so, yea...anyways. :dry:
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .